Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

DISCIPLINE

Well I am sorry to go against the grain of most of the posts on the subject but having just heard Perkins on RK and read Fordy in the Reporter felt I had to post.

The sending off on Tuesday was harsh but correct. In my view Perkins should be fined for getting the Red for such stupid actions.

Players all know that if you kick or throw the ball away you will be booked. However having had the opportunity just to leave the ball he chose not to. Yellow card inevitable especially with that ref.

Then within 90 seconds a deliberate handball. I had a great view and it was a blatant handball and in the circumstances again unnecessary. If we were 1 - 0 up at the time then worth it but at that point it was daft.

I know about heat of the moment etc but that will always be a reason for doing silly things and then having to suffer the consequences.

If we do not start to get a bit clever then the FA will impose the suspended fine, it might be too late anyway, and no doubt there will have to be a blanket collection or something to help find the money.

I can accept playuers getting booked/sent off for mis-timed tackles or professional fouls, that is part of the game. However stupid cards like Perkins got should not be defended, accepted or tolerated.

To end this rant how the ref missed their handball in the last minute also defies belief. If the score had been closer there would have been real rage from players (and crowd)... and perhaps more cards as a result of the protests. As it was only Abbey seemed to chase the ref and that ended in smiles.

I agreed that the first booking was daft but thought that the second was very harsh. True, the ball hit his hand but his body position looked all awkward so he couldn't really do anything about it to adjust and get out of the way.

There was a 'deliberate' handball in the Burton v Chester game last night in an almost identical position on the pitch and the ref gave a free kick but didn't book the player involved.

There needs to be a bit of consistency with the refs but for how long have people been saying that?

That ref was always going to try and send some one off and Perkins gave him the opportunity He is the worst ref I have seen at this level and that takes some doing with the crap that is around but no doubt we will see him in the Premiership in a few years time. BUT that all said he was not the reason we lost that was thanks to Andy incredible team selection.

He was bad, but still not as bad as the one we had at Stevenage last year! (A Mr Harris I believe)

I think Perkins did deserve the second yellow. It looked like he misjudged a head and when he realised he was missing the ball stuck out an arm. A deliberate handball is a booking offence.

Quote:
Bate'o said:

A deliberate handball is a booking offence.

It is a damned stupid law, though. A handball should be treated like any other offence - if it's in the penalty area and prevents a goal, red card. If it's somewhere the ref deems has prevented a clear advantage, yellow card. If it's in the middle of the park with no sod anywhere near the goal, free kick, no cards.

You can nearly take someone's spleen out on the halfway line and just get spoken to, or you can touch the ball oh-so delicately with your fingers and get carded. Wake up FIFA.

Quote:
behindthegoal said:
and no doubt there will have to be a blanket collection or something to help find the money.

Ludricous if we do - hardly the same as a collection for aplayer illness or relatives of the deceased.

If the players do silly things to get yellow / red cards then why should the fans cough up even more dosh?

We lost because of Andy's incredible team selection? Absolutely garbage, we lost because of rank bad defending at corners. We could well have thrown away points against Exeter, but fortunately we were 3 nil up before sloppy defending again reared it's ugly head. Owen played in the first six games when we took just 3 points - he is not a goalscorer. Forget the midfield the defence is the problem. Oh for a 1-0 nil win.

If I was being honest, thought Aldershot just deserved the victory, however, agree with the defending comments vis a vis leaving someone unmarked on the back post to have a free header on or across the goal...has happened before this season.

Re the booking/sending off...I was behind the goal and couldn't see b*gger all in relation to it....was Behind The Goal behind the goal ?

if so, he must have very good eyesight !!

Talking about throwing/kicking the ball away...surely Mr Perrin, the Forest Green keeper ( ha ha !)deserved some action from the ref ? having run to the halfway line with the ball in his grasp to protest about Gravesend's goal....then run into the centre circle, throw the ball into the ground ( and his toys out of the playpen !! ) !!!...or did he get booked ?

Cheers,

shrug.gif

As Andy said in the Reporter, the handball appeared to be as much a result of the ball being caught by the wind as any deliberate action by Perkins. When even Aldershot supporters have posted their belief that he didnt deserve to get sent off, and apparently even their manager was taken aback at the decision, I think that says it all.