Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

games tues 29th jan.

Ok fair enough I clearly misintrepeted what he meant - touche E&E! However the figures I put above show GFC have been a benefit to CCL attendances because they are almost all above average when GFC are in town. Less than last year for a Gsy visit maybe, but still more than it would be for any other CCL team, based in Surrey or somewhere.

However, I would still disagree about the point Smudge is making - that GFC TV is the cause. All the people i know who went to most away games last year still go this year, so GFCTV clearly hasn't affected them/us, so it must be the neutrals/groundhoppers who aren't coming as much. Whether it is because they have subscribed to GFCTV or because for them, the whole novelty about teh newness of Guernsey has worn off. I've already argued this point in a previous thread regarding the Hartley Wintney game, as last season it was Guernsey's first competitive away game so there would have been much higher interest, and therefore highly anticipated by more neutrals and grounhoppers. This season, it wasn't anything new so not as much interest (except to Guernsey fans). Also, last season that fixture last season was in August - therefore warmer and people more likely to venture out. This year, a cold November night. I've witnessed games at professional level where cold or rain has meant less people have turned up - so I'm sure that's as extremely likely at non-league level.

I'd be interested to know the subscription figures to GFCTV for non-Guernsey fans. I think even if GFCTV didn't exist, attendances would still have dropped slightly because some of the neutrals and groundhoppers had got over the initial curiosity about Guernsey. As mentioned above, we have still brought bigger crowds to CCL games, regardless of whether they are higher than the first year or not

Goodness me hope I'm not becoming a Guernsey Donkey! God forbid

Edited by Green Lion

One thing I wouild say is that the perception that Guernsey are making a profit on this is a false one IMO. The figures really do not stack up. It is more of a service for Guernsey based fans to watch UK based matches and vice-a-versa.

Really?

How much does it cost GFCTV to film a match and how many subscribers have they got?

They're either making a loss, in which case it's a really stupid thing to do, especially as it's probably affecting home attendances or they're making a profit.

I haven't got a clue about talented players. I only go to games for the beer and chips. What happens on the pitch is secondary. We used to have what I considered a completely average player playing for us called Matt Pattison. After leaving us he played for Farnborough, Woking and Rushden & Diamonds. I was happy to admit I was wrong about him and it shows what I know about talent.

To be fair nobody could of guessed Matt Pattison would go on to become a very good player in kids football playing for Camberley he was very average.