Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Former Player Watch

Rick is indeed at Sutton United where Jamie Lawrence is also there as Player/Assistant Coach. I think that Salisbury were caught up with a cowboy owner and bitter in-fighting, and whilst I sympathise with the Club, and their players and fans, I also think that the Conference had no choice. My last understanding that after being turned down by the Sydenhams Wessex League, whose clubs voted against their admission, Salisbury have a season with no league to play in, probably no players or staff (unless Mr Claridge is still hovering in the background), and a very uncertain future.

Unless anyone knows otherwise!

• 2 weeks later...

We may be welcoming Scott Todd once or twice more this season if he plays against us for Hanworth Villa, who he has joined from Guildford City.

I wonder how many clubs our former favourite has played for in his career, and his winner at Brackley Town in the last game in our promotion season in the Southern League days, was perhaps his most important goal for us.

Edited by Keith B

After a very brief stay, Jamie Lawrence is one of two from Sutton United's coaching staff who have been released, with a suggestion that their exit from the FA Cup when they lost at home to Burgess Hill Town (1-3) has left them a bit top heavy and needing to 'cut their cloth'.

Rick Wellard, who has played in two thirds of their games this season, but was not in the squad on Saturday's league win at Farnborough, is still there and must be wondering whether the Salisbury City experience, is following him around the leagues.

It is especially worrying when cost pressures are being felt so early in the season for a club with reasonable support, but a sign of the times, maybe.

Keith, Bones had a thigh injury which ruled him out I think. Talking of former players I'm sure it was Richard Butler having his hair cut in my barbers in Egham the other day. Didn't want to approach him in case he fell to the floor dramatically appealing for a foul :mellow:  

Richard Butler has barely played for H&RB this season, and hasn't featured in the squad for the last four or five games, leaving him more time to visit his Egham hair technician.

Another ex- Ashford player still at H&RB - Billy Jeffries has apparently been talking to Slough with a view to join them on a one-month loan to give him more match fitness, according to his manager Paul Dowson. Sounds a bit odd to me given the last time I heard, he was team captain at R&B and on the score sheet a couple of times with good reviews. Mind you, last time I saw him play against Grays earlier in the season  he did score an o.g., albeit very unlucky to do so.

He was a very good player with us and his Dad (Gary) served on the Club's Committee until Billy moved on.

Edited by Keith B

Dan - who knows? Just don't come back over here calling the beautiful game "Soccer" and using words like "awesome" :P

Absolutely fascinating! :o

Edited by Keith B

• 3 months later...

Playing back in league one "It's Byron Harrison Chesterfield's number 18" :applause:

• 4 weeks later...

Rinor Sopjani, who once scored 7 goals for us against Kentish Town FC in a Reserve match is now apparently the "Face of Albanian TV" and if I'm understanding it rightly he was recently singing on the Albanian version of "The Voice" and one person turned round for him.  You can find the clip on You Tube.

Talking of Kentish Town, I wonder what happened to that signing we made after Dan Brown left? There was a fanfare about some wonderful striker we'd signed from Kentish Town and I'm not sure he ever made it to our ground, even for a training session. 

• 3 weeks later...

Was at Bedfont Sports 0 Horley 4 last night and a half time sub for Bedfont was a certain Danny Byron. Sprayed a couple of 30 yard passes to team mates but couldn't prevent a heavy defeat. Think he's wasted there and would be better off with a better team

Bedfont Sports are going through a sticky patch at the moment maybe but they have some good players, and an excellent manager in Mick Snowden.  Danny has been there for two seasons now along with other players who have previously appeared for Ashford.

• 2 months later...

Rick's talent has been unexploited, in my view, by his recent Clubs. Maybe one day, he'll come home where he is truly appreciated (but he'll have to fight Liam over the tractor!).

Although this thread is headed 'Former Player Watch', let us congratulate Adam Bessent on his appointment as Staines Lammas manager.

Adam was a fine coach for Ashford Youth and his family were a wonderful presence at the Club at every level, especially the late Tracey Bessent and the 'shy' Paul.

Good luck and God bless them all.