Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Dorking Wanderers to move to CCL/merge with Dorking

SMR

A couple of years ago Dorking kindly offered the use of their venue to stage a Memorial Trophy for our late Secretary Dave Wilson.

It runs on the format of four teams, two semi finals and a finals day with two matches.

On that year it was suggested that obviously Epsom and Dorking would be two of the teams with the holders at the time Molesey. I suggested that the team that should be approached to make up the four was Dorking Wanderers. Dorking refused, despite the obvious opportunity for a decent crowd which would have brought revenue over the bar for Dorking.

The point of my story is that whilst Dorking W might be interested in a more central move (which does beg the question about the money spent at Westhumble) the Dorking people themselves are extremely unlikely to even consider this, let alone discuss it with the Wanderers.

They appear completely against the idea of progress and the ground being shut was not a surprise. In fact, Meadowbank opening again this year would be a larger surprise.

However, that is still ten times more likely than the two clubs getting around a table.

"talks over any potential merger are at a very early stage, with conversations still to be had over the feasibility of any such move."

I think that's about right, put the idea out there and see if it's got legs.

Given where Dorking FC are playing our home games, perhaps we should claim the "Wanderers" title!

I'm not sure if a merger is achievable, but it makes sense on a lot of levels. I said a few years ago when Dorking FC were the senior side in Dorking that the town couldnt sustain three clubs.

Bookham have left senior football, Dorking FC are obviously struggling on and off the pitch and Wanderers may have reached their level playing out of town with no clubhouse.

Keep Westhumble for training, reserve u21 and youth games, play home games at an improved Meadowbank. 

Dorking Town FC, playing in Red and Green, "owned" by the town as community interest company. 

Make sure the people who have kept these two clubs going are properly  "looked after"

Yeah , I could go along with that...

Edited by thespursfan

I think too much talking with the papers might hinder things, and I very much doubt there will be any comments from DFC ltd getting quoted in the Dorking Ad.

Whilst I have no knowledge of any inter-club discussions I wouldnt write off the possibility of at least people discussing what a merger might look like.

E+E Rich, things change, our Youth side have played matches at Westhumble this year, many a bridge may have caught light in the past, but credit to DFC ltd, none were burned down.

I know nothing personally, of any talks between Dorking Wanderers and DFC at the present time.

There are many many problems over such a merger, - The main problem being that DFC is a LIMITED company, and as such, any decision would have to be ratified by the current owners of DFC.

The second, and most serious problem would be the amount of money that would have to be invested in Meadowbank to bring it up to a standard acceptable to Mole Valley District Council.  I have a very rough idea of the amount involved, and believe you me, it runs well over four figures. The option would then be for the merged team to play at Westhumble. I can't be sure if the Westhumble pitch would come up to CCL/F.A. grading standards.

PLEASE DON'T THINK I'M TRYING TO BE COUNTER PRODUCTIVE.

In principle, the idea is fantastic  -  In practice, it might not be quite so easy.

Maybe it's time for Marc White, the Collins family and the present back-room staff of DFC to sit down and talk,

I'M READY !

For me a merged club at west humble would mean DFC had folded

Wouldn't help either club

The costs of maintaining meadowbank could possibly be met by better utilisation of the clubhouse and reduced costs in repair because of wanderers connections

Look what they have achieved at west humble

Plenty of problems in a possible merger of course not least financial valuations

It will be interesting to see if the article draws out any of the potential investors/sponsors in town

I do know of one major company in Dorking that has expressed an interest in the past but I don't know if it came to anything.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more today, on back page of Dorking Ad.

Not very promising though !

Here's the story. http://www.dorkingandleatherheadadvertiser.co.uk/Chicks-enter-talks-merger/story-20418005-detail/story.html

Is there a reason why RC appears unwilling / unable to sit down & discuss with MW? Holiday / Illness / Pride?

Have to feel for the loyal followers of Dorking FC - BJR / TRS / TSF plus the current management - they must surely want a resolution soon?

My personal opinion isnt that RC is "unwilling/unable" to talk with DWfc officially, but that merger talks aren't the priority right now.

Everyones time is limited, and the time RC has to spend on Dorking FC may be better spent getting games on and looking for solutions to the ground closure.

I don't agree with the "dignified silence" approach myself, but I can see why there aren't comments from DFC Ltd in the press or on here.

Thanks for your sympathy GF, I think what the footballing people of Dorking and surrounds want is a long term solution and to keep football at Meadowbank, in the town centre.

Very good reply, Jeff.

My sentiments exactly, but a little more internal communication would certainly help the situation a lot..