Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FA Challenge Cup (with Budweiser) 2012/21013

0-2 Tring Athletic v Ashford Town (Middx)

Very disappointing after Tring had done the hard part on Saturday

A good competent display yesterday evening and good to see a fair number of supporters present. Tring were welcoming hosts and the turn out from Spartan S Midlands League officials was certainly impressive.

We were generally in control but the match could have turned if Tring had been able to score from the spot which would have brought them level at the time. Paul in goal has taken some criticism lately but such a super triple stop should have its due plaudits. Our two goals were well taken and whilst we seemed content to sit back more in the second half, as we played up the slope, Tring rarely looked like penetrating us after the penalty incident.

On "refwatch" we had a complete new set of officials from Saturday, including a friendly jovial assistant on our flank. The only incident of note was, of course, the penalty award, about which there was little argument and which provided our only caution of the evening for Mark Bitmead. There was a degree of trepidation as to whether the card would be yellow or red, but the attacker was not exactly bearing straight down on goal and the yellow was right in my view.

Other than that the ref looked fit as a fiddle and was always up with play, clear in his decisions, albeit occasionally just a little fussy maybe, and with both teams well disciplined, he will hopefully have enjoyed his match. No complaints from us.

There’s quite a bit on Ashford Town’s Forum on the proceedings from Cow Lane last night

Rhodes, if you'd listened to the interview on the Ashford Town (Middlesex) website, you'd know that home form has been a problem for the club all last season and in the two games played so far this season. So maybe Ashford "did the hard part" on Saturday?

Tring Athletic are a good side and I'm sure will do well this season.

Uxbridge v Berkhamsted

What an anti-climax for Berkhamsted to be going to Uxbridge and not Wembley

Why? They get to play a game of football instead of having to take part in some kind of sick circus show.

Spot on there, it was a farce from the start, an embarassment to english football and it shouldnt have been allowed. We now get to travel to a step 4 side which im sure most supporters would prefer anyway, i know i do, and play against what looks a decent Uxbridge side. On a side note i read one users post on the tk forum suggesting that the tv coverage should continue with Uxbridge seeing as they knocked Wembley out which i kind of liked the thought of but i would say that being a Berko fan.

But look at the crowd at Uxbridge for the first tie, an incrdible 754, when was the last time Uxbridge got a crowd like that and were on television, I'll be interested to see what the crowd is on Saturday!

But look at the crowd at Uxbridge for the first tie, an incrdible 754, when was the last time Uxbridge got a crowd like that and were on television, I'll be interested to see what the crowd is on Saturday!

And? How many of those will go back and watch Uxbridge or Wembley again?

A month ago the police caught 80 people filming a serious accident on their camera phones as they drove past. An incredible 80. Does that make serious accidents a good thing?

And? How many of those will go back and watch Uxbridge or Wembley again?

Yes but haven’t you heard of the saying ‘make hay whilst the sun shines’, I can’t hear anybody from Langford complaining as they must have had a nice little earner from their Extra Preliminary Round tie at Vale Farm and they almost took Wembley back to Forde Park

What Arthur Daley you mean, well Minder was a great show wasn't it

Edited by Rhodes

Yes but haven’t you heard of the saying ‘make hay whilst the sun shines’, I can’t hear anybody from Langford complaining as they must have had a nice little earner from their Extra Preliminary Round tie at Vale Farm and they almost took Wembley back to Forde Park

You haven't seen anyone from Langford at all either complaining or cheering on this forum, so dont assume (as if) that lack of input into this forum supports your argument. you have seen someone from Berkhamsted saying they are pleased to be playing Uxbridge rather than wembley, but why would you ever read what is posted on here.

Munchkin – Surely everyone at Forde Park was jumping for joy when Langford’s name came out of the velvet bag as travelling to Vale Farm in the Extra Preliminary Round, they knew it would be a license to print money and they would get the once in a life time opportunity to meet El Tel, Ray Parlour, David Seamen and Martin Keown

Munchkin – Surely everyone at Forde Park was jumping for joy when Langford’s name came out of the velvet bag as travelling to Vale Farm in the Extra Preliminary Round, they knew it would be a license to print money and they would get the once in a life time opportunity to meet El Tel, Ray Parlour, David Seamen and Martin Keown

Have to admit but Rhodes is probably spot on, a once in a lifetime opportunity to share the same playing field of such past greats would have been the tie most probably hoped for, albeit a football team or a circus, plus the added incentive of being live on TV.

No13 - Yes, exactly, imagine if Ampthill Town had drawn Wembley, we would never have heard the end of it from Ref Off Ref and Craig Bicknell

No13 - Yes, exactly, imagine if Ampthill Town had drawn Wembley, we would never have heard the end of it from Ref Off Ref and Craig Bicknell

I think anyone who comes on here would have made the most of the experience had they drawn Wembley, like I said, albeit a circus or football team you played it would have been one to savour

Edited by No13

I think anyone who comes on here would have made the most of the experience had they drawn Wembley, like I said, albeit a circus or football team you played it would have been one to savour

In terms of playing against ex pros well past their best it would have been interesting, but unless ESPN show any other games, then it shows it for what it was, a publicity stunt and a piss take on the wembley players who played the league games but then unceremoniously dropped for the FA cup games.

My main point was that no one from Langford has said anything, however someone from Berkhamsted has and that was ignored.

In terms of playing against ex pros well past their best it would have been interesting, but unless ESPN show any other games, then it shows it for what it was, a publicity stunt and a piss take on the wembley players who played the league games but then unceremoniously dropped for the FA cup games.

My main point was that no one from Langford has said anything, however someone from Berkhamsted has and that was ignored.

Must agree if I were a Wembley player dropped in an FA Cup game to make way for someone way past their best and hoping to get one more shot at TV fame then I'd be telling the manager where he could stick it