Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

WESTON-SUPER-MARE 1 HORNCHUURCH 0 - report and line ups

Dagger03

Saturday 08-December-2012

WESTON-SUPER-MARE 1 HORNCHURCH 1

WSM – Lloyd Irish – Jamie Price – Pete Monks – Ashley Kington (Naby Diallo 81) – Matt Villis – Jamie Laird – Ross Stearn (Kane Ingram 44) – Ben Kirk © - Chas Hemmings – Brett Trowbridge – Dayle Grubb

Subs – Martin Slocombe – Kayne McClaggon – Josh Egan

HFC – Joe Woolley – Alex Bentley – Duran Reynolds (Michael Spencer 62) – Andy Tomlinson – Elliot Styles © - Reiss Noel – Tambeson Eyong (Martin Tuohy 66) – Frankie Curley – Leon McKenzie – Lewis Smith (Wayne Gray 79) – Rimmel Daniel

Subs – James Love – Joey May

Scorer – Trowbridge 39

Attendance 257

Bookings – Reynolds 33 (H) – Eyong 61 (H) - Price 70 (W)

Officials – J Busby with T Blanch and S Oakley

Duration 45.00 + 49.00

Weather – 4 degrees, sunny, wind speed 4 mph

WESTON-SUPER-MARE 1 HORNCHURCH 1

On a dazzlingly bright sunny day, play started slowly, and apart from a corner for Weston-Super-Mare, which was headed away by Elliot Styles, there was very little goalmouth action.

Two attempts from outside the area by the home side sailed high and wide, and the first attacking move from Hornchurch came when Alex Bentley slipped the ball through to Lewis Smith, who weaved his way into a shooting position, and Lloyd Irish made a good save to keep the ball out of the net.

And Smith was again sent through, this time by Frankie Curley, and again was foiled by keeper Irish, who came out quickly to save at Smith’s feet.

Tambeson Eyong caused a few problems in the home defence, and it was from an Eyong pass that Smith set off on another solo run, and this ended when he fired his shot past Irish but narrowly wide of the far post, with Leon McKenzie, in a better position, just failing to get a touch.

But for the most part it was the home side that forced the first half pace, with Ross Stearn creating numerous problems on the right wing, one of which led to a booking for Duran Reynolds.

Most of the home moves originated along the right flank, so it was something of a surprise when the only goal of the match came from a rare sortie along the left wing. Dayle Grubb made the running along the wing, rounding Bentley and laying the ball low into the middle, for BRETT TROWBRIDGE to touch into the net.

Ross Stearn was replaced just before the interval, Kane Ingram coming on, and Weston-Super-Mare quickly lost much of their earlier dominance.

The second half started with a good shot by Lewis Smith who had run on to a cross from Rimmel Daniel, but the ball went over the bar.

At the other end Joe Woolley punched clear from Grubb’s corner, and Woolley was somewhat fortunate shortly afterwards when he delayed a fraction too long in clearing the ball, which cannoned back off of Chas Hemmings, though well side of the goal.

Woolley then made a good save from a first time drive by Pete Monks, and Hornchurch then began to get much more of the territorial play.

Tambeson Eyong was then booked for what appeared to be a perfectly fair challenge for the ball – by the same referee who controversially booked Eyong at Maidenhead earlier this season.

Yet two very hard challenges by home players went unpunished apart from a lengthy finger waving exercise.

Rimmel Daniel fired a shot wide, and Jamie Laird returned the compliment at the other end, hitting his shot high over the bar.

Martin Tuohy came on for Eyong, and for a short time the home side threatened, with two corners, the second of which was firmly punched clear by Woolley, Reiss Noel having ably dealt with the first.

Michael Spencer replaced Reynolds, with Daniel dropping back to left back. And it was Spencer who inadvertently played a central role in a very controversial moment soon afterwards when Rimmel Daniel’s long throw was cleared only as far as Lewis Smith who quickly slid the ball through to Spencer, who appeared to be pulled back as he homed in on goal, as a result of which the ball was scrambled off the line and out for a corner. The referee ignored the loud appeals from both players and supporters behind the goal for a penalty.

From Andy Tomlinson’s corner the ball was cleared upfield to Kane Ingram, who made ground but hit his shot wide.

Wayne Gray then came on for Lewis Smith, and the effect was immediate, as Gray opened up the defence with an excellent pass which McKenzie just failed to reach, keeper Irish just reaching the ball first.

Gray created more openings on the right and from one of his crosses into the middle, Tuohy was just beaten to the ball by Matt Villis.

This proved to be the last Hornchurch attempt at goal as the home side successfully played out the four minutes of stoppage time.

Good points: Large clubhouse complete with skttles alley, £10 to get in, friendly barstaff.

Bad points: Programme was one of the worst I've seen in this league, no atmosphere from the home crowd, the seagulls made more noise then them, apart from the main stand, the club seems to have deteriorated over a short period of time.

Rob - just to elaborate a bit - the seagulls were mainly herring gulls, though there were also black headed gulls and a couple of lesser black backed gulls.

The way down was through red kite country, two of which came very close to the edge of the motorway.

Other highlight was a ring necked parakeet in the HFC car park.

As already stated, the programme was very poor - the colour version was very poor and the black and white version was even worse. On the plus side, they also gave out team sheets to anyone who wanted them. But this detracted from programme sales, as some were simply picking up the team sheet and walking away without buying a programme.

I was told that WSM intend to link up the small stand along the side with the new(ish) stand behind the goal.

Attendance was given as 256 and then amended to 257 - not too sure why, presumably they had a recount.

I thought HFC deserved to get a point out of the match, after almost being overrun at times in the first half.

SH was far better, with the home side hanging on at times.

Uncertain how Michael Spencer's run at goal was stopped - loud appeals for a penalty as he was held back just short of the goal.

Good point was the form of Wayne Gray when he came on - it made a lot of difference.

Bad point - the two absolutely awful videos which we were forced to endure on the coach coming back from WSM. Whoever decided to inflict them on us should be banned.

First DVD was 'proper naughty' as Danny Dyer might have put it.

Actually, it just wasn't very good. I don't think that Ray Winstone got through a sentence without swearing and the storyline was poor.

I personally liked the second one, although each to their own tastes.

Still, it took your mind off the trip back after a defeat.

Talking about swearing I must apologise for my bad language during the match, think it was 'cos my Speckled Hen was spiked.

Reckon you missed that bird daggsy, was in the chiller cabinet in the bar area. Should have been on the warm shelf.

And if anybody's interested I can bring my dvd of a Leonard Cohen concert on the next trip, guarantee everybody a quiet ride home.

Archived