Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Players signed for next season

I think I may have missed something...

I remember reading a few weeks back that 15 players had re-signed for next season (Weighty was one of the lads who'd re-signed at the time), now I notice we've got 18 signed up including 'No Limits' Kofi. Who are the other two who've signed, please?

There are a couple of notable absentees that I think of at the current time, but they may well be the 'unknown two', so no names given by me so as to protect the innocent.

Gents -

why the private emails and not a more 'public' statement?

Lots of us would like to know, but we also respect the need for confidentiality if there is one.

Best wishes

Keith

Sorry, Keith. It's just that I was speculating about two notable absentees, one of whom has signed and the other hasn't as yet and may not, and I didn't want to go public and cause any aggro.

It's very reassuring to report that all 18 signatories so far are all from last season's squad.

Phil, is it okay to show the list of 18? 15 have been mentioned in three separate website front page pieces so far, after all. Cheers.

Ok, ok.....we have signed Kanu, LuaLua and Steve Claridge. :D

No secrets as far as i can see all present and correct from last season

Steve Claridge - an anagram of 'arse' Well , part of it is and that's good enough for me!

Can we list the full 18 for Keith now, pleeeeease? I'll mention the 'absentee' if needs be but I don't want to.

Danny DeVito's helping out with the Olympics? Well, if Will.I.Am can run with the torch near Taunton, I guess anything's possible!

At the risk of needing a flak jacket...Keith, here's the list of re-signings so far, son.

Macca, Russ, Samad, Ed, Josh, Jim, Dan, Perry, Alex, Kofi, Bitz, Harry, Tyler, Jock...er, Jack (he's actually from Hillingdon, not Scotland), Ash, Weighty (obviously the captain while my sponsored player's suspended!), Rob and Bairoh.

Testament to our club (and to the faith shown by, and team spirit within, the squad) that so many players have nailed their colours to the mast again for next season. Thanks, lads.

PS - Can't wait to have a natter with Bobby Barnes, the Marvin Gaye of non-League football (wherever I lay my hat, that's my home) and a really engaging fella. Good to have him back.

PPS - Be careful if trying to sign ex-Bedfont Town player Wayne O'Sullivan. Ed's mum Gill got very excited when she recognised him playing for Northwood in the 'Kofi' Cup final - it took me back to the heyday of the Bay City Rollers (squad members - ask an old boy at the club and they'll explain!).

Thanks Chaps - I was curious and hope that I have not inappropriately asked for the names of 'signed on' lads.

Whilst re-reading the various posts I was reminded of the days when I used to pop into the newsagents for my dad and ask for "20 Players" (that was after he stopped smoking filterless Capstan cigarettes).

If anyone walked into a newsagent in Portsmouth or the west end of Glasgow these days, I guess asking for '20 Players' would be deemed as taking the mickey.

Apparently in those areas, they only deal in 6's. Both GRFC and PFC are known to be looking for 6-a side leagues for next year.

• 1 month later...

I've done a piece of work today where I have downloaded the list of registered players from the Southern League website and every player currently signed on (with the exception of Josh Andrew, who has gone to Egham) has a brief pen picture on the main site:

http://www.ashfordtownmiddlesexfc.com/index.php/first-team/pen-pictures

Photos to follow after tomorrow night's shoot.

Thanks, Beano. Only just noticed from a recent article that Josh and Shane have gone, so apologies for my oversight.

Shame Josh has gone, but I never really saw him as an out-and-out defender. He always looked a bit shaky at the back, but I think he'd make a great attacking midfielder or maybe sweeper. I guess Josh did himself no favours by Tweeting his anger at not making the squad for one particular match late last season?

Not fussed about Shane - nothing nasty meant, but he was a fringe player at best, and the only thing Shane did of any note last season was score when i was still announcing him coming on as sub!.

I always thought Josh was better suited to playing further up the pitch too... He is registered with the Southern League as an Ashford player, so a return is not impossible. This is permitted under FA rules, as Josh can sign as a non-contract player for both Ashford and Egham as the clubs are in different leagues, as could any player not under contract.

Anyway, I digress; four more players have signed forms this evening and all are newbies! There are details here:

http://www.ashfordtownmiddlesexfc.com/index.php/news/club-news/487-four-new-signings

The photoshoot was postponed as the new kit didn't arrive in time but we are assured it will be with us in time for Saturday.

Thanks, Beano. What position does Shane Gibson play at? It doesn't say in the article (admittedly, if I'd been to the friendlies I'd have known by now!).

Hmm, Josh as attacking midfielder and Samad up front? I'd have liked to have seen that!

I think shane plays right side on the wing. But he is a big unit and could possibly play through the middle. He scored a lovely "goal" at Tooting which was dissallowed for nothing! The ref and linesman were very poor and the Tooting management apologised for their display!

Bennett is a forward who seems to link the play well and the right back Chris seems more than competant. I think the other chap Darryl was the left back? not sure

good bit of competition for places!

Thanks, Dan. The reason Shane's position isn't mentioned in the article is because I didn't know what it was! I prepared pen-pictures for the other three as well, but Google and the AFC Hayes website threw up no information about him.

The only info I can find on Shane is that he played at number 9 in a reserve game for AFC Hayes agianst Berkhamsted a year next Monday. After that, AFC Hayes appear to have given up putting match info other than scores on their website.

Archived