Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ched Evans

Rhodes

What are members views on a player returning to football following a serious criminal conviction such as Sheffield United's Ched Evans for rape. We had a similar debate a while back didn't we following Plymouth Argyle's goalkeeper return to the game following a prison term and who's name I can't even bring myself to mention:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2796174/ched-evans-paid-20-000-week-sheffield-united-convicted-rape-blades-honoured-contract.html

I see that, unsurprisingly, it's all kicking off at Bramall Lane following Ched Evans release from prison yesterday, Club Community Foundation patron and tv presenter Charlie Webster has said she will quit her role with the South Yorkshire outfit if they re-sign the convicted rapist, lets hope common sense prevails and Nigel Clough will steer well clear:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/18/charlie-webster-quit-sheffield-united-ched-evans-return

I have to say I totally agree with you, Rhodsey !

Not often you see that in print !

No doubt Loosely will say Sheffield United should welcome Evans back to Bramall Lane with open arms, like he did with Luke McCormick at Plymouth

The principle that he has served his sentence and deserves a second chance is a valid one, although for crimes such as rape the slate can never be wiped clean. If my club signed a convicted rapist I would never watch them again, ever, because IMO it would demonstrate a complete lack of social integrity, and an insult to all females everywhere.

No doubt Loosely will say Sheffield United should welcome Evans back to Bramall Lane with open arms, like he did with Luke McCormick at Plymouth

Interesting that Rhodesly can't stand it when I participate in a discussion he's started, and yet goes looking for a response. Even more interesting that he says he can't bring himself to name the previous offender discussed and then like the hypocrite he is, does! Anyway, more about hypocrites later.

In this country we leave our courts to punish offenders, we don't take it upon ourselves. If he's done his time, then he's paid the price and if the club were to want him back then I'd say that's up to them, excepting that neither the victim or family and friends are fans of the club. Then I'd say that the club are letting down their fans and that'd be hypocritical wouldn't it?

You all need to examine your double standards, if a guy trains in a trade then you don't expect him to try and change trades following taking his punishment, Or do you? Well, where do the double standards come in? We all know there's more that have got away with it and still played in the game and even if you don't how hypocritical is it for football and it's fans to allow a guy who has been victimised to be dropped from the England Team while the perpetrator is kept on. Twice!Football fans don't have the moral compass to make these judgements. If Evans had lumped a bloke on the pitch then I'd say ban him for life, he can't be trusted but what are you afraid of? He's not raped someone on the pitch and he's not likely to. I'd be hypocritical to change my stance from the last time we discussed a similar issue and we all know that it's another poster on here that's been proved a hypocrite time over time.

Bunch of wan kers!

He has paid is debt to society and therefore should be free to work for any company or club.

If someone wishes to quit and throw their toys out of the pram then let them. They clearly have a lack of dedication to the club.

He is now a free man.

He may, or may not, have paid his debt to society, but certainly not to the victim whose whole life could now be ruined by the actions of the rapist. If any club wishes to employ him that's their decision and should be respected, and likewise if supporters choose to boycott their club because they fundamentally disagree with the decision I fail to see how that could be construed as a lack of dedication.

Out of curiosity how would other forum users feel if the club they supported employed someone that  had raped a female  they was close to?

Edited by missunderstood

He may, or may not, have paid his debt to society, but certainly not to the victim whose whole life could now be ruined by the actions of the rapist

Thank you, that's what Lossely can't seem to understand

The victim has no standing in court, that's what some people find so hard to understand. Even victim statements are pointless.

Honestly, Rhodesly, it's just too easy to get to you. I wonder whether my work is done here. It's getting a bit boring tbh.

About fifty years ago a friends 15 year old sister was drugged and then raped. The rapist was convicted and received a derisory 18 month sentence. The victim was a sparkly teenager that become a recluse, never married or had kids, and  has spent the last thirty odd years in an institution. Two and a half years for possibly ruining someones life is far to lenient IMO.

Well then Alan, your beef is with the Courts, the Judges, the CPS. Once you decide to start punishing people outside of that it is the slippery road to vigilantism and of course you are already promoting a softcore version of that now. Taking punishments into your own hands. Do you honestly believe that there are no ex-offenders working for any of the major and minor supermarkets? WH Smith? Woolies? Every walk of life? Have you boycotted all of those establishments?

Loosely - You haven't learnt a thing from the banter on the Luke McCormick thread, if anything McCormick's case was far worse as he murdered two young boys who had their whole lives in front of them and left their Father in a wheel chair yet he is currently playing in goal for Plymouth Argyle.

Now, as reported by major news sources and media the inverstigation into Evans' rape conviction has been fast tracked. It could just be that the police and CPS didn't do a deliberately thorough job and his own defence team have uncovered evidence of possible shenanigans. Wait and see job.

Why does every topic reply have to be related to Loose?

give it a break, please!

Ian - Loosely has got you in his pocket hasn't he

Ian - Loosely has got you in his pocket hasn't he

No - I am fed up with keep reading I bet loosely will say this, or loosely will say that.

You can make a perfectly valid contribution without making every post about him.

Simples!

Bet you it will be overturned,there's new evidence and Evans continued denial of rape to me for a player desperate to get back in the game,suggests he knows he has been stitched up.

Had he done it,and wanted to play football,I believe he would be very apologetic etc but he is adamant that he will clear his name and I believe he will.

Football players are on the whole,stupid overpaid primadonnas and are surrounded by money grabbers on a night out.

This girl sounds like one but obviously doesn't deserve to be raped,but something about this case don't sit right and I think it may come out that it wasn't actually rape.

It's a grey area this sort of thing,and could easily been avoided by both parties.

Don't get me wrong,if he has raped her then his conviction is deserved but young girls get themselves in these stupid positions all too often due to being star struck,drunk or on drugs,most get away with it as they are just used for sex and consent but the fact is that you remove your chances of being raped if you simply don't act like a cheap piece of meat in the first place by going up to someone's hotel room who you don't know.

And Evans won't be inviting birds up to his room Any time in the future either.

By no means think that I am condoning rape,I am not and if her events are completely true then he's a scumbag but the best way of stopping rape is preventing yourself from being in that position in the first place,not putting yourself in the firing line

Edited by Eastside Urchin

Nice attempt at a swerve. As I said, you're cooked. Job done.

Loosely - Just one question if i may, what if you had a teenage daughter who you cherished and she went out one night only to be unceremoniously raped by Ched Evans, what would your reaction be out of interest