Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Friendly: Canvey Island 2 - 1 Chelmsford City

Matt H

Good run out for the players tonight against a lively Chelmo team, who I think was surprisingly stronger than expected judging by their fans reactions to the line-up.

Glad to see Wardy and Mathews get a full 90 minutes under their belts again, was pretty amusing in the second half to see Wardy heading everything Chris Duffy was kicking up to him straight back down the line.

Even though it was only a friendly, Canvey seemed to play with so much more purpose than previously. The defence looked sharp and brought that ruthlessness that Glen said it was missing. The midfield worked the ball well between them and up front Heale and Gordon were running their socks off to connect to anything they could latch on to from Rhodes or Curran.

I'll say it again, but Jamie Mathews is going to be a quality player if we can manage to keep hold of him. Levett looked good in the middle too and the two faces I didn't recognise did well for their parts. Even all the subs that got their spells in the second half looked like they wanted in on the action.

An excellent text book header from Heale to put Canvey on level terms with Chelmo after they took the lead with a powerful goal and Dumas playing in midfield grabbed the winner with a great strike from distance over the advancing 'Keeper. Woods-Garness hit the crossbar too and there was at least another effort cleared off the line, I think from Woods-Garness again.

If things continue along this path and Glen gets together a settled side then I think things are definitely looking bright for the future!

Starting XI: Russell, Ward, Mathews, Kerrigan, Sheehan, Easterford, Curran, Levett, Gordon, Heale, Rhodes.

Subs: Dumas, Hallett, Woods-Garness, West, King and two new faces, one of which may or may not have been Nathan Hilaire.

Really enjoyed the game last night especially the second half. We played some great attacking football and always looked dangerous.

The link up play between Hallett, Woods Garness and the two new faces was impressive and the work rate spot on.

When we attacked, the movement was good and we didn't look predictable like we have in games over the past couple of months.

It was also good to see us look a threat at set pieces and try something different at times instead of a hopeful ball into the penalty area.

Defensively we looked solid against a very strong Chelmsford side.

Overall a very positive display.