Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Casuals 1 Azzurri 5

Swifty

Excellent win against opponents whose high tempo attackers troubled us, especially in the first half, but who still have a number of players who tackle and act like a pub team.

We started the game playing some lovely stuff although we had a few scares in the first half (Macca made three great saves in the game overall) and, had you said at half time there would have been four goals thus far, then 2-2 would have been nearer the mark than 3-1 to us. It was a head-scratching first 45, so many twists and turns, but the sending off of their number 8 for an act of idiocy more or less finished the game as a contest and we could (maybe should) have scored more.

Ridiculous lunge on Jack for the 3rd minute penalty scored by Bitz (have a guess how he scored it!). Casuals caused us headaches down the flanks and peppered our defence and goal, and we played too deep on occasions, but a wonderful second goal steadied us. An excellent pass by Ashley set Ed free down the left, and he ran like a bull then delivered a wicked cross shot tucked home by Dan in the 19th. Ten minutes later a Bitz free kick from 35 yards out seemed to elude everyone until 'Jock' from Hillingdon gave the ball a deceptive touch past the keeper.

It looked all over, especially after Casuals' number 8 had a rush of blood to his nethers (as Beano put it) and elbowed Bairoh in the face seconds after play had stipped for a Casuals free kick, resulting in the 41st minute red card which upset the balance of the side, apart from the frustrating fact that we then gave them a soft penalty, hit home with aplomb by their number 10 two minutes later.

We looked the more casual team (ho ho) early in the second half, playing at a slower tempo in the hot conditions, and Casuals set about reverting to type somewhat. In the 59th, their number 11 did a blatant two handed push from behind in the box then, along with maybe half his team, complained "Why?" when we were awarded a penalty. Unfortunately, Bitz's effort was not up to his usual standard and easily saved.

A couple more daft challenges ensued, and their cock of a captain Craig Lewington (still? how? is there really no-one better at the club to have the role?) should have been booked for constantly arguing and questioning the Ukrainian ref, who was otherwise brilliant - charismatic, no-nonsense apporach, ready to berate players for acts of stupidity and argue back, and willing to let the game flow. I wish we could have him every week.

Luckily, our play became more stylish, I assume due to the new and very smart looking azure away shirts, and a tuck home by Bairoh following on from a 68th minute Ash free kick and a deserved goal for man of the match Ed Thomas in the penultimate minute were the least the lads' play deserved. Ed marauded down the flanks time and again in the match while still putting in a good shift at the back, and we charged forward 'on the break' (really, just stifling an attack and bearing down on Casuals' goal) for much of the last half hour.

Well done, lads. Another postponed league match, I guess, but a fine win and some more FA money in the bank! As for me, I'll have to brush up on my heading skills - I was trying to head that ball back over the barrier when it came out!

Another postponed league match

Looks like 29th Sept and we didn't have a match scheduled that day

BTW well done lads :alc:

A good win even though Casuals had more of the ball than the final scoreline suggests. In fact I thought they rallied well after going down to ten men by which time we were three up but our fourth goal ended all doubt and for the final quarter of the match we were able to stroke it around knowing the match was won.

The player who received his marching orders couldn't really complain as a sending off is usually inevitable if you put your hands up, irrespective of any provocation. Apart from the sending off though, there were very few moments I can recall where anyone from either team lost their discipline to any great extent. I can't recall any cautions, certainly none for us.

As to "Refwatch", we have had Ukranian Mr. Salih on eleven occasions in the past and he is an assistant on the Football League and a decent official. There were a few incidents in the game though. Our first penalty looked unarguable and nobody really seemed to dispute it. Walton's penalty was less clear cut as it looked from the far side where I was as if both players played the ball at the same time but from the referee's angle it probably looked as if Jack had tackled from behind and maybe he was a fractiion late with his challenge. Our second penalty was soft and I suspect would not have been given by many referees. In the end it didn't matter as we missed it.

Some Walton players claimed that the fourth goal was offside but our scorer was behind the ball when the pass was made so I believe the officials got that right.

Yet again our players showed what a tight knit group they are and even when not playing quite as well as we can, we always look as if we have goals in us. I made Bairoh just about our "mom" but there were a number of candidates, not least Ed Thomas who seems to relish his current role. An unchanged team for the sixth match in a row, with some decent players unable to make the starting line up at the moment speaks for itself.

Burnham next up on Tuesday.

Excellent result.

Sadly i couldnt be there as i was in Plymouth, but i am guessing it was the high intensity ping pong training that made the difference....... :lol:

Well done everyone!

An excellent result, and good pictures on this thread.

However, I think I preferred the previous second strip! Sorry, it ain't a big deal.

Some fantastic pictures by Steve, who is a real asset to our club! Thanks Macca Snr!

Also i really love the kit!............ i want a top, Mr C ............ XXXL of course :D

Didn't realise until yesterday that our esteemed Mr. Hill played in goal for Walton Casuals for three seasons or so in the mid 90's (one senior appearance away at DCA Basingstoke and many reserve outings).

Keith, the away kit will grow on you. It looks even better 'in the flesh' than in Steve's fine photos. By the way, whoever designed and rubber-stamped Southampton's kit this season should be shot. All red??? A slur on decades-old tradition.

Eddie - sort of agree regarding the ATFC and SFC kits.

The Jury is still out!

As, I understand is Frank Ross. (Under 35's need not apply).

Dan - I think you left off another X :lol:

Ok firstly my apologies...i was aware the shirts looked a little washed out in the pics and needed a slight adjustment, i chose to not spend the time to make any adjustments as i wanted to get the pics uploaded last night so that they would be available to Gareth for the report. ive attached a picture that may better represent the the shirt for keith to view, the shirts do look far nicer than the pics show.

Gareth, ive noticed the slide show crops the bottom off the pics, the world at large must think Ashford footballers have no feet. ive been trying to capture individual shots as well as match action and have taken these in portrait layout, clearly these will get heavily cropped, its the landscape shots that are losing the lower part of the image.

Do I need to send the images in a different size to prevent this?, are all the slideshows you put up the same size?..if so i can adjust to this size if you let me know the dimensions.

steve

post-3385-0-79140000-1347823358_thumb.jpg

It's almost certainly an error on my part. I've adjusted this particular slideshow - let me know if that solves the problem (the images look OK to me but that doesn't mean anything). If it works, I'll apply the same settings moving forward.

i delivered all the team prints and sponsors photos to the clubhouse last thurs eve.

theres a 9x6 team photo to accompany each of the sponsors photos

also 2 15x10 prints of the team for clubhouse/boardroom/toilet

i also took a memory stick with all the files on.......i hope phil got the files he needs.

do you still want a freightright file emailed?

steve

Steve, please don't think I was berating your camera or photographic skills. I was just trying to say to Keith that he was seeing the kits in 2D instead of 3D and his perception might have changed slightly had he seen the kits with his own fair eyes..

brilliant......thats fixed both the landscape and portrait style pictures.....excellent.

Good stuff! I'm still learning about this particular component and I'm delighted that we're moving forward... Top pictures, as always and the rapid turnaround is very much appreciated.

Steve,

Thats great, i am guessing Phil is dealing with it. many thanks

If its not too much trouble the freightright file would be handy. But no rush mate, finish the birthday cake ! :P

Archived