Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

3G Turf Pitches the way forward

true but 'experts' reckon 75% less than grass pitch maintenance but that would depend on how well looked after a grass one is.

found this on tinterweb - www.mcardlesport.co.uk/pdfs/a5flyer_030512.pdf

Certainly this "maintenance fee" is a bit of a woolly area. I've heard figures from £25k p.a. to nearly three times that.

The bottom line is that one by one more clubs will take the plunge and the trickle will eventually become larger. They will be the more forward thinking clubs but they will also require the help of private investment, council help or a benefactor and it was the latter at Maidstone I was informed when I was there.Someone in the not too distant future will start offering these things at a larger discount and like when Sky TV came along (yes, not quite the same outlay but similar principle) it was like a feeding freenzy for the first few years as the distributors realised that this bonanza wouldn't be around for too long before everyone that wanted one would have one.

Personally, and I don't know the full details of course but from the outside Camberley appear an ideal candidate. They already have a strong youth structure, an access road that is well away from the public so could handle an increase in traffic without upsetting residents. Also their council owe them one after turning down that ground application a few years ago.

There is only one slight problem as far as I can see which is that I have been informed that currently the Football Foundation grants only go towards grass and not 3g. I don't know why that is, and of course that view may well change in the near future.

true but 'experts' reckon 75% less than grass pitch maintenance but that would depend on how well looked after a grass one is.

Just looking at the overall costs must make this impossible for clubs at our level, without a rich sugar-daddy or a very generous local benefactor, that is !

Just looking at the overall costs must make this impossible for clubs at our level, without a rich sugar-daddy or a very generous local benefactor, that is !

Do the FA give grants for these sort of things?

An some form of borrowing/financing will be required but that should be possible with the potential income that can be generated.

I'm not a businessman but that shows a profit of just £7180 a year. In ten years time, or maybe as low as seven years as I've seen mentioned in some places, you need to relay the pitch. It's probably not gonna cost the same amount as the inital outlay but certainly more than the profit they say you can make.

There is only one slight problem as far as I can see which is that I have been informed that currently the Football Foundation grants only go towards grass and not 3g. I don't know why that is, and of course that view may well change in the near future.

The Football Foundation do fund 3G pitches.

"The types of facilities we give money for include:

• grass pitches drainage/improvements

• pavilions, clubhouses and changing rooms

• artificial turf pitches and multi-use games areas

• fixed floodlights for artificial pitches.

We also provide development (revenue) grants to deliver football development associated with the new facility e.g. coaching, football development officer etc.

The maximum grant available from the Foundation for each facilities project is £500,000. However, applicants must show they have tried hard to get other funding for the project and that there is no further money available."

http://www.footballf...ilities-scheme/

Edited by VPCTFC

Just one bit of advice do not wear blades on 3G pitches the grip when wet is unpredictable. Talking from experience of breaking my ankle in 2 places when controlling a high ball and my standing foot slipped then gripped and my body had already adjusted to fall but my foot stayed gripped. Just writing this makes me feel wheezy.

Was enjoying reading this thread .....until E&E pops up with yet another marathon post and then I drifted off!! This guy would be no good on twitter where you're restricted to 140 characters, lol.

Chubby, if your sole contribution to a thread is to have a pop at someone, please don't bother.

Just one bit of advice do not wear blades on 3G pitches the grip when wet is unpredictable. Talking from experience of breaking my ankle in 2 places when controlling a high ball and my standing foot slipped then gripped and my body had already adjusted to fall but my foot stayed gripped. Just writing this makes me feel wheezy.

I was thinking about the possible injuries on the surface, I have certanly turned my bad ankle on the 3G which I have not managed to do yet on grass, but then a game a couple of weeks ago the oppostion striker backed onto an uneven bit of grass and did his ankle.

Thanks for that VPCTFC.

This £500k is a bit fake though. When I spoke to the Surrey FA developmental team in February they said that this would pretty much take up all of the Surrey budget for the season so was highly unlikely and kept drawing me towards the maximum of £100k figure.

I wonder if South Park or RPV have toyed with using their money towards 3G?

South Park are building a turnstile block and putting in a second stand as well as concreting some grass standing areas.

Gotta confess that as a football photographer I don't like 3G. Sure I can see the advantages in terms if weather complications but from an action point of view when taking photos it's just bland.

I'm never happier than when I capture safe sliding challenges and mud and grass flying everywhere. It captures the essence of the game more.

There is no doubt in my mind that a move to 3G will change the whole nature of our game. I have refereed on good quality 3G pitches and the whole character & feel of the game is different. Sterile. And for those who complain about football becoming a 'non contact sport' then playing on artificial surfaces will spell the end of many types of tackles. Surely football authorities can help manage this issue. Starting a little earlier/ finishing a little later, packing in midweek games early season, thinking outside the box about days/times of games, size of leagues, rethink about cup competitions, education on ground management etc.

I put a move to 3G and/or summer football in the same space as calls for technology. Lets be very careful what we wish for otherwise we will destroy the fabric of the game we all love.

But then I am old school!

All good points there Middle Man and although a disagree with a few I agree that we need to seriously explore all options open to football at this level.

All these red herrings wont stop progress,when non league football becomes a summer sport with 3G/4G pitches can't come quick enough as far as i'm concerned,when are you all gonna realise we can not go on like this many clubs will fold there is no money being generated,the FA should start footing the bill for 3G/4G and share the money out properly instead of giving it all to the fat cats of the Premier league,Its called sink or swim fellas and the only way forward