Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Dorking Wanderers to move to CCL/merge with Dorking

SMR

I personally think that Meadowbank is the best ground in the CCL. The location is fantastic and one where a very warm and genuine welcome is always on offer. A proper football ground that would not be out of place higher up the pyramid unlike some that I could mention.

I agree that Meadowbank is in a nice location, has wonderful views and that you always get a warm welcome there.

However ...........

Meadowbank is a lovely ground, nice setting, four proper sides and had hosted Southern League football in the 70's in the illfated Guildford & Dorking days. It's got some great boozers nearby too, a benefit of a town centre ground. Sadly too many town centre grounds fall victim to their great locations.

I just hope it all gets sorted out and Meadowbank gets the TLC it seriously needs to remain a football ground.

Football will be a much poorer place if it ever goes under the bulldozer.

If by "PROPER" football ground you mean decaying and decrepit then I would agree.

I love old grounds, but Meadowbank is virtually unchanged from my first visit in the early eighties with exception of a bit of cover at the far end and the removal of the cinema seats in the stand, the only other change was forced on the club when the clubhouse burnt down. The lack of change is rarely a good thing.

I would also dispute the "best ground in the CCL" statement. Wembley has a similar history and character and has been tidied up nicely in recent years. Of course Budweiser had a bit to do with that, but Dorking is a big place and I'm sure that someone could have got involved if the message wasn't loud and clear that the owners aren't interested in talking to anyone. Also Windsor have a traditional ground that is nicer and more welcoming, and while Dorking's ground carries the same potential as both of these, it is being wasted. Is it any wonder that the Wanderers have been able to gain a foothold in this area and are now the senior club in the town?

I have my own personal example of dealing with the owners. I used to run a successful pool league out of the club. We had an arrangement with the guy who had the clubhouse franchise at the time where we put the money into the tables but got about £15 a week back by way of sponsorship. Bearing in mind we put approx. £44 a week into the tables (2 matches on 4 tables) plus any money earned from drinks, which were a reasonable amount with twenty plus in the venue every Wednesday it made a lot of sense for him and for us we got a little back to boost the prize funds. We did this for six years, and when that guy left, we spoke to the owners about the deal and they said they'd continue it, only to renege on the deal at the end of the season. We left and they lost around £120 of revenue per week as a result. Clearly counting the money was too much like hard work for them.  

If the owners aren't interested, they should publicly put the club up for sale. If they don't, then you have to blame them entirely for the lack of progress made by the club since their Plymouth Cup match in the early 90s i.e. none. Are they just holding out for some sort of sale to a supermarket still as was likely to happen back in the nineties? With the new Waitrose already being built up the road, that looks unlikely.

The only thing saving Meadowbank from becoming the next housing development is the river that runs next to it. Why the owners seem intent on letting the club go down the river is beyond me.

As an Epsom supporter, I can tell anyone that they do NOT want to lose their ground. Look after it, as it is a jewel in the town centre. One that needs polishing without doubt, but a jewel none the less.

The pool league may have been a success, but running the clubhouse as a pool hall wasnt great.

I expect it could have been handled better so you didnt feel like you'd been cheated Rich but getting rid of the pool was sensible.

Not replacing the revenue may not have beenn so sensible.

It is very frustrating for everyone to see a potentially wonderful non league ground sitting unused, and it's also been  embarrasing at times with our facilities.  Some people dont like looking at the stars when they get changed!

My understanding is the club want to fix things properly, as with the goal issues.

Thankfully the league and clubs have been understanding to allow the team to continue playing.

I cant help thinking our game at Eversley tomorrow might be abit of an eye opener on how things can be done with co-operation.

Well said everyone above.

As people know well, having been retired from work for some yeras now, I get to sample a few amber nectars at ;uinchtime in my local after shopping.

Its becoming embarrassing to have people I know well coming up to me and asking questions abouy what is happening at Meadowbank.

Many many thanks to Eversley for their generosity tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

Its such a shame as you all say a proper little football ground its just a shame a certain chairman never lets anybody help. Its been going down hill since the Plymouth game! So many things wrong now. Think it would be great for Dorkng Wanders to move in and do the place up again to its former glory.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a Committee at Dorking FC,or is it just the Ray Collins show.By his failure to be contacted or meet with people he is seriously letting loyal hard working nice people who have supported the Club over the years down.A ground can soon go into dereliction,and a small problem soon becomes insurmountable.Maybe it is to late!!! I HOPE NOT

Edited by Smudge

I understand from eldest daughter and eldest G/Daughter that Dorking Ladies are looking at a new venue for next season. I believe they will retain the Dorking Ladies name, however.

Further than that, I cannot comment as I do not have any other information.

Edited by Big J R

Something needs to be done rapidly as far as DFC plc., is concerned. Time is running out fast !!

Is this not what people were trying to avoid happening 4/5 years ago and no one would listen.

What is happening at Dorking is not good and should not be happening.

At first hand I know it is hard to run a football with a committee and is only harder if you don't have one or let people get involved.

Hope this all gets sorted out for next season and good luck to them.