Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Congratulations

I've been going for 31 years now & that has to rank as the most exciting game I've seen involving Fleet - better even than the Barnet & Ketering replays in the FA Trophy that year we eventually went out at Macclesfield.

Exeter are probably kicking themselves for not being at least 2 up at half time. They'd done their preparation well, ensuring that Ben Walshe barely got a sniff of the ball & playing it at their pace.

Whatever Andy put in the half time tea, can I have some, please? We came out roaring & somehow you just knew we were going to score;the momentum was so relentless. What a classic striker's goal by Rob Haworth for the 3rd in extra time. Wonderful ball into the inside right channel, one touch, goal in his sights & bang in the net. And Andrew Drury. What a first touch & how good is his delivery?

Yes I know we were pants at set pieces (viz the 1st & 3rd goals & the 2nd was a result of unecessary panic & hesitation, but it all combined to provide the most dramatic of finales. Had to feel a bit sorry for the Exeter fans. A massive journey & to see their team lose like that when they must have fancied their chances in the shoot out. Was I the only one to sense their players were happy to play it out for penalties in the 2nd period of extra time? Possibly just wishful thinking on my part.

Absolutely essential we get a good following at Chester. The players really do repond if we make a noise & it could make all the difference. No one gives us a prayer, but after our results at Hereford, Stevenage & Morecambe, who knows?

EC

Dont know about Exeter kicking themselves that they werent at least 2 up at half time - dont recall Wilko having a save to make in the first half other than the one he turned over the bar and, of course, the goal.

On the other hand, Rob Haworth had a header cleared off the line and Chris Moore should have done better with a header shortly before half time.

So, on chances, in the first half, the sides were pretty even.

ok, Exeter probably had more possession, but rarely did they actually threaten Wilko's goal in the first half..

Personally, I was just hoping we'd get to half time only one down. True there was just the one save to make, apart from the goal, & we had 2 good chances ourselves, but Exeter were clearly bossing the game throughout the first period. Given the possession & control they had, they should have created more chances.

However, the half time talk (which certainly sounded quite heated as I walked past the dressing room on my way for a pint of nerve-calmer) worked miracles. It's all about being able to impose the way you want to play & that's exactly what we did after the break. Just a shame for our nervous conditions that, even when playing at our best, we can fail to defend a set piece, from just inside our own half, properly and a ball dropping into the hole between midfield & defence, which I felt was still often far to wide, can cause panic of Corporal Jones proportions.

A tribute to both sides for the quality of the penalty taking - & what a reflecton on the quirkiness of human nature that things only got shaky when to score became virtually do or die. All credit to Rob Owen's sangfroid in not following the emerging pattern. (However, am I right in thinking the Exeter goalie touched it onto the post before it went in?)

Let's hope we can get rid of Mr Hyde for the visit of Accrington Stanley. Will be tough & despite what feels like a really good run, we still desperately need 3 points.

Graham S