Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Picture yourself beside the seaside at Hartsdown Park

BlueBoydie

post-10962-0-16532900-1374346930_thumb.jpg

Whether you're a home or away fan, make sure to get your photo taken with the Margate FC seaside picture board, sponsored by Ublow and pictured here demonstrated by director Mark and his son, the next time you're down at Hartsdown Park.

Come rain or shine, you can still get your photo taken beside the seaside.

The Scandinavian groundhopper who was at yesterday's game. I'll leave Ted to provide the story to go with the pic

post-864-0-63990500-1374913089_thumb.jpg

We were selling the draw tickets in the bar 'early doors' when some one appeared wearing what initially looked like a Margate shirt but the Waitrose logo gave it away as being that of Reading FC.  When we asked him to buy a ticket he readily agreed but said he would be unable to take up the prize if he won as he was shortly returning to Norway.  His name was Anders Johansen and was on a 6 day ground hopping trip around non league having been in UK all week watching games in places as diverse as Bilston, West Midlands and Histon, Cambs. His last game being today (Saturday) at Aveley before returning home.  He showed us a guide book, "Engelsk fotball", that he had written about all the 92 grounds in the higher echelons with each page having full details of the clubs and their histories plus local attraction and where to get a beer and food etc etc.  He said the print run had sold out as there is a huge interest in UK football in Norway.  There were about 6 people that he knew currently over here following non league as their preference.  We asked him to have his photo taken with the cut out which Don took.  What struck us was that we only found out about his trip by talking with him - no request for guided tours or special attention and he bought 3 or 4 beers from the bar.  He seemed to enjoy the game.  He has a football blog running but I forget the detail of it.  I do have his email address however.  A nice unassuming bloke.     

Link to Anders' book and a rough translation of the description:

http://www.aschehoug.no/nettbutikk/aco-boker%7C%7Creise%7C%7Ceuropa%7C%7Cengelsk-fotball-lagene-banene-pubene.html

"There is something special about English football. Every year, thousands of Norwegians travel to experience the authentic English football culture. This is the guide for you who want to experience English football "live"."

hopefully we'll see that other groundhopper-Onion Bag -back soon, and he'll leave in a more positive light this season.

Perhaps someone with a better grasp of the interweb than me-could send him the picture-surely that would tempt him back to the club

Received a reply to my email sending the photo to him :=

Thanks for your email, and that somewhat embarrassing photo. Haha..
I did indeed enjoy my visit to Hartsdown Park. Might see you again on my travels around the wonder that is the non league universe :)
Good luck in the return leg at Ramsgate. And even more important, good luck this season!

Regards,
Anders Johansen

It was indeed a positive response and I think we can say that we would like to see more fans and players pictures taken with the cut out on here so if any one has one please post it.  (If it is smutty then don't)   Maybe the press officer can get it featured in the Non League Paper ?

As previously suggested, this could be a hit with Away supporters visiting, and could bring in a few more pennies.

Maybe advertise in the Match Day programmes??

Excellent souvenir of their day out in Margate  and rather unique.

Mark and I discussed this and decided that as the idea is to promote us as a friendly seaside club that people will enjoy visiting it will be a free thing.  We are working on other ideas to present to MISA/MFC in the same vein that may well be chargeable such as getting candy floss onto the mobile kitchen (aka Burger van)

I bought this from the big factory at Blackpool and shipped it to Doha in the late 1970's when the Queen made a State visit there.  The Arabs have a sweet tooth.  The problem with 'rock' is that you have to buy what they call a 'boiling' where all the constituent ingredients are shovelled into the machine and then hand rolled afterwards - they might produce 100 sticks, 110 sticks or only 90.   It goes stale quite quickly if unsold as can be witnessed by purchases on any seafront these days so any goodwill can be quickly undone.   But it is one of many items that we could think about of course. 

Sorry, a last comment about the saucy seaside photo opportunity.  Whilst we may not charge, perhaps the Press Officer could

publicise it to Away Supporters prior to Margate games (even using this forum at other individual clubs), it may just bring a few more

through the turnstiles?  Bring the family blah blah?  Could even catch the eye of the national press?

Sorry, a last comment about the saucy seaside photo opportunity.  Whilst we may not charge, perhaps the Press Officer could

publicise it to Away Supporters prior to Margate games (even using this forum at other individual clubs), it may just bring a few more

through the turnstiles?  Bring the family blah blah?  Could even catch the eye of the national press?

already in hand - our  press officer is very proactive

Social media engagement through Twitter will be a useful tool too, and already on that through my personal account. Most Ryman teams seem to have an official account and active users so can user their Twitter handles to connect. Could do with a short and snappy hash tag to aid sharing. Anyone got any ideas?