Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

RIP Gary Speed - Wales Manager

Ian_W

RIP Gary Speed - Wales Manager, who has died aged 42.

The Football Association of Wales (FAW) has told the BBC it appears Speed, the national manager for nearly a year, killed himself.

Cheshire Police confirmed he was found dead at 07:08 GMT at his home in Huntington, Chester. They said there were no suspicious circumstances.

First Minister Carwyn Jones called it "devastating news" and said he was deeply saddened.

He said: "Our thoughts are with his family at what must be a very difficult time for them."

Gary-Speed-007.jpg

The FAW said: "We extend our sympathies and condolences to the family.

"We ask that everyone respects the family's privacy at this very sad time."

The FAW added: "That this tragedy should have overtaken someone so young and talented is a huge loss not only for his family and friends but a nation as a whole."

Speed, who was awarded the MBE in the 2010 Birthday Honours for his services to football, leaves a wife and two children.

Phil Pritchard, FAW president, said they would do "whatever we can" to help Speed's family.

In a statement, Cheshire Police said: "At 7.08am on Sunday 27th November Cheshire Police was informed of a sudden death at an address in Huntington in Chester.

"Officers went to the scene where a 42-year-old man was found dead.

"The next of kin have been informed and have confirmed the identity of the man as Gary Speed.

85 caps

"There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death and the family have requested that they are left in peace to grieve at this difficult time.

Police said a family tribute will be issued later.

Speed had appeared on BBC1's Football Focus show on Saturday afternoon, just hours before his death.

Footballers and celebrities began issuing tributes within minutes of the news.

Former Wales team mate, Robbie Savage, Tweeted: "The world has lost a great man in Gary speed I'm devastated spoke to him yesterday morning why ! Why. Why !! I'll miss him so much x

"He come to watch strictly 3/4 weeks ago I high fived him in the front row he loved the show ,he loved life he loved his family ! Devastated".

Speed, born in Mancot, Flintshire, took over the Wales job in December 2010, and earlier this month, said the side's rapid improvement had exceeded all expectations.

A 4-1 friendly win over Norway represented a third successive win for Wales, and Speed's fifth in 10 games as manager.

At the time, he said: "We've progressed further than I'd have thought in this space of time but we've still got a lot of work to do."

'Stunned and saddened'

Speed won 85 caps for his country during a 14-year international career.

He was given the top job in Welsh football despite only having four months managerial experience.

Speed began his playing career at Leeds United after coming through the trainee ranks, and was part of the side that won the last Football League title in 1992, before the introduction of the Premier League.

A Leeds spokesman said the club was "stunned and saddened" by the news.

He was handed his Wales debut as a 20-year-old in the 1-0 friendly win over Costa Rica in May 1990.

He left Leeds in 1996 after 312 appearances to join Everton - who he went on to captain - in a £3.5m move.

Seven goals

Newcastle followed, in a £5.5m switch in 1998. During his six years with the Magpies, he suffered two FA Cup final defeats, but enjoyed a taste of Champions League football.

He then spent four years with Bolton Wanderers after agreeing a £750,000 move.

Speed became the first player to reach 500 Premier League appearances.

He retired from international duty in 2004, having scored seven goals and captaining his country 44 times.

Speed's final appearance came in 3-2 World Cup qualifying defeat by Poland in October 2004.

His tally of 85 caps is a record for an outfield player.

bbc.co.uk

I heard an interview with Tony cottee a few weeks back where he said for years after he stopped playing he struggled to get back into normal life and many other footballers suffered.He said one minute you are scoring in front of 50'000 fans and there is possibly nothing in life that can equate to that sensation,the next minute you are just an ex footballer,almost a nobody and at times he said there was nothing that could replace it and at times he felt lonely.Not sure if this was part of the reason,maybe his ilness had come back as he had cancer before?

Shocking news folks, the Wales Manager Gary Speed found dead earlier today following an apparent suicide, RIP:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/wales/8918650/Gary-Speed-found-dead.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2066811/Gary-Speed-dies-aged-42.html

Rhodes,we do know,that's why this thread was started,just add any links,no need to make it sound like you are telling us something new.

To add to this thread,just spoke to a mate that knew him,he says that although he didn't know why he killed himself,it could possibly be something the press had found out about him,without going into details on a sad day.Hope this isn't the case to be honest as he always came across as a top fella

There seems to be a few things flying around various forums/networking sites regarding why speed took his own life.

Some have said it was depression,others have said a bad story was going to break that would ruin him and another one was that perhaps his wife had been upto something but I don't really buy that and not too sure if I think he was depressed.Got a feeling there's more to this than meets the eye,to take your own life when it appears you have everything just seems very odd,he may well of been depressed but usually there are little signs that people close to you see,all the reports are of someone who didn't seem to have a care in the world,was arranging a busy social week including golf with shearer next week,it just doesn't make sense.

Very tragic, I can't imagine what was going through his mind, to do such a thing in the family home where his wife and children live, the mind boggles.

No mention of a note or letter and so early in the morning too. To wake up (If he'd slept) and to do that. He must have been unhinged at that very moment, not to have thought of the consequences for loved ones left behind.

Am I the only one who is feeling sorry for him and angry with him at the same time?

Edited by Hookey

I just have this feeling that he was told a story would run,he may of had a few drinks and in a state decided this was the only way out.It may not be that but I really can't see it being depression,it just doesn't seem to add up to that

Agreed, I think if it was depression someone close to him would have picked up on it.

I know it's pointless speculating but to do it in the family home makes me think he was maybe making a point. e.g. if his wife had said I'm leaving you and taking the children, I know that if I was in that situation it would destroy me.

Tonight's MOTD 2 is going to be very sombre.

Edited by Hookey