Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Force the Premier League to back grassroots football

Adie Haynes

signed.

Can anyone confirm the sudden cause of this petition?

Titter says the department of Sport and Culture have cut funding towards Grass Roots football, can anyone confirm this? I would've thought such a high key cut would have caused a larger stir in the football community.

signed.

Can anyone confirm the sudden cause of this petition?

Titter says the department of Sport and Culture have cut funding towards Grass Roots football, can anyone confirm this? I would've thought such a high key cut would have caused a larger stir in the football community.

Haven't heard anything about funding cuts but with this nasty government I wouldn't be surprised, although I would imagine that the term "grassroots football" refers to school and junior football and not non league.

Agree with SG24 though, no one will take a blind bit of notice, and with the combined debt of the premiership approaching one billion pounds its all rather futile.

Years ago, every Sunday (or almost every Sunday) my train-mad Dad would put a video on every Sunday called 'Trouble On The Line'.

It was part of a series called 'Going Loco' and was made by Equinox (bet nobody remembers it!) in around 1990 or 1991 - just prior to British Rail being privatised and sold off to the likes of Stagecoach, Connex, First Group etc.

Having recently watched the 50 minute production again on You Tube, there are striking similarities between British Rail then and Non League. Both are under siege and have huge pressures put on them from both inside and outside the game. Consider this quote:

'British Rail operates in a hostile world. It strives to meet Government targets, yet remain competitive in a ruthless transport market.'

Non League clubs have to jump through so many hoops, and yet remain financially viable and compete against other clubs in the same boat (or worse!)

Sometimes I wonder if privatising football would be an idea, and let the game be run along business lines. Sure, let the companies running the game make a profit on condition that they reinvest money back into the game especially at grass roots level.

Years ago, every Sunday (or almost every Sunday) my train-mad Dad would put a video on every Sunday called 'Trouble On The Line'.

It was part of a series called 'Going Loco' and was made by Equinox (bet nobody remembers it!) in around 1990 or 1991 - just prior to British Rail being privatised and sold off to the likes of Stagecoach, Connex, First Group etc.

Having recently watched the 50 minute production again on You Tube, there are striking similarities between British Rail then and Non League. Both are under siege and have huge pressures put on them from both inside and outside the game. Consider this quote:

'British Rail operates in a hostile world. It strives to meet Government targets, yet remain competitive in a ruthless transport market.'

Non League clubs have to jump through so many hoops, and yet remain financially viable and compete against other clubs in the same boat (or worse!)

Sometimes I wonder if privatising football would be an idea, and let the game be run along business lines. Sure, let the companies running the game make a profit on condition that they reinvest money back into the game especially at grass roots level.

I'm not sure if there's too many non league clubs that are "financially viable" with most clubs being a hairs width away from the knackers yard. How or why any sane person would wish to privatise football is completely beyond me and perhaps you could expand on this interesting theory.

I'm not sure if there's too many non league clubs that are "financially viable" with most clubs being a hairs width away from the knackers yard. How or why any sane person would wish to privatise football is completely beyond me and perhaps you could expand on this interesting theory.

Certainly Alan:

Imagine that I am a multi-millionaire (and don't tell the tax man!) and I set up a company via Companies House called KINGSPORT.

I agree to the tender to run non league as a business but with the sports side at the heart of it.

i inject £10m in a contingency fund/central pot which clubs from Step 1 downwards can take from whenever necessary (whether it be for emergency ground repairs, to stop going into administration, to increase capacity etc.) and then the Government pays me for keeping non-league in good shape.

So I would control the non league side of the game, with another party controlling the Football League and another controlling the Premier League.

Certainly Alan:

Imagine that I am a multi-millionaire (and don't tell the tax man!) and I set up a company via Companies House called KINGSPORT.

I agree to the tender to run non league as a business but with the sports side at the heart of it.

i inject £10m in a contingency fund/central pot which clubs from Step 1 downwards can take from whenever necessary (whether it be for emergency ground repairs, to stop going into administration, to increase capacity etc.) and then the Government pays me for keeping non-league in good shape.

So I would control the non league side of the game, with another party controlling the Football League and another controlling the Premier League.

In these austere times, or any other time come to think of it, I fail to understand why any government (UK taxpayers) should pay anyone to control non league football. The non league game is in a mess because of a variety of reasons and if clubs cant make themselves viable they go under, it really is as simple as that.

IMO taxpayers should not be asked to subsidise the arts, religion, private education and certainly not professional football clubs, which many non league clubs are.

The problem then is who does pay?

Usually the clubs when the money is cut off.

There has to be a better way of both making non league clubs viable, and also improving the game at grass roots. John Sitton recently commented that too much money was disappearing out of the game, so how do we 'plug the volcano' and keep more money in the game in the hope of attracting more bums on seats and more money coming in from the fans?

The problem then is who does pay?

Usually the clubs when the money is cut off.

There has to be a better way of both making non league clubs viable, and also improving the game at grass roots. John Sitton recently commented that too much money was disappearing out of the game, so how do we 'plug the volcano' and keep more money in the game in the hope of attracting more bums on seats and more money coming in from the fans?

The only way to make non league football viable is for clubs to work together. It will never happen though because of brainless tribalism, petty jealousies, and fowl mouth morons who think it clever to behave like the idiots they are, and its them and the people that allow it to happen that puts off parents and grandparents from bringing the next generation of supporters to games.

The only way to "keep more money in the game" is to generate it in the first place, which is just not happening because most sane people with any business acumen would run a mile from most non league clubs.

I agree with you over non league football clubs - it's inebitable that some clubs will have to merge and others will go out of business in my opinion. There's no way that the Premiership is going to invest in non-league football, there's too much greed about. It's a shame, but I can't see any other outcome.

As for cutting spending on Arts - It generates income for the country. If you cut too deeply with arts spending, then you do so at your peril.

I find most Fowl Mouth morons are generally chickens ;)

Archived