Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Which Cup competitions do teams most/least seriously?

jertzee

I am not talking about Premier or Football League clubs here - I just mean CCL clubs.

How do people rank or take seriously each of the cup competitions they enter.

Obviously there will be different reasons. Everyone wants to do well in the FA Cup but realistically no CCL team will ever win it.

The FA Vase is tricky, but CCL teams have gone far before.

The League Cups give teams a chance of a trophy.

The County Cups give a better, yet still unrealistic chance of a trophy win (compared to the FA Cup), and not so much chance of a lucrative run as the FA Cup.

Do clubs treat them differently to players or are they as important to both?

What other cup competitions to teams enter, other than the main four mentioned.

What order would you rank them in?

For me, with my RPV hat on, as opposed to Wimbledon, it would be FA Cup, FA Vase, CCL League Cup, County cup.

Thanks

at bedfont sports its fa cup though weve been knocked out at first hurdle twice an im still yet to play in it, because of prize money the same for the fa vase. this season was frustrating in the vase we got knocked out by tring athletic an they were a poor side we just couldnt score on the day!!

we usually do well in the middlx county cup but were placed with ryman an blue square reserve sides this season so only got to the last 16 being beaten by northwood away.

the premier cup is somthing we looked at to rotate players an give others a chance this season realistically were not going to win it an would agree this is good to introduce youngsters into the action of prem football if they havent been playing regularly

This is a difficult question as I think supporters of a club might have a different priority to those of the club officials or the Manager and his staff.

Many years ago we got to Wembley in the Vase, and ever since we have had this false mentality that we do well in it. We don't! It remains however, the competition where there is a chance of real progress on a national scale and for me this year as is often the case, going out of the Vase represents the low point of the season.

The club would undoubtedly say the FA Cup has priority and our win over Three Bridges and trip to Bognor in the next round this season were a nice bonus for the club that on paper you wouldn't have expected us to get. The prize fund for the Vase doesn't come close to that of the Cup.

Realistically though there is only one competition that we could actually win and this remains the League Cup. However, our team is often rotated for this match, which leads me to believe it has a lesser priority for our Manager, which I also understand, especially this season onwards as we have no Reserve team.

I think all at the club are probably agreed that definitely fourth and last in the list of competitions that we play is the Surrey Senior Cup. Whilst some top sides don't always put strong sides out there is always a chance of progress and teams like Merstham and Godalming have proven that you don't have to be a Sutton, Wimbledon or Woking to win it. However, by putting weaker teams out I think they devalue the competition and for me it is the least interesting of the competitions. Maybe if we were in with a real shout of winning it I'd change my mind.

We don't enter any other comps these days. Southern Combination Cup, London Senior Cup, and other assorted bits and pieces we have entered in the past but not for years now. With all due respect to the organisers of those competitions, they are not missed.

For me was always FA cup FA vase/ trophy - then once out of them at (august/september) the premier cup surrey/aldershot cups / then the rest were just go give people games!

Love the FA Cup can not be bettered, FA vase gives you a chance (Sometimes) to play new teams vistit new grounds, Surrey Senior again chance to playing bigge side and Grounds this year for us AFC Wimbledon, then the League Cup everybody has a chance at that. Cup games always good for supporters add that something extra!

I am not talking about Premier or Football League clubs here - I just mean CCL clubs.

How do people rank or take seriously each of the cup competitions they enter.

Obviously there will be different reasons. Everyone wants to do well in the FA Cup but realistically no CCL team will ever win it.

The FA Vase is tricky, but CCL teams have gone far before.

The League Cups give teams a chance of a trophy.

The County Cups give a better, yet still unrealistic chance of a trophy win (compared to the FA Cup), and not so much chance of a lucrative run as the FA Cup.

Do clubs treat them differently to players or are they as important to both?

What other cup competitions to teams enter, other than the main four mentioned.

What order would you rank them in?

For me, with my RPV hat on, as opposed to Wimbledon, it would be FA Cup, FA Vase, CCL League Cup, County cup.

Thanks

Agree with that.

Love the FA Cup can not be bettered, FA vase gives you a chance (Sometimes) to play new teams vistit new grounds, Surrey Senior again chance to playing bigge side and Grounds this year for us AFC Wimbledon, then the League Cup everybody has a chance at that. Cup games always good for supporters add that something extra!

Carthorse,

As a Wimbledon fan I will be one of the 200 or so at next Tuesdays game. If you are a keeper you will get some friendly banter from me too! :)

Our gates in the County cups have gone down every single season and the club now do not even put it down as a fixture in the programme (ie they dont see it as a first team game).

Wimbledon use the County cup games (as we play in the London and Surrey versions) to play the youngsters, fringe players and a run out for those coming back from injury.

As a result we have no structure and the game is poor.

As Horley are doing reasnably well I expect to be beaten or at least be taken to extra time, as we were by Ashford in the last County Cup game a few weeks ago...

See you there!

1 - FA Cup. would rather get to the 1st round and draw a league club away than get promoted :)

2 - FA Vase - As mentioned above it is nice to go to some new places.

3 - League Cup - We might win it !!

4 - Surrey Cup - the only decent hope is that you get one of the bigger clubs at home and they bring a few !!!

5 - Aldershot Senior Cup - Bit of local bragging rights but wouldnt bother me if we didnt enter it

6 - Anyother Cup - Pointless !!!

I think it all depends on the situation of the team.

If a team is in contention for the title/promotion or battling relegation then that will be their primary focus, but also with emphasis on the high profile cups (FA Cup and Vase) both for the prize money and the prestige.

If a team is in mid-table with no prospects of either Promotion or relegation, then the League Cups might well be high on the list to bring some silverware for the season.

For example, while I'm sure they would like to win it, Gsy (sorry to mention again but speaking from my team's point of view) might give a few more second string players in the Premier Cup because they are challening for promotion/title, have a chance to progress in the Vase and already have a fixture backlogue. They certainly wouldn't try to lose the game, they have the right attitude in every game - but that cup would be the least of our priorities.

There can still be unexpected results. Last year when we were in Div 1 we won the Premier Cup but were knocked out the Div 1 Cup

I think all at the club are probably agreed that definitely fourth and last in the list of competitions that we play is the Surrey Senior Cup. Whilst some top sides don't always put strong sides out there is always a chance of progress and teams like Merstham and Godalming have proven that you don't have to be a Sutton, Wimbledon or Woking to win it. However, by putting weaker teams out I think they devalue the competition and for me it is the least interesting of the competitions. Maybe if we were in with a real shout of winning it I'd change my mind.

Merstham were damn lucky the year we won the Surrey Senior Cup (we were reinstated in an early round after getting knocked out!) but winning it was still one of the best experiences as a fan. We won the League Cup the same year (beating Bedfont Green) and it didn't seem to have nearly as much significance.

Archived