Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

3G Turf Pitches the way forward

When you think about it a natural grass pitch is pretty inefficient. Required for 20-25 home games a year, that's 40-50 hours play. Of course we want to play reserves and youth team games but the pitch won't stand for it after about mid-September.

Let's consider a year in the life of the ntaural pitch. August and September the season starts and if we are lucky perhaps half of October before 1 game a week is all the groundsman will allow. November through to March is a lottery, still only one game a week less any periods of flooding or ice and snow. Normally end of March and April there is a mad rush to get all the fixtures completed with possibly a less than fully fit squad before the pitch closes down for the annual prep for the new season.

In a worst case, but not altogether crazy, scenario a natural pitch is fit for purpose for about 12 weeks per annum concentrated into Aug/Sep/Mar and Apr so cramming early and late is an idea but 3G makes more sense doesn't it?

I am in the business of 3G but have a strong connection to NLF in the Thames Valley so I get it, the fors and againsts. Anyone want to ask a question and get an answer from someone who knows a bit about it feel free to ask.

• 2 years later...

KROONER, if you see the video again and count the times the shadows of the floodlight pilons go across it should give you an idea of how long it took.

On the other hand, you might get a reply from the horses mouth.

No, I didn't count.

I've been told that Bedfont Sports are eying up the possibilities of a full size 3G pitch . They have I think two 3G 5 a side pitches that seem to be in operation every evening and all weekend, more than keeps the bar ticking over, new drinkers every hour

KROONER, if you see the video again and count the times the shadows of the floodlight pilons go across it should give you an idea of how long it took.

On the other hand, you might get a reply from the horses mouth.

No, I didn't count.

It would probably give me a rough idea of the number of days worked on it but not necessarily how long it took from 1st working day to last working day :)

In my view 3 or 4 G is the way to go, but unless you have a rich benefactor or the local council get involved it would be out of most clubs reach. I know grants are available but with costs well into £250,000 plus you would need a very big grant.

I'm rather glad this thread has re-surfaced.

Lancing and the Sussex FA now.

Dorking and the Surrey FA due to be completed by the beginning of next season.

Work is in progress I'm reliably informed, so if anybody regularly passes trhe Meadowbank ground area regularly, updates on here would be very welcome.  As it stands at the moment, I have no reasons at all to wander down Mill Lane to the recreation area.

I know we have one 'poster' on this forum that lives not even a stones throw from the ground.

I believe the real work is due to start next week, the path at the Rec end will move a little further towards the pond to create a safe area for pedestrians while the demolition goes on.

It will be a bitter-sweet moment for me, many memories of highs and lows at the old ground but it will be great for the town.

Great news Trevor and Jeff, and many thanks.

All I'll say is that The Clock Is Ticking !  Just over half of the season to go, plus the spring break.  Hellva' lot to be done yet.

As a complete 'outsider', dare I ask if a possible third seasons ground-share could be on the cards ??

Edited by Big J R

• 1 month later...

I believe the real work is due to start next week, the path at the Rec end will move a little further towards the pond to create a safe area for pedestrians while the demolition goes on.

Over a month on and as far as I can tell absolutely no change.

I have to say I really don't like playing on 3G pitches. They still don't quite replicate a proper playing surface. I've played on some of the best (the one at St George's Park is graded very highly) and it's just not the same. Maybe I'm biased because I like to play a lot of the game sliding around on my backside. Or maybe it's because my joints always hurt more after time on a 3G. Give me soft turf any day!!

Over a month on and as far as I can tell absolutely no change.

Very many thanks, Trevor.

With my advancing years and creaking knees, shoulders and joints in general, I have very little need to venture down Mill Lane these days to view the state of play, or lack thereof.

I had heard in my local watering hole, from a completely non-football person who lives nearby that very little seems to be going on.

One can only wonder and hope.