Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ex-player watch (large economy size version)

I'm delighted with the squad Burgo and the team have assembled this season, but I thought this might (or might not) interest you…

Last night, Godalming Town lost 5-3 on penalties after a 4-4 draw away at Bognor Regis Town in the Ryman Div1South play-off semi-final. There were five ex-Ashford players in the starting line-up (Hollis, Lake, Foulser [captain], S. Harris, W.Harris) plus two more as subs (Cooper, Palmer).

Godalming’s joint manager Neil Baker posted a generous message to Bognor on their forum, and in praising his own team said “We have to go away and look to come back next year in determined fashion, that side out there, we have put together in less than a year on a minimum playing budget”.

Interesting comment about the finances, seeing as one of that team was paid by Ashford in an act of kindness when injured at work two seasons ago and was guaranteed a place in the team when fully fit, then jumped ship during the close season to Godalming for more money. His younger brother, who showed similar class in defecting to local rivals, got sent off last night for a deliberate handball on the line in extra time, but the resulting penalty was scored. Damaged goods, both of them.

Personally I prefer to current 'goods' - fresh, honest and hard-working and more loyal than some past players (possibly not everyone on your list, but some). I am sure you do, too, Eddie.

I had noticed the absence of Warren's name in Staines match reports and quite often the excellent Billy Jeffreys' name in the H&R reports until last week, when I think he scored. This season has shown that we have all moved on for the better - let's hope Burgo and his management team continue to find and grow the talent that has given us a very decent season, and lots of hope for the future.

Let's also hope that Bones stays at AFCW despite Terry Brown's understandable statement about some of their players possibly having played their last game with a football league club, after a dismal defeat last week.

Anyone noticed that St Neots were'nt the only Saints to celebrate promotion at the weekend?

"Southern League and we're having a laugh, Premier League and we're (also) having a laugh".

Edited by Keith B

Its Official.... Swifty has a little font!

While we are on the subject of budgets there was talk of a "boost the budget" in the bar the other night and whether we would have enough fans/committee to get one up an running a la Woking. If we could it may be the difference to really pushing for promotion or just flirting with the play offs

Possibly a fiver a week? or more if you wanted too.

Who would be interested?

At the minute I can't really guarantee being able to join this scheme, which is partly why I try and make up for it by sponsoring a player and the odd match ball.

Not too many supporters will have seen the request on this forum - maybe best to have an informal natter with fans at the finals and also mention it at the AGM?

Hi Swifty just saw this, so hope you don't mind me coming on to defend myself and Godalming.

I am not sure on the ins and outs on what happened with Scott Harris with regards to injuries etc, but i do know that we offered slightly more than Ashford could in the summer (this being Burgo had to deal with a small budget, and by the way has done a fantastic job) but it was by no means substantially more than Ashford, as we are a community club like yourself who self finances everything, and not the factor in him joining (it was more about the fact that he had a number of his mates who had agreed to sign i.e Lakey, Foulser, Guy, Gav Smith, Coops, and Palms)

Our budget from what i am led to believe is more than Ashford (hence being able to offer slightly more) but is relatively small in comparison to a lot of the sides that we are coming up against in the Ryman League i.e Maidstone, Folkestone, Worthing, Walton and Hersham, Bognor, Dulwich and Whitehawk who are the big spenders.

I can honestly say that nobody joined us "just for money" more on our ideas that we would put a succesful side with a great atmosphere (and that is something we have managed to do).

We angled on getting various groups of players together who are mates, and hoped that when we put the 2/3 groups together they would gell and get on, something they have done.

Anyway i just thought i would defend my comments, i was not saying that we dont have any money etc, just that in comparison to some of the sides i have mentioned above we are not big payers.

As you say later on in the post there is no point looking back, you have had a really good season, and i am sure you will end with some silverware on Wednesday in the Aldershot Senior Cup, and as i said Paul Burgess has done a great job!!!

I wish you all well, and we will be coming to you pre season, so looking forward to that.

Regards Neil Baker

Hi Neil.

No need to defend yourself as such, no bitterness from me about the majority of the former Ashford lads who've joined you. From what I know, many joined Godalming in a roundabout fashion because they knew you and or / Palms, who's so unassuming he probably doesn't realise his cult status in scoring the winner in our Surrey Senior Cup final victory. Most of those lads left due to managerial shake-ups / upheavals and joined you having already left us beforehand for another team, a lot of fans here were sad to see them go, and I'd be quite happy to see most of those lads back at Ashford in the future if they wanted to come back,

Sadly, Scott's departure left a taste in the mouth. I understand Ashford 'subbed' him to help pay his bills after he had no insurance following a work injury and told him he was definitely part of our plans once fit again, so Scott's departure in close season (for more money, I heard at the time) was unexpected and a bit of a kick in the teeth but, if he didn't want to stay, it was best for both parties. It doesn't help that Warren also left under a bit of a cloud. My own views, not of the club, I hasten to add. If I've said anything untoward which either you or Ashford take offence to, may I apologise.

As for Bognor, the other team I support, I can assure you they're not really big hitters pay-wise in that division. If they were, they wouldn't keep losing players to Havant & Waterlooville, Eastleigh, Lewes, Worthing and (this year's unwanted champions) moneybags Whitehawk. The club was on its knees after the clubhouse was arsoned but, unlike some clubs in and around Ryman Div1South, Bognor haven't thrown around silly money to try and get success. It's all done 'organically' for want of a better phrase. A bit like Ashford and, probably like yourselves, the players put ambience and team spirit before notes in their pocket and, because they have principles and because they still give it their best shot, the fans appreciate their efforts.

By the way, I hope you've seen the comments on Bognor's forum about the way your lads played and conducted themselves on Tuesday. It seems the match was a classic and will be talked about on the south coast for many years to come.

Edited by Swifty

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to see during the week that AFC Wimbledon had released Ricky Wellard as part of a mammoth clear out by Terry Brown. Let's hope that Rick is able to secure another club at league level, if not Conference.

If you are reading this Rick, please don't end up in future years playing for that lot down the road, and don't sell yourself short in the meantime.

Anyone care to list the remaining ex-ATFC players still registered with league clubs?

Jermain Maglashan

Byron Harrison

Danni Bulman

Femi Aseniami if you can count a loan player and spell his name right!

I heard Brett Jonson was also released

Bones is far too good for BSS level. I think Cambridge will be interested because he was a real hit up there.

Edited by fatboyatmfc

From the "Non-League Daily" web site

Midfielder Ricky Wellard has agreed to join Blue Square Bet Premier club Cambridge United from AFC Wimbledon on a two-year deal.

A relative veteran despite being only 24 years old, Wellard comes with a fine pedigree having made over 75 first team appearances for AFC Wimbledon, including 22 appearances in the Football League last season.

Wellard had a previous spell with The U's in February 2011, when he joined the club on loan and made nine appearances to help steer the team clear of the relegation zone.

Wellard proved a popular player during his loan spell as he added composure in midfield, helping United secure a number of crucial points before returning to his parent team and helping them to achieve promotion to the Football League via the play-offs.

Many Dons fans were surprised to see the hard-working midfielder released at the end of the 2011/12 season, and U's boss Jez George was pleased to add Wellard to his squad: "Ricky fits perfectly with the type and quality of player that we are trying to attract to the club. He has composure on the ball, energy, presence and the fact that he is left-footed will give us balance and different options in midfield. Ricky is a fantastic character who was a big influence during his loan spell and is someone we are delighted to have convinced that his ambitions can be matched by ours.

Everyone has played a part in this signing, including the fans because Ricky has fond memories of the time he spent with us last season and the ovation he received on his return with AFC Wimbledon showed him what the supporters thought of him. We look forward to seeing Ricky back in a Cambridge United shirt and are thrilled that he has committed himself to the Club so quickly after our initial contact."

So much for our sell-on clause sadly but good luck to Bones.

Great that Ricky has re-joined a club that showed they valued him and wanted him back. Sad that it is one step below where he was, but in my opinion that is AFCW's loss.

A 2 year deal as well. I am sure the commute won't be a problem and Cambridge United re-join my "first results to look out for" list that grows ever longer by the year.

Well done Ricky. Now go for that promotion push and show Terry Brown he made a (rare) error of judgement.

On another note - looking forward to seeing Jermaine in the play off final for Cheltenham against Crewe. He got a mention on Soccer AM yesterday and deserves all the success he gets.

Edited by Keith B

Anyone remember Chamal?

He's on the move again - wil he still be there by the time the season starts?

Ryman League Division One South club Horsham's manager Simon Colbran hasn't been idle this summer, adding his third new arrival of the summer in the form of striker Chamal Fenelon.

'Cham' impressed during two brief spells in Horsham colours back in 2007/8, scoring six times in 11 games before moving on to a number of clubs including Havant & Waterlooville, from where he rejoins the Hornets this week.

His return sees him reunited with Colbran, under whom he played at Worthing, and the manager revealed that the powerful forward is keen to win the fans over: "I know all about Cham and what he can do so I'm really happy that he's joined us. When he was at Worthing he had trials with Dagenham & Redbridge and Port Vale so that tells a story in itself.

"He's been at a lot of clubs and is a bit worried about the fans' feelings towards him coming back but I'm told there were no acrimonious circumstances from the last time he was here so I'm sure that won't be a problem. He's really keen to play for Horsham, and I've got no problems with him, so I'm sure the fans will get right behind him."

A striker who scored fewer for us than Michael Mahoney-Johnson...and that's saying something!

When Godalming Town visit us, make sure they go to the correct changing room - most of the team could get disorientated when they're back at Ashford!

I did not watch yesterday's Play Off Final, but was quietly hoping that Jermaine McGlashan would be on the winning side - sadly not to be.

Two questions - is Jermaine the only ex Tangerine to play at Wembley Stadium?

and:

is any other ex Tangerine likely to have played before a larger attendance (24,000+)?

Keith,

I think he's certainly the first at Wembley. Jamie Lawrence won the League Cup with Leicester but only played in the replay at Hillsborough not in the first game at Wembley.

I'm pretty sure however that both Jamie and Isiah Rankin will havee played in front larger crowds.

SBF

24,000 is quite a large attendance in (even) Championship circles these days, so I am not so certain that JL or Isiah would have played before larger attendances, but I am not too confident on this point. With JL, Bradford always have had a solid support and quite rightly so, but I have no idea whether this equates to 24,000 plus.

In any event, it is great to keep tabs on ex-ATFC players. I am particularly keen to track Brett Johnson who I remember with great affection during his time with us - not to mention Mark Butler who I have a fantastic regard for, and was much maligned by some of our fans after his departure.

Brett can still do a great job for someone on the pitch, ditto Mark Butler in management.

Good luck gents. Never forgotten for what you gave Ashford Town (Middlesex) FC.

Edited by Keith B

I think everyone at the RPS considers Mark as one of the family. this was evident at the Aldershot cup final where he was the clubs guest and enjoyed the occassion by all accounts. When people leave clubs mid season it will always ruffle feathers especially when its to go to a mob like Margate who at the time were no bigger than us but seemed to lure MB away with promises they couldnt keep.

Anyway, i wonder if Chamal will offer out the ref and linesman in a pre season friendly for Horsham as he did when with us? lol