Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Unusual thrushes

Rob - I've just been looking out my window at a fairly large group of redwings in a tree nearby. Amongst them were a few birds that were obviously thrushes of some kind (spotted chests) but they had a great deal of black around the head/throat. Thought they were fieldfares at first but I've seen plenty of those before and they didn't look right for fieldfares. Can't find a similar bird in my various books. They left before I could get near enough for a photo. Any ideas?

Rob - I've just been looking out my window at a fairly large group of redwings in a tree nearby. Amongst them were a few birds that were obviously thrushes of some kind (spotted chests) but they had a great deal of black around the head/throat. Thought they were fieldfares at first but I've seen plenty of those before and they didn't look right for fieldfares. Can't find a similar bird in my various books. They left before I could get near enough for a photo. Any ideas?

Could be a black redstart,

they are alot smaller Alan.

Horace,there are some very funny thrushes around at the moment,we have an influx of them from europe at the moment.

There have been some funny thrushes with all sorts of different colouring,causing even the most accomplished expert problems with id.

Some female blackbirds from the continent have been shown in the past to have varient colouring etc

have a look at this link,there is a species page which lists all the possible thrushes

http://www.birdguides.com/iris/pictures.asp?v=1&f=296030

Thanks Rob. Have looked at that - the only one close to what I saw is Black Throated Thrush. I have seen mixed Redwings and Fieldfare in this tree in previous years and have seen Fieldfare at very close quarters at the footy ground lots of times - don't think these were fieldfare. Will keep an eye out tomorrow and have my camera ready!