Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FA Vase Final Might Move From Wembley

What if it had of been a Shildon v Spennymoor Final then, all those fans from the North East travelling down to Wembley when St James Park is on their own doorstep, it's crazy!

Trouble is it is very difficult to book a venue at such short notice.

A contact of mine used to work with booking events at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, and very often you would have to book, pay and confirm an event nine months beforehand.  The only event I can recall being booked a month before it happened is the Tsunami Relief Concert, and that was a special case.

Edited by The Mayor Of Simpleton

Surprise, surprise, the usual poor crowd then at the Spennymoor v Tunbridge Wells Final on Saturday, when will the FA learn that playing the FA Vase Final at a Premiership Stadium inbetween the two finalists, such as Villa Park or the Ricoh Arena in this case, will guarantee a far better attendance

For a match between 2 clubs low down the non league pyramid, the attendance was very reasonable.  It actually beat the attendance the day after for the Conference Play Off Final between Wrexham & Newport!

As for moving it from Wembley, you have to remember the FA own Wembley, the Vase is their competition, and they are flogging Wembley for as many events as they possibly can to pay back the costs of building the place.  As I said before, the best option would be to double head the Trophy and Vase finals on the same day.  Reduced costs for the stadium, higher crowds, meaning more income.  Winners all round.

For a match between 2 clubs low down the non league pyramid, the attendance was very reasonable.  It actually beat the attendance the day after for the Conference Play Off Final between Wrexham & Newport!

As for moving it from Wembley, you have to remember the FA own Wembley, the Vase is their competition, and they are flogging Wembley for as many events as they possibly can to pay back the costs of building the place.  As I said before, the best option would be to double head the Trophy and Vase finals on the same day.  Reduced costs for the stadium, higher crowds, meaning more income.  Winners all round.

I agree.  

The Millennium Stadium held something like three rugby games on one day a week or so ago - so it can easily be done.

You could have 2 games on the same day and sell it as one ticket,which is the only way you could do it as logistically it would be a nightmare shifting people out and then others back in.

Problem being is that there are some big clubs in the conference who could take 30000 plus,ie Luton,Cambridge and a few others,say you got two decent supported vase sides who suddenly wanted 30000 tickets between them you wouldn't have enough

It's only a matter of time before a biggish club goes bust,ends up back in conference and could take 40000 to wembley

Edited by Eastside Urchin

Yep,attendance was great.

I wouldn't describe it as great. I believe the ticket prices for the Vase Final are quite reasonable compared to other Finals at Wembley where most of the attendance is made up of the two Club's fans so the old fashioned cloth cap brigade go along for a day out and Fathers bring their wide eyed sons to a football Cathedral for the first time.

You could have 2 games on the same day and sell it as one ticket,which is the only way you could do it as logistically it would be a nightmare shifting people out and then others back in.

Problem being is that there are some big clubs in the conference who could take 30000 plus,ie Luton,Cambridge and a few others,say you got two decent supported vase sides who suddenly wanted 30000 tickets between them you wouldn't have enough

It's only a matter of time before a biggish club goes bust,ends up back in conference and could take 40000 to wembley

Luton are the largest supported team in the Conference, and would easily take 25 - 30,000 tickets.  Most of the other larger clubs (Cambridge, Kidderminster, Grimsby, Lincoln etc would attract a decent following for a one off match.  Bu the chances of 4 teams selling out the stadium are quite slim I feel, and even if there was large demand for tickets, it would be up to the clubs to ensure they were allocated fairly amongst their "real" fans, not just day trippers and glory hunters.  It is a common sense way forward, which if managed properly by the FA, could earn them greater profits than 2 matches over 2 days.  I won't hold my breath though!

One other problem you have to watch (especially with Luton and also Nuneaton) is trouble-makers milling around Wembley Stadium causing trouble.

Surely its every players dream to play at Wembley, and every supporters dream to watch their team play there. I remember watching Romford play at Highbury once, and have been to Wembley a number of times to watch Dagenham. There really is no comparison and playing the vase final at any other stadium would damage it beyond repair IMO.

One other problem you have to watch (especially with Luton and also Nuneaton) is trouble-makers milling around Wembley Stadium causing trouble.

Isn't that what Wembley pay stewards to look out for and deal with? :o

SG24, yes it is, but having seen at 1st hand at Kenilworth Road what some of the so-called Luton fans can be like I would be very worried.

Luton v Nuneaton at Wembley, for example, would have potential for real trouble.  Indeed,I believe there were incidents at their games at Kenilworth Road and The Triton Stadium this season gone.

Yes but in the North East St James Park makes Wembley seem like playing on Hackney Marshes in comparison

• 2 weeks later...

There was a letter in yesterday's Non League paper entitled 'is it time for a Vase re-shuffle' where the correspondent suggests that Step 4 Club's should be included leaving Steps 1-3 Club's to compete for the FA Trophy. He rightly points out that many Step 4 sides are no better than those at Step 5 and stand no chance whatsoever in the prestigious Trophy but would give the Vase more balance and create more interest.

I think that Steps 1-4 (Semi Pro) should compete for the Trophy, and below that should be for the Vase if the ground has the right facilities.

No need to change it.

The Mayor of Simpleton - But what's the point of Step 4 Club's being in the FA Trophy

The Mayor of Simpleton - But what's the point of Step 4 Club's being in the FA Trophy

Couldn't the same be argued for clubs at the bottom of the Pymarid being in the Vase or even in the FA Cup? All generate revenue and interest for those clubs?