Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Bashley & New Milton Town Set To Merge

http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/new-forest-clubs-set-to-merge-20431/

New Milton's resignation will further weaken the Wessex League, which is struggling to both keep and attract clubs as members.

http://nonleague.pit...to-merge-20431/

New Milton's resignation will further weaken the Wessex League, which is struggling to both keep and attract clubs as members.

It looks like a great move for the two clubs and for both sets of supporters to me. IMO there's far to many clubs chasing too few supporters coupled with falling attendances and massively increasing travelling costs mergers are the way forward if non league football is to survive.

I think both chairmen should be congratulated for their forward looking response to the problems facing non league football.

I agree it's good in one way, as Bashley & New Milton could be a decent Conference South side.

However, the Wessex (like the Hellenic and other leagues) is haemorraging teams at an alarming rate. They only have 16 teams in their 1st Division and will be down to 20 for their Premier League if New Milton leave.

Unless the Wessex can ramp Division 1 up (bring back Aldermaston, Kintbury and possibly Shaftesbury) then they will be in trouble soon. I hate to use the term 'cherry picking' but it may be the only way the Wessex and other leagues struggling to attract new teams can stay in existence.

I agree it's good in one way, as Bashley & New Milton could be a decent Conference South side.

However, the Wessex (like the Hellenic and other leagues) is haemorraging teams at an alarming rate. They only have 16 teams in their 1st Division and will be down to 20 for their Premier League if New Milton leave.

Unless the Wessex can ramp Division 1 up (bring back Aldermaston, Kintbury and possibly Shaftesbury) then they will be in trouble soon. I hate to use the term 'cherry picking' but it may be the only way the Wessex and other leagues struggling to attract new teams can stay in existence.

If my theory that there is to many clubs and to few supporters is correct then it naturally follows that theres to many leagues. What non league football desperately needs is a radical regionalization to take place but it seems that different leagues are jealously defending their own positions to the detriment of the game in general.

Non League does need galvanizing, and whilst what you have said makes sense I would rather more clubs and increase league numbers.

16 teams in a Step 6 league is a travesty imho. There are more than 16 teams in the Gloucester Northern League!

Non League does need galvanizing, and whilst what you have said makes sense I would rather more clubs and increase league numbers.

16 teams in a Step 6 league is a travesty imho. There are more than 16 teams in the Gloucester Northern League!

More clubs + more leagues = more insolvencies.

Maybe if they are poorly run, and if the communities they are in aren't interested in supporting or sponsoring them.

I can't see why we can't top up non league with clubs, providing they are all well run. We blame money as the cause of the problem, but isn't the misuse of money the real problem?

If the Wessex and Hellenic eventually vanish, maybe the FA's plan for 12 regional leagues will come to fruition by default?

Lol, you've jinxed it now Ian!

The Hellenic at Step 6 (West/East) is really struggling for new members, and one suggestion made recently was to invite Neath (if reformed) and Llanelli (almost bankrupt) into the West.

I know that a number of Welsh League sides are looking at joining the English Non League Pyramid (TNS, Rhyl, Caernarfon and Barry are just a few names mentioned) so perhaps they could be given places in the English set-upone day?

In the East, it would be nice to see Chipping Norton come back. I did hear that a certain Mr. Clarkson was interested in getting involved with them....

As for the Wessex, Locks Heath might be moving up from the Hampshire League but there are very few Step 7 sides who can step up - Liss, Shaftesbury Aldermaston and Kintbury possibly but that would be cherry picking.

It would be nice if all Step 5 and 6 Leagues could be 22/22 or 24/24 like the Northern League. However, as Alan rightly points out, that in turn creates its own problems.

Archived