Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Just What Really Happened on Canvey

For those of you who are unaware of the happenings of Tuesday night in Canvey please be aware

1) Many spectators were left outside the ground either trapped with their vehicles or queuing to get through a single turnstile. Why weren’t more open? And why was the start not delayed?

2) Programmes sold out in no time and food too. Supporters were left in freezing conditions without being able get anything to eat or drink. Why were people not prepaired.

3) Canvey were hopelessly out-played for much of the game and only had one descent attempt on goal that possibly hit a post. Seconds after the second goal late in the game two of the four floodlights went out. This was very SUSPECT and sadly seemed to delight many home supporters. If this was coincidence the timing could not have been worse. The referee took off players for a supposed 15 minutes. Smug Canvey fans now know that they have challengers who more then match them on the park. I should like to know the circumstances of previous floodlight failures at the ground. Were their similarities? If somebody there is guilty of cheating it must be eradicated. Why has Mr King not spent money on the lights?. The club have made more than enough from cup runs to sort this out. I have been a regular at Gravesend since the late sixties. I have no memory of it happening here. The championship was not up for grabs last night. Neither side will win the remainder of their games. To my knowledge Gravesend as well as having nearly half a league season to go are also still involved in four-cup competitions. I expect Canvey are in a similar position

4) Minutes later the rest of the floodlights failed. The whole ground was in complete darkness for some time. Anybody who knows the cramped ground should realise just how dangerous this was. People could not escape the ground if they tried as the one open side was so packed any movement could have ended in personal injury. The bus stop stands only aggravated the problem whilst a fence behind has nail like protrusions all along its centre for the length of the ground. I witnessed one Canvey supporter tear his coat trying to leave the ground. The facilities were a disgrace to the Ryman league. Regardless of other posts I shall only believe Park Lane is fit for the conference if and when Canvey play in it. Matches of this size should not be played here. The ground is below the standard of most Kent League stadiums.

5) Two lights returned, two streakers appeared to give the crowd a laugh. Regardless of where they came from, and I believe it was Gravesend it was nothing for themselves or the Fleet supporters to be proud of.

6) The referee decided that the game should continue, quite rightly. Light was dim but all the pitch was viewable.

7) Mr King, Canvey manager complained bitterly about the decision. This was wrong and only added to the suspicion. When the players emerged the previously mild mannered Canvey team became a bunch of thugs. The Captain was sent off during the remaining minutes. Canvey supporters should condemn their team for thee un-sporting ugly minutes of mindless play.

8) Match ended Gravesend supporters went mad Canvey supporters went home. Result 0-2.

It sounds like an intereting evening! Congratulations Gravesend - you probably caught Canvey at a good time but it was an exceptional result.<p>What is the Canvey view on events?

was it possible to see both touchlines from the middle of the pitch? apparently thats all thats required in situations such as bad weather or floodlight faults. If the light was not that bad why was Mr King protesting? It smells a bit fishy to me. I haven't been to Park Lane this season, but if its like it was last year its **** poor. But as the Canvey fans will no doubt remind me its only the ground inspectors that have to satisfied.

I agree with Ian that the match should have been awarded to Gravesend, that would not have happend though. The match would have been replayed and probably have been won by Canvey. (Gravesend suffered a similar outcome a few years ago when leading 2-1 at then SL league leaders Sittingbourne. Mid wat through the second half the fog came in. When the game was replayed the Fleet lost 1-0 and lost a promotion place). I was standing with the Canvey supporters during the second half. There was just no way of getting through the crowds to the other end. They were delighted when the lights failed and were mostly thanking Mr King. The report on the Ryman net site does not read well for him or for CIFC.<p>What about the other bits<p>Why were people, not just a few, left outside?

Why did the floodlight fail?

Why did the food run out?

Why were there not more entrances available?

Why were people left stuck in cars?

Why did Canvey players become so violent after the restart?

etc etc<p>If this has happened before then quite simply Canvey should not be allowed to stage games as big as this again<p>On the plus side

Congrats to Canvey on producing a good playing surface and on having excellent sign-posting on route to the ground.

Ian there is a lot of difference between starting a match and completing one.<p>Everyone knows that you will finish a match in conditions that would have meant that the game would not have started. Fog is a prime example.<p>If the floodlights had failed before the match had started or maybe say twenty minutes into the match, then I doubt if the match would have finished, but with 15 minutes to go, and the conditions playable if not ideal, then I don't think the referee could have made any other decision than to have finished the match.<p>(Just imagine the uproar when 2,000 people find the match is abandoned and they aren't getting their money back shocked.gif" border="0 )

Well no replies here, the Canvey I website holds some of the answers. <p>Just wondered why all those people were directed into a car park that was full on top of ALL the other things. <p>Back on the plus side I should like to say thanks to both clubs for providing such a great night of entertainment.

Glad to still be alive

CarJam

It was actually possible to see the far touchline from the terracing, not well, but possible. <p>The referee moved his assistants for the final part of the game so that they were running the line in the "dark" half of the pitch and looking into the "light" half. This gave them a much better view than if they had stayed where they were. (It shows that someone was thinking)

Canvey have gone very quiet.<p>Sounds like a good evening if you were a Fleet Fan. I must say I think the ground at the Island is a hell hole. Perhaps Canvey should join with Chelmsford City in terms of a ground share. They're suppossed to be building a new stadium soon. <p>Might even gain a few supporters too.

But surely on a clear night, with a full moon, it would also be possible to see both touchlines.<p>One must question why it is a requirement to have better lighting installed for the conference, if games can be played in low light.<p>The problem with half lights is that you are kicking the ball into semi darkness, and it would take the human eye a few seconds to react to the difference.<p>Other sports would not play in anything but good lighting, so why should footballers, where one injury can ruin a career both in and out of football?<p>Personally, I would have preferred the game to have been stopped, and the points decided by the league, or just given to G & N.

Sounds like that match could well be re-arranged till later then. Could be a title decider for real if it's moved to March or April.<p>What's the Fleet tactic for abandoning the matches ( is it something to do with water - re Gazza comment above??)<p>I note that the flood lights have reportedly failed 3 times at Canvey this season ( report on NLOTN). Out of curiosity, is this true ? , and what was the outcome in those matches. I can't say I recall anything being said about this before and assume the failure was just pure bad luck against the Fleet. <p>Perhaps it was due to a largish crowd being present! wink.gif" border="0

i didn`t see the game tuesday but i`ve heard all about it, i`m sure if the ref abandons the game after a certain time [80 mins?] then that result stands. any refs out there who know the answer! well done to gravesend for giving us a kick up the backside and making the rest of the season very interesting

Thanks Ronin, its been very quite from A Canvey pont of view. Local newspapers here raised a few more questions.<p>Why were Kent journalists banned from the press box and axed to the freezing terraces without even a cup of tea at half time?<p>Why did the lights go off as soon as Francis Duke doubled the lead and Why did King spend the next five minutes strolling across the pitch grinning like a Cheshire cat.<p>Thats from the local paper as is <p>'Points speak louder than words'<p>Thats all the words neeeded now the points have been decided. Whatever did happen over there no longer matters. <p>Carjam