Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Midweek Fixtures & Results (Tuesday 6th & Wednesday 7th March)

PREMIER DIVISION CUP Semi Final

4-2 St Margaretsbury v Dunstable Town

Match report from this one

WEAKENED DUNSTABLE PAY THE PRICE

IT’S SAINTS WHO TAKE ON ROYSTON IN THE FINAL

It was obvious to the travelling faithful that the managerial triumvirate had decided to rest key players despite this game being a semi-final. It could be argued that the team was only one game away from the possibility of silverware, but the league programme has taken a necessary priority.

Let me be clear here – the Saints deserved their win and were superior for most of the game – but alarmingly poor at finishing in the first half, where to all but the most partisan Blue, they ought to have been building on a healthy lead, such were the chances they created with eager approach play.

It was a curious beginning with the club in virtual darkness as we arrived and the bar opening far too close to the kick-off. I had the novel view of our supporters drinking tea or coffee, which was probably better as winter made something of a comeback.

With no Frater, Roache, Nelly, Cooper, Mead, Holmes or Leach all being rested or injured, we saw starts for Lee Burgoyne and Jermaine Hall, with the substitutes’ bench containing Kieran Croft and Jack Best.

It is often said of games that the team that won was ‘up for it’ or ‘wanted it more’, and this is true of the Bury who showed tremendous spirit after they had ‘allowed’ their visitors to take a two-nil lead to the interval where the cliché ‘against the run of play' is no exaggeration.

It could have been dispiriting for them, particularly as they had produced elaborate preparatory play, looked sharp in the running, but were curiously inaccurate on front of goal.

To add to that they conceded a penalty from Dunstable’s rare moment of attack, and this was put away handsomely by Craig Henney after a quarter of an hour. There is a good case for home supporters to feel that they had a reasonable appeal for a penalty turned down later, but despite the exhilaration in play, it seemed that a penalty would be the only way they would score.

I even doubted my own notes but Paul Taylor did not have a direct shot to save on the first period, and like us all he saw them go swaggeringly wide or high. Likewise a goodly number of corners promised much and delivered embarrassingly little.

They sorted this out on the second half very well, as they scored four goals and could have had one or two more.

It was not that Dunstable were content at being on the back foot – they just could not establish any kind of rhythm, and their later efforts on goal only had three or four efforts that looked goal bound and then fell victim to deflections for corners and one splendid goal-line clearance.

Saints supporters sitting near me had made it clear that this was a game they wanted to win, and even if they were unaware of the makeshift nature of their opponents, they cared not a jot – they went on to beat a club that has aspirations of a league title and that will add some prestige and colour to their deserved victory.

But whilst the Bury trailed they were also of the opinion that Dunstable are not the team to grant an early lead. This may be broadly true, but not tonight. The fact that Dunstable scored through Nick Jackson two minutes before half-time underlined the need for the hosts to match this accuracy. Two attacks, two shots, two goal was the consensus about the somewhat fortunate Dunstable and they were right.

In their defence I would say that it was not the visitors’ fault that their hosts could not find the target even once when given so many chances.

I would imagine that the St Mags manager Lee Judges gave his team a lecture at half-time – and he was not shy at pointing out the referee’s perceived lack of judgement, saving more invective for his assistants, of course.

In contrast, our own director of football seemed to be staring into the middle distance in what seemed a passing impression of Avram Grant.

His problem was to ensure his team could withstand the siege that had been in evidence ad was to reassert itself in a glorious comeback by the Saints.

Jackson had shown how to finish, but this all but deserted him on the second half when he ballooned the ball, shot wide – redeemed by two enthralling efforts that looked like goals but a deflection sent them for a corner. Joel Maybury had also cleared what looked like being the equaliser off the line.

So the Saints did not have it all their way in the second half – just most of the time. Had goalkeeper Matt Deamer been rightfully chastised or even dismissed for his handball patently a yard out of his area then the result may well have been a lot more palpable for the Blues.

Had Craig Henney successfully lobbed Deamer when the keeper had made a pig’s ear of a clearance the same thing applies. It was Dunstable’s turn to be wasteful.

The night firmly belongs to Leigh Rose who blossomed sufficiently to score a memorable hat-trick to ensure his man of the match status. Rose alone was not the only thorn in the side for Dunstable who fought to contain the purposeful Saints who stormed back to draw level just before the hour mark. This brought the usual remarks of ‘top of the league, yer ‘aving a laugh’. But Jackson was seen as a threat throughout and it was good to see him back in the side.

Once the sides were level it was clear to see who had the psychological advantage and indeed the incentive. It was highly unlikely that this one would have gone to extra time- and had it done so, the below par fitness level of one or two Dunstable players would have been apparent. All players need regular games to maintain their optimum levels, and they needed a game tonight.

There were plenty of moments for the visitors to show some spirit in defence, but they ever fully grasped the midfield and they gave away too many free kicks. The game did have a raw physical edge, but it never descended to the downright cynical. The frustration was evident on both sides, Bury in the first and Blues in the second half.

Weaknesses were exposed and not always capitalised on – and I mean for both teams.

St Mags looked sharp in attack yet a little blunt in defence. With the relative good fortune the blues had enjoyed in the first half could have been translated to goals , particularly from Jackson.

Rose indeed rose to the occasion and his hat-trick was greeted by the home faithful in a suitable manner. His netting of goals three and four, the latter eight minutes from time, both superbly taken, ensured there was no way back for Dunstable and they can have little complaint. Martin Stckland was the markman for the first Bury goal, greeted with a roar of relief and then encouragement. Rose's goal that drew the sides level was equally celebrated.

There was a little more unsettling if not unexpected news insofar as Royston Town, who could only scramble a draw against these rejuvenated Saints in a league game here last week, had won emphatically 5-1 against Hatfield and put some more daylight between us and them in terms of points and goal difference.

Dunstable play Hatfield at London Colney FC on Saturday and please note this venue as it has already changed twice. The Gosling Stadium has, I was told ‘been undergoing repairs’, but the word on the street was that their chairman has departed, and as a valedictory gesture taken the scaffolding that was the novel players’ walkway, as well as the dug-outs. Reflecting on this our chairman, assuming this property reclamation is factual, opined that his former counterpart now has a smokers’ lounge in both his front and back gardens. Hatfield are relocating their remaining home games for this season.

The game was initially switched to the County Ground at Letchworth and earlier today was switched to London Colney, where we last played in 2003 – in a championship winning season he muttered significantly and I hope prophetically.

These thought s occupied my mind as it was indeed a below par performance from the Blues who lost their first game away since late November.

This first defeat in ten games does not mean that the team needs more facelifts than Joan Rivers, but it does need some post-match analysis. It was clear that the fighting spirit was a trifle subdued and was in no way a match for the zestful opponents. To be two goals up was good – and this lead was not so much as lost as snatched from them with enviable spirit. I do not believe that those in blue disregarded this math as surely every player would like to get to a cup final, especially as they were just a game away from it.

No, the better team on the night won and won well and we wish them good fortune in the final, where if underdogs, I am sure that spirit will be there again.

Dunstable return to this ground for the return league fixture on Saturday 24 March. I will add the consoling reminder that we had eliminated St Mags 3-0 in the FA cup and even better won the league match at Creasey Park 7-0, which is still the best league win so far this season.

Of course, we expect the Blues to be beefed up for that one, but we cannot get away from the fact that we were second best tonight and for the second time this season conceded four goals without reply in a second half. So no repeat of that, if you please gentlemen!

The focus hastily returns to the league priority and this game is a timely reminder of what spirit and self-belief can do. We look forward to better things at London Colney. When I am a little down, and I confess that feeling tonight, I often turn to poetry so here is a little bit of Longfellow to finish with –

‘Let us then be up and doing,

With a heart for any fate;

Still achieving, still pursuing,

Learn to labour and to wait.’

ST MARGARETSBURY

Matt Deamer, Ollie Sharman, Ed Taylor, Adem Salih, Joel Maybury, Ricky Light, Martin Stickland, goal, 59 minutes, cautioned, Davey Emdee, LEIGH ROSE, HAT-TRICK, 59, 75 and 89 minutes, MAN OF THE MATCH, Anthony Anstead, captain, Brett O’Connor.

Subsitiutes- Steve Tutalamo, Chris Bell, Taj Ferguson, Jake Coull and Ross Angelini.

DUNSTABLE TOWN

Paul Taylor, Mark Boyce, Lee Burgoyne, Shane Wood, Joseph Bruce, captain, Damen Pickering, Dean Brennan, Jermaine Hall, cautioned, Craig Henney, penalty goal, 15 minutes, Nick Jackson, goal, 43 minutes.

Substitutes- George Brinkman, Kieran Croft and Jack Best.

Officials- Referee, I. corner assisted by A. Butler and A. Loe

PREMIER DIVISION

5-1 Royston Town v Hatfield Town

A Groundhoppers views

124. Tuesday 6 March 2012 – Spartan South Midlands Premier

Royston Town (white/black/white) 5 – 1 Hatfield Town (blue/blue/blue) Attendance: tba

The Crows are always on my watching list, but it’s unusual for my first sighting of Royston Town was to be so late in the season. Royston Town are top of the league on goal difference, but the trap door is half open for Hatfield Town. Royston Town opened up, but the Hatfield Town missed two easy chances in the first five minutes and two more just before half time. Sandwiched in between was Royston Town’s opening goal, which early in the second half was turned into two. Hatfield Town headed in for 2-1 then, Royston Town went on the rampage with three goals in quick succession. They even had the audacity to place a spot kick wide of the post, as the game finished with traffic going only one way and Hatfield Town’s back four in complete disarray. Star Man: Lewis Endacott (Royston Town)

Tabby rang to say he was on the prowl, his expected destination was Hornchurch. Only time will tell if this was a good decision or better advised to have stayed in to watch his favourite celebrity TV programme 'through the cat flap'.

Edited by Karen Browne

PREMIER DIVISION

3-2 Colney Heath v Oxhey Jets

A Groundhoppers views

effing Spartan South effing Midlands effing League

effing Colney Heath 3-2 effing Oxhey effing Jets

(Get the idea?)

Admission with Programme: £6

Att:39

Tea: 50p

Cheeseburger £2.50

An absolute travesty. In about 2 months time all I'll remember is the non-stop swearing throughout from both teams towards the opponents, officials and in the case of the visiting keeper a fan stood behind the goal.

A real shame as it was attack and counter-attack by both sides. Home side could have been 2-0 up inside opening 90 seconds before Oxhey broke quickly and showed them how to do it!

Oxhey had 2 goals ruled out for offside and Colney hit the post and the visiting keeper made 2 outstanding saves in the first half.

2nd half continued in the same vain and all 4 goals were scored in a crazy 10 minute spell just over the midway point in the half with scoring foing 1-1, 1-2, 2-2, 3-2.

Chances at both ends continued and we really could have had something like a 6-6 draw, but what a shame that neither side's bench or the match officials seemed fit to take action.

Ground is tidy if basic. 40 seater wooden stand in front of the clubhouse, hard standing and railed off pitch.

Beerwise went next door to The Crooked Billet and had a top pint of Tring Brewery's Side Pocket of a Frog.

Bit unfair on St Mags. 11 players in DTFC squad tonight were in squad for Saturday's win against Harefield.

That comment came from the Dunstable Town twitter

Yes Karen I know. A cup semi final should be there for the winning surely. They still took a strong squad, no reserve players in there.

Some of them comments are a bit wrong!

I was there tonight and there fans (all 6) were giving it loads in the first half! not much to say after that thou!

Sums them up completely.

Full time: St Margaretsbury 4-2 Dunstable Town. The fringe players get a run out in a meaningless competition, job done!!

Some of the tweets from Dunstable Town twitter above (posted by Karen) stick of its great when we are 2-0 up singing, dancing and we lose 4-2 and its "meaningless"! Now this may not be the view from the club but both the tweets and report are so "im pissed we have been beaten" The whole point of a game of football is to win, if you dont beat your opposition you are not better than them on that day/night so live with it

I agree. Poor from whoever administrates their twitter account. And I'm no St Mags fan.

Oh and by the way.....

To all those who have, over the last 18 months, privately and publicly, posted messages criticising my clubs league position....(you know who you are).....

F@&! YOU!!

2nd in the league. And although we probably still won't go up, I'm damn proud of how far we have come.

Keep mouthing off boys cos it only makes us stronger.

ANDY CRAWFORDS BLACK AND WHITE ARMY!

Oh and by the way.....

To all those who have, over the last 18 months, privately and publicly, posted messages criticising my clubs league position....(you know who you are).....

F@&! YOU!!

2nd in the league. And although we probably still won't go up, I'm damn proud of how far we have come.

Hope you come up.......less travel!

Full time: St Margaretsbury 4-2 Dunstable Town. The fringe players get a run out in a meaningless competition, job done!!

Some of the tweets from Dunstable Town twitter above (posted by Karen) stick of its great when we are 2-0 up singing, dancing and we lose 4-2 and its "meaningless"! Now this may not be the view from the club but both the tweets and report are so "im pissed we have been beaten" The whole point of a game of football is to win, if you dont beat your opposition you are not better than them on that day/night so live with it

Its a shame as Pipeman who does the report is a decent bloke, they are just all blinkered. Different if the players who did not play were injured but they chose not to play them. If a meaningless cup, why did they turn up to watch.

Any games on/off tonight? Heavy rain all day today in my neck of the woods....

Oh and by the way.....

F@&! YOU!!

lets just hope we can win our 5 games in hand

Any games on/off tonight? Heavy rain all day today in my neck of the woods....

I am being told that Kentish Town vs Bedford is off.

Kentish Town is off according to Mitoo

lets just hope we can win our 5 games in hand

Me too.....what would Roger do with himself if he didnt have those letters to write applying for promotion?

They'd just change for Ryman promotion :D

Wednesday 7th March

(kick off times 7.45pm unless stated)

PREMIER DIVISION

AFC Dunstable v Berkhamsted

Aylesbury United v Broxbourne Borough V&E

DIVISION ONE

Kentish Town P-P Bedford

Wodson Park P-P Sun Postal Sports

RESERVE DIVISION ONE

St Margaretsbury Reserves P-P Hatfield Town Reserves

RESERVE DIVISION TWO

Ampthill Town Reserves v Stony Stratford Reserves

Welwyn Garden City Reserves v Harpenden Town Reserves

Oh and by the way.....

F@&! YOU!!

have we got to play you again !!!!

Plenty of mouthing off at Crawley road didnt help your lot either, lets be honest in the 3 times we have beaten you this season some of your team ( Some) and deffo your manager could'nt take it.

you not managed to get top spot at any point this year Jono ??

Oh and by the way.....

F@&! YOU!!

ANDY CRAWFORDS BLACK AND WHITE

ARMY!

have we got to play you again !!!!

Plenty of mouthing off at Crawley road didnt help your lot either, lets be honest in the 3 times we have beaten you this season some of your team

( Some) and deffo your manager could'nt take it.

you not managed to get top spot at any point this year Jono ??

Lolll u tell him boodie :-)

Edited by Mr Angry