Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Hendon

littlehampton

Another mouth-watering local derby in prospect at the QEII Stadium this afternoon against our old friends and rivals Hendon, weather permitting. Much is going to depend on the state of the pitch, after all the rain we have had recently. There is a pitch inspection scheduled for 10.30am this morning, but there is a fair chance of the match going ahead after all the hard work put in by groundsman Jack Lucas and helpers. Fingers crossed!

Earlier in the season we beat Hendon 3-0 away in the league, but a month ago they came and beat us 1-0 in the League Cup. So honours even so far this season, and all to play for this afternoon.

Hendon are a very good side and are having a great season. Town will be very keen to win this encounter, and build on their impressive win at Ashford Town in the week. This is expected to be another close, very competitive match, but with home advantage and new players making their home debut, there is a good chance Town will deliver the right result and send Towners home happy.

Very best of luck to Brad and the boys. Let's hope it's game on!

'COME ON THE TOWN'

Full Time: Enfield Town 1-0 Hendon

All over and a great result for the Town. There are no easy games against Hendon and this win means we have done the double over them this season, and they have failed to score against us in the two League matches.

Will be interesting to hear what peoples thoughts are on the match and result.

Congratulations and well done to Brad and the boys.

Very impressed with today's performance, both in terms of work rate and quality - so nice to bounce back after some indifferent results of late. Hendon are obviously a decent side, but I don't think they really adapted to our wing backs and midfield three. All 11 players deserve a lot of credit, although particularly the back three, and Campbell in midfield who showed a lot of discipline and put in a great shift. Mugou was excellent as ever, and the two new boys look like very useful additions to the side. Whiteley was a real handful all game, and I'm chuffed for Hope, who hasn't had a lot of match time lately, but took his goal well, and led the line effectively.

I can't help but feel that we all got a bit carried away after the six wins on the spin. We're not a bad side at all, and we're definitely an improving side, but we are going to have bad runs from time to time. Looking at the bigger picture, we won 7 out of the 12 games before this game, which is decent enough. Obviously losing 5 out of 6 was bad, but it happens - only the Billericay game was a shocker, and that was more akin playing rugby on a beach in a hurricane than football! Also, I think that we're maybe better suited to playing sides that come at us, and since our rapid rise up the table, a lot of teams are showing us more respect, and are sitting back happy to take a point or nick a goal.

All in all, positive about the way things are going - Brad has impressed me greatly since taking over and although it's a medium to long-term project to make us regluar play off contenders (in my view), we're definitely moving in the right direction.

What an excellent result against another play off chasing side and it was thoroughly deserved. I was impressed with both the new signings and McDonald didn't really have a save to make. Hendon's threat is through their forwards and our back 3 dealt with them excellently. Stan was excellent again with support from Campbell and the front two of Hope and Whitely combined excellently to cause Hendon problems all afternoon. Liam showed what an excellent goalscorer he is at just the right time.

Well done to our groundstaff for getting the game on also!

As mentioned above the whole team/squad were excellent today. Lots of very good performances all over the pitch, so it's very difficult to single out anyone: but I will...

From front to back...

Corey was superb, chasing down lost causes up front. He set up the goal superbly. Hate to say it from an ETFC point of view but someone higher up the food chain will take a chance on him. 

Tyler in the first half ran them ragged along with Corey, faded a bit second. Liam Hope, what can you say, as composed as ever when the one meaningful chance comes his way. Well done all three of you.

Midfield, Stan showed some Brazilian touches down the right wing in the second half. I hope the cold end was there filming that. Aryan Tajbakhsh in the middle with Stan was immense, and was close to being the best player on the park but for fading a bit towards the end. Those two worked their bollox off all game.

Smyth and Stevens played wide and were tireless and diligent down the line. Both excellent.

At the back it was a three of Hastings, Vilcu and Kirby. Again, those three were all excellent, giving MacDonald virtually nothing to do all game. The only thing I can think of that Nathan had to do in the second half was slide out for a ball in stoppage time.

MOTM for me was Claudio Vilcu. He strolled through the game. Quite simply far too good for this level (aided by Hastings to the right and Kirby to the left). We would be in the play-offs now if we had had him since August. Easy to see why a Conference Premier side were ready to sign him last season.

But well done to the whole squad today. Great to see those not being used staying to watch their team mates.

Let's see where this team end up come April. I'm guessing it won't be needing a point to avoid relegation, hopefully a point to get in the play-offs?

Keep it going boys, a superb performance today by everyone.

• 3 months later...

Archived