Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Help with identification please?

This small bird (smaller than a sparrow) was begging bread from us on the island of Lobos, off Fuerteventura on Friday 11th Jan. It was very bold, never flew or made a sound. It was clearly used to people.

Have tried to upload images but can't seem to do it!

This link takes you to photobucket.

Behaviour and streaking down chest made me think thrush, but it was tiny.

http://s1327.beta.photobucket.com/user/BobBrown3/library/

This small bird (smaller than a sparrow) was begging bread from us on the island of Lobos, off Fuerteventura on Friday 11th Jan. It was very bold, never flew or made a sound. It was clearly used to people.

Have tried to upload images but can't seem to do it!

This link takes you to photobucket.

Behaviour and streaking down chest made me think thrush, but it was tiny.

http://s1327.beta.ph...Brown3/library/

I saw something similar in Madeira a few years ago and was told it was a stonechat.

Thanks Missunderstood. There is a Canary Islands chat and I saw one or two at distance while cycling on Fuerteventura last week, You're probably right.

Having looked at images for Canary Islands Chats I'm now happy that that is what it was (female). Thanks missunderstood.

Rob. That looks more like it! I had dismissed pipits as I thought that they were larger.

It ain't easy this birdwatching lark.

Sometimes looking on websites etc can be misleading.

I can see where Alan is coming from with the stonechat but it didn't seem right to me.

Most pipits can vary

In this country we have rock/water and meadow which can all be confusing especially rock and water which are both found by the water/estuary etc

Meadow,more meadows but also by water/estuaries etc

Tree pipit,larger but in trees etc etc

It ain't easy this birdwatching lark.

Sometimes looking on websites etc can be misleading.

I can see where Alan is coming from with the stonechat but it didn't seem right to me.

Most pipits can vary

In this country we have rock/water and meadow which can all be confusing especially rock and water which are both found by the water/estuary etc

Meadow,more meadows but also by water/estuaries etc

Tree pipit,larger but in trees etc etc

If its any help the birds we saw was on a cliff face. Didn't see anything else I haven't seen in the UK. Some of the gardens though was spectacular.

I saw several birds that looked more like Fuerteventura chats while cycling and this little bird didn't seem like them. I think by its behaviour (hopping about and approaching close to take food,) that Rob's pipit is most likely. The only pipits I've ever seen in England though were much bigger than this little lady.

• 1 month later...

Where was this Alan??

There was a Slav at Rainham the other week,although they can look similar to little grebe depending on plumage.Black necked grebes are also quite similar.I know you are going to hate me saying it but if its at harrow lodge park it sounds like little grebe although not entirely the best place for them,will defiantly check it out

Where was this Alan??

There was a Slav at Rainham the other week,although they can look similar to little grebe depending on plumage.Black necked grebes are also quite similar.I know you are going to hate me saying it but if its at harrow lodge park it sounds like little grebe although not entirely the best place for them,will defiantly check it out

It was Harrow Lodge Park and was definitely not a little grebe because of the orange/yellow cheeks, we often see little grebes on the lake but because its so toxic nothing apart from Canada Geese and swans stay very long. There's quite a few juvenile swans on the lake but not one lake bred cygnet has survived for about six years now.

Will check it out later if I get time,

Slavonian grebes will still be in winter plumage which is grey/black/white colour very dull.

Black necked the same,still in winter plumage

If either are on the change then it could be confusing.Wouldnt think black necked would be on that lake,or Slavs but Slavs would be the more likely of the two

Will check it out later if I get time,

Slavonian grebes will still be in winter plumage which is grey/black/white colour very dull.

Black necked the same,still in winter plumage

If either are on the change then it could be confusing.Wouldnt think black necked would be on that lake,or Slavs but Slavs would be the more likely of the two

Cheers, never seen either bird before but all my bird books suggested the same thing.

Had an hour over there around midday,saw 3 little grebes,one which was lighter brown than the others and slightly different facially.It was a bit confusing until I saw the white on its bill.Not sure if this was the bird though.

Also had 8 greenfinch

Grey wagtail

2 swans and a kestrel overhead

Archived