Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Desperate Southend Board

Phil Old Boy

As the first Canvey game draws closer, Southend sack Wignall in a desperate attempt to avoid total disaster by losing to local rivals Canvey.

A draw bides them time but rather waiting to see how Dave Webb gets on for another month or two, they are concerned that the unthinkable may happen.

Co-incidentally, two days before the replay, suddenly a deal with Collymore is in the offing. Will this give them that boost they need before the match and what capacity will Collymore be involved in at this stage.

All the actions and timing from Wignall’s sacking just before the first Canvey game, the two week caretaker role of Webb, to the possible involvement of Collymore just admits total desperation by the Southend Board that they might get beaten by Canvey Island. Now the event is live on telly, it only adds for total embarrassment to be complete. I cannot think of a time that Southend would have been lower if they lose to Canvey and are in the relegation zone for the conference.

With or without Collymore, let’s have a go at them boys. An early goal for us would be interesting to see how they react and what they are made of and we have shown what character we have by coming back.

Well it doesnt matter if they poach Sir Alex Ferguson they still have the same group of players they had 2 weeks ago. They are second from bottom because of the players not the manager.

What worries me is everyone expects us to beat them now even the bookies(cant remember a time when the favourites are 2 Divisions below the other team!!) even the Southend fans have given up. If we treat it like its another League game we will win.

southend are full time pros, sure we looked good at the hall but we didnt dominate in any way.. they may be having a shocker but i bet they can dig out a great performance on any given day, its consistancy they dont have.. hopefully this time we can find the net first, then we will know if they fancy it..

im hoping for a sporting treble this week of beating southend, england doing the ozzies and us getting a draw at least at hornchurch.. that will do me very nicely

Bang on Canv the biggest boost for sarfend is the motivation of their players to hang on to their jobs with the outgoing manager being replaced by who knows?

But that can work against them if after 25-30 minutes they have made little or no progress

Ill back the islanders 2-1 winners in the final 15 minutes

Southend will undoubtedly announce their new manager tomorrow: their official site says talks with their new manager "continued today" - in other words, they could have announced it today, but have chosen not to. So my guess is they will announce it tomorrow, thus putting pressure on their players to get the new boss off to a good start against a local non-league side who they ought to play off the park (but have failed to beat in two games this season). Southend ought to win, but that won't help their league position (or their suspensions if the ref carries on where he left off last time). I think Southend would be better advised to get tomorrow's game out of the way, then get the new manager in. But hey if they want to pile pressure on their struggling squad, why should I worry ?!