Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The U18's Thread....

V Hampton

An easy 4-1 win for the lads with Reno 2, Mitch and Conner M on the scoresheet. Not easy to play football with a strong wind whipping accross the pitch but 2 cracking strikes from Mitch and conner were worth the admission alone.

V Met Police in the League Cup

The lads ran out 3-0 winners, Rino x2 (1pen) and Connor Moody.

Never really got into top gear but having said that the Mets keeper kept them in the game with 5 or 6 good saves.

Well done Gents!!

• 3 weeks later...

The Under-18s will be away to Uxbridge or Bedfont Sports in the Quarter Final, with one of Hanworth Villa, Enfield Town or Staines Town as potential Semi Final opponents (away) should they progress further.

To answer Whitelaw's very valid point about regionalisation of the Middlesex Cups, it turns out that only the First Round of each cup can be manipulated by hand. Last night's tie was in the Second Round... All Middlesex FA cup draws are computerised, so once the relevant people have set up the competition, that's it. This was discussed at a recent meeting of the Running The Game Group, which is where clubs and Leagues can feed back to the County FA about things that are going well, or not so well. There was much discussion around the Cups at all levels, including regionalisation and seeding of the Youth competitions and these are being looked at.

There are lots of solid practical reasons for running automated draws, but if MCFA can find a way of improving them then that can only be a good thing. Some of the journeys in this round are daft, to use Whitelaw's word and MCFA does recognise that.

Thanks Gareth, it's good that you keep us informed and I accept that by working for MCFA, you become something of an Aunt Sally for us at Ashford.

That said, if a small cup competition (in terms of numbers of entrants) cannot be drawn by hand throughout the competition and then input into the relevant computer system, there is something wrong with that system. If the 1st Round draw can be "manipulated", why not the remaining rounds?

Hanworth Villa beat Lammas 4-1 last night in the Help for Heroes Cup by the way

There is something wrong with the system, which is why it's being reviewed.

It's an FA-designed application, which is used by all County FAs for all kind of things, not just Cups. Unfortunately, the system is very old (in IT terms). I don't know much about the nuts and bolts of it, but my colleagues tell me they can only do anything with the First Round. Once the draws are in the database, they automatically appear on the website and updating the results is a swift process.

The problem is, the way the systems (and the website) are set up, I think you either automate all your Cups, or none of them. Going back to manual draws will create lots more admin, plus more website work for me. With 25 competitions at all age groups we cannot go back to making draws by hand in that many Cups - it's not practical. However, there are lots of ideas we can (and do) look at to try and resolve this issue.

Vs Harrow Boro

An out of chacracter, lackluster performance from the lads ended 1-1 with Rinoh equalising from the spot on 90 minutes.

bad day at the office, so we can put it to bed and move onto the next game.

Edit: I have now read the website!

If the damage is serious enough, then there would be no reason why we wouldn't ask Harrow Borough to pay for it, but those who were there would have the decision.

Edited by Beano

They damaged the whole club house roof too! New roof please! ;)

also they knocked down the 500 seater stand at the Short lane end :)

Seriously though, there was some damage to our changing room door, which was punched as the Boro player/s left the changing rooms for the second half. For the life of me i dont know why, because the first half was as dull as dishwater, with hardly so much as an aggressive look, let alone challenge. However having said that, if you are 18 and being coached by a manager that calls an opponents lad "a little Pussy" during the game, it gives you a clue.

The senior committee member will no doubt decide if to take matters further.

• 5 weeks later...

The lads were absolutely superb last night and Alan's report is right that their pitch was in perfect condition, this allowed our lads to keep the ball on the floor and play the ball around effortlessly.

Rinor was able to finish off some great team moves, but the effort all round from the team was tremendous, they worked their socks off all evening against a very decent side, there was no man of the match for me really, they all performed well!

We end the year on a great high, top of the league and still in both cups with the added fact that we are progressing players into first team football!

I would put my neck out to say that this set of lads is the most talented that I have worked with at 18s level and the team dynamic is like no other, they are passionate about what we are trying to achieve!