Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

MARGATE - THE GAME IS ON

Dagger03

Pathetic really ..

How can a pitch be classified as OK at 9:30am in the morning then after 4 hours of sunshine and strong drying winds be deemed unfit for play.  If there was any doubt they should have postponed at 9:30 and stopped the players and supporters losing hard earned money and time on a wasted journey.  Margate may be in a position to throw money away but I doubt we as a club are. 

Tin pot club!

Disagree -  they should be working with the officials to work out what's in the best interests of their club and the opposition.  If their groundsman thinks the pitch us unplayable at 9:30am then they should be arguing that case not putting out half arsed messages on Twitter asking folk to come down with a fork !!

Was a second (midday) inspection beyond them?  Lots more could have been done that would have avoided a lot of unnecessary wasted time and money.

Edited by andydick

This is where a decision should be made before people travel. I doubt we would be complaining if it was Billericay or East Thurrock but Margate is hardly round the corner.

I remember only once we had a home game called off when it looked like it would be on, against Heybridge Swifts, and they only had half the distance to travel to and from.

This is where a decision should be made before people travel. I doubt we would be complaining if it was Billericay or East Thurrock but Margate is hardly round the corner.

I remember only once we had a home game called off when it looked like it would be on, against Heybridge Swifts, and they only had half the distance to travel to and from.

Well you are lucky as we have been to Lowestoft, Leiston and Bury to have them called off when we have got there.

If the game had been called off today at, say, 10am, people would have just said "but there was no more rain...why couldn't they have waited and tried to get the game on?"

Well you are lucky as we have been to Lowestoft, Leiston and Bury to have them called off when we have got there.

I really don't give a rat's arse where you've ended up - that's not my issue.  I can only assume Lowestoft's, Leiston's and Bury's organisation is as hopeless as yours.  Nothing to be proud of !

If the game had been called off today at, say, 10am, people would have just said "but there was no more rain...why couldn't they have waited and tried to get the game on?"

That really depends.  If the journey was a few miles then most would be prepared to wait until much later.  But when making a 150 mile round trip the decision needs to be made as soon as possible and supporters would accept that decision (a postponement) given the distances involved.

Edited by andydick

It is simply not Margates fault if a referee says at 9am the match is fine and another referee says at 2.30pm it's not.

Yes it's an inconvenience for the club and those who travelled big also for the hundreds of Margate fans etc who would of decided to spend their saturday watching is destroy them lol

To blame Margate when the officials have made the two important decisions is stupid imo

For me,every game deserves as much chance to be played as possible but sometimes that simply isn't enough,gutting for those that travelled but get over it

Edited by Eastside Urchin

Lets me honest here, it's both their faults.

i feel that there shouldve been more communication between the refs / officals and with Margate the club itself in regards to the state of the pitch it was in at 0930 this morning before Hornhurch even left or travelled the whole way.

Its Hornchurch that will lose out at the end of the day and come off far worse. For example the cost of the coach, players wages, supporters own money.

Is Margate going to reemburse all this, not likely!!

I really don't get this anti Margate stuff.

What more could Margate of done,a local referee goes there and passes the pitch fit,5 hours later after what I believe was no more rain and plenty of fans improving the pitch the match referee decides it's not playable.....so why on earth is it Margates fault???

If a referee deems the pitch playable then Margate are hardly going to tell us to "come along if you want" or "the games in doubt"

It happens,some had a wasted journey,gutted for you,it's not nice.

I was going but decided at 8am Saturday morning not to take a chance as I had to give work away to go but had to make the call then,had I travelled down,would I be dissapointed??? Yes but not with Margate who I believe did everything to get the game on,why would they want a fixture pile up????

Seems to me we are creating enemies for the Fckng sake of it,the one club we actually get on with and we are digging them out because of the weather.....lets alienate everyone around even further as we've got hundreds of fabs queuing up to get into our turnstiles week in week out

Not really for me to comment as I didn't go yesterday but I would assume that the match referee would have been aware of the distance involved for the away fans to travel and should have made a decision quicker so that Margate could have given us the heads up.