Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

is the season over

haynab66

after our latest home defeat to cray is our season now over and should we start planning for next season and making sure we dont get dragged into a relegation scrap, if the teams in the play offs now win half their remaining games which is easily achievable we would have to win 14 of our remaining 18 games which as much as i hope cant be done, after 24 games last season we had 37 points so as a team we have gone backwards, our home form is dreadful but we have only won 1 away since september after aveley which is winnable we have 6 very hard games and now are 12th in the league just as many points from relegation as we are to the play offs, i dont like being a downer but i was expecting so much more this season and feel really let down, maybe things will change with a new manager but he must of had a major input up to now so how can things change that much and how will some players react to not being managers favourite some of the team have known batchy for years, i know its only january 8 but im already looking to next season.

Having read Glen's comments in the Echo today, I took it that that is exactly how he sees things too.

The playoffs are too much of an ask now this season and he is looking to rebuild the squad and bring in his own players, of which the number of new faces depends on who wants to stay and earn a place in his team.

I found it interesting to also note that the reason we changed to 4-3-3 on Saturday was because we didn't have Matt Game or Danny Spendlove available to fill the midfield. I also like his comment that we haven't been lethal enough in either penalty area and that is a key issue that he's looking to address.

I suppose that means the rest of this season is being used by Glen to implement his own changes, whilst still trying to play attractive, attacking football.

No mention of any names he wants to add to his backroom staff though.

Edited by Matt H

I have really got back to seeing Canvey on a regular basis in the last few seasons and really expected as many others to be pushing for promotion!

The playoffs do now of course unfortunatly seem out of reach although a good finish to the season is vital to mount a serious challenge next season. It's a shame having seen the away games to Bury, east thurrock and at home to concord, cray we couldnt pick up another 4 points as in all those games I think we started very well but conceded goals in all we shouldnt have, then prehaps we could still be well placed for a big finish.

I too read the report in the echo with mention to bringing in new faces I would hope we can also keep the likes of woods-garness and the bulk of the squad at the club next season, as previously mentioned we are alot better than results of late suggest.

We of course have two cup finals to play for (Lowerstoft away of course is tricky) how great it would be a final against Concord in the Senior cup so still plenty to play for. With the news Game could be back soon and if we can keep others fit who knows could still have a good finish yet!

Edited by CI Gull

A very interesting tweet from Echo Sports Reporter James Colasanti this evening:

"New @CIFC boss Glen Azalpiedi says predecessor John Batch was let down this season by players he was too loyal to. Full story in Tues Echo."

That will make interesting reading. It looks like Glen is pulling no punches and isn't afraid of being honest in his assessment of the team.

A very interesting tweet from Echo Sports Reporter James Colasanti this evening:

"New @CIFC boss Glen Azalpiedi says predecessor John Batch was let down this season by players he was too loyal to. Full story in Tues Echo."

i think the phrase " let down " is a bit over the top but " too loyal " is spot on, the players that i think glen is referring to havent let anyone down they have tried their best but are not good enough or injury has taken its toll, these players have come through with batchy since their days in the essex and herts comb league but time and ambition has caught up with them, the club needs to move forward and i dont think batchy could tell them time is up and would play them whenever he could, but now glen has been given control i think by next season we could see a very different CIFC, earlier in the season on this forum i talked about batchy going not because of his performance but because of his loyalty to players that werent delivering and not being answerable to anyone, now glen is in charge he will put his team out no loyalty just the best team for that match and he will be answerable to the board, i think its too late this season but once the clear out is done and glens team is in place i can see canvey moving forward and upwards.

i think the phrase " let down " is a bit over the top but " too loyal " is spot on, the players that i think glen is referring to havent let anyone down they have tried their best but are not good enough or injury has taken its toll, these players have come through with batchy since their days in the essex and herts comb league but time and ambition has caught up with them, the club needs to move forward and i dont think batchy could tell them time is up and would play them whenever he could, but now glen has been given control i think by next season we could see a very different CIFC, earlier in the season on this forum i talked about batchy going not because of his performance but because of his loyalty to players that werent delivering and not being answerable to anyone, now glen is in charge he will put his team out no loyalty just the best team for that match and he will be answerable to the board, i think its too late this season but once the clear out is done and glens team is in place i can see canvey moving forward and upwards.

I think you're thinking of different players to Glen. The ones I think have under-achieved this season are not the ones that came from the Essex & Herts League... Just look at some players performances this season compared to last season!

It's funny how we as fans all see things differently but ultimately agree on what needs to be changed.

For me I agree with Haynab, there is a least one of the "Batch Originals" that just does not have the skill to compete at this level. It doesn't mean he's a "bad player" but I can think of at least four players at the Club right now who should, (but all weren't under Batch) ahead of him in the pecking order.

Another of the "Batch Originals" needs to be reverted back to his natural position to get the best back out of him too.

On the other hand I also agree with Charlie. I can think of another two players who are just running too hot/cold with their performances this season and they've come to the Club within the last couple of years. With regards to these two though, again I think Glen will get them back to their best by working the team to their strengths if they feature in his plans.

The best bit about all of this though is that I saw a lot of the improvement and encouragment coming through tonight against Chelmsford.