Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Farnborough players all change their names via deed poll

RalphC

As part of a financially vital sponsorship deal with Paddy Power, the Conference South side's players and manager have all changed their names to greats in their positions

Non-league outfit Farnborough FC have signed legends of the game including Lionel Messi, Pele and Diego Maradona ... in a way.

As part of an unusual sponsorship agreement with bookmakers Paddy Power, the Conference South side have not only renamed their ground and updated their kit – all of their players, as well as their manager, have legally changed their names to those of footballing icons.

Players such as Alan Inns, Matt Ball and Dave Tarpey have swapped monikers by deed poll with greats who played in their respective positions, from Franz Beckenbauer to Paul Gascoigne.

Even their boss, formerly known as Spencer Day, has adopted the new identity of Jose Mourinho.

"The end result is that, on paper, the Conference South team will be without doubt the best combination of playing talent that has ever been assembled," a Farnborough press release boasted.

"It's not just the Farnborough FC faithful, all Conference South fans now need only to travel to Paddy Power Park, and not Camp Nou, to see some of the world's best players."

As well as attracting the biggest names in football to the sixth tier, the deal secures Farnborough's financial future, having been in administration since April.

Full Squad List:

Kevin Ainsley SCRIVEN -  Gordon BANKS - Goalkeeper
Joshua Adam HUGGINS -   Lothar MATTHAUS  -  Defender
Oliver George TREACHER -   Silva Rocha ROBERTO CARLOS -   Defender
Adam Hugh DOYLE -   Paolo MALDINI -   Defender
Alan Francis INNS -   Alan HANSEN -   Defender
Paul Jinnah MASSAQUOI -   Marcos Evangelista de Moraes CAFU -   Defender
Djibril FOFANA -   John TERRY  -  Defender
Thomas Andrew McGARRY -   Franz BECKENBAUER -   Defender
Reece Nicholas JONES -   George BEST -   Midfield
Stephen Thomas LAIDLER -   Paul GASCOIGNE -   Midfield
Merrick Anthony JAMES-LEWIS -   Zinedine ZIDANE -   Midfield
Tyrone Michael Justin BERRY -   Johann CRUYFF -   Midfield
Daniel BENNETT -   Lionel MESSI -   Strikers
Reece William CONNOLLY -   Gary LINEKER -   Strikers
David Charles TARPEY -   Diego MARADONA -   Strikers
Elvis Zark HAMMOND -   Edson Arantes do Nascimento PELE -   Strikers
Spencer DAY -   José MOURINHO -   Manager
Leigh James Thomas DYNAN -   Paddy POWER -   Assistant Manager
Simon John GARDENER -   Sir Alex Fergurson -   First-Team Coach
Roger Leslie PEIRCE -   Terry Venables -   Kit Man

It just about sums up the club,you can't have it both ways Alan,a few weeks ago you was moaning about the amount of money them and their likes went bust with owing to local business' ,I doubt very much this money will go towards paying back those debts in full

Until we know how much Paddy Power are putting into Farnborough its probably not fair to comment on whether they hope to pay off their debts. The idea is so completely bonkers though,  it may well generate enough interest in the club to get them back into Conference National and perhaps even higher. 

The truth is Rob, your probably as jealous as I am, and wish you had thought of it first.

No,not at all,it's a ridiculously stupid publicity stunt and just about sums up that club and the idiot manager/owner whatever his position is within that club nowadays.

You are right with one thing,it is completely bonkers!

I am all for way out ideas but this just smacks of farmborough once again laughing at the footballing authorities along with paddy power who will no doubt be in admin within 5 years!!

It's a bonkers publicity stunt, I cannot take the whole thing seriously. In a way I have to say fair play to Farnborough for securing their financial future, but you would think there were other ways of a) increasing publicity for the club, and B) bringing money into the club. I saw this start to blow up on Twitter yesterday actually, someone mentioned that these names would be on the back of the shirts, however upon further investigation it appears that they are not allowed, as per Conference South rules.

I think that Farnborough will have to concede at some point that they are struggling financially to cope with the BSS.

Stunts like this (even if it is true) isn't a long term solution to their underlying problems.

This story has been in quite a few national newspapers today, and coupled with a joint statement from Paddy Power and the club,  it seems to all be true and above board. IMO this is the first time for many years a club has come up with an original idea, and because it is so unique and bonkers it will never ever be copied.

I for one think its fantastic, and hope Farnborough have a great season.  

This story has been in quite a few national newspapers today, and coupled with a joint statement from Paddy Power and the club,  it seems to all be true and above board. IMO this is the first time for many years a club has come up with an original idea, and because it is so unique and bonkers it will never ever be copied.

I for one think its fantastic, and hope Farnborough have a great season.  

If it works, then fair enough - I have my doubts though. I believe that the Ex-Billericay chairman said on one of these forums words to the effect that football clubs have to grow naturally at this level through hard work

I wonder how many of the players have actually changed their names by deed poll, because unless its a conference rule that your  registered name with the league should correspond with whats on your birth certificate, its totally unnecessary, and we can legally  call ourselves whatever we like.