Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Are CCL Clubs missing the boat ?

Smudge

After the not to bad weather on Saturday,when only a few CCL games were played,should Clubs look to the future,and seriously think about 3g pitches.Whyteleafe used to have a mediocre grass pitch,which meant many games were cancelled due to waterlogging etc.With many CCL Clubs suffering the same problem,this means no revenue at all.On the other hand Whyteleafe had 6 games played over the weekend,meaning a busy Clubhouse,and plenty of support for their junior sides,that could be fans of the future.

100% agree Smudge. I think we would see a better standard of football as well during the winter months.

Are the 3g facilities at Cove not available to you Millers?

The one at Frimley Lodge must be finished plus Camberley FC's application is being discussed in Committee next Monday, so all being well this area will be well served with 3g pitches

After the not to bad weather on Saturday,when only a few CCL games were played,should Clubs look to the future,and seriously think about 3g pitches.Whyteleafe used to have a mediocre grass pitch,which meant many games were cancelled due to waterlogging etc.With many CCL Clubs suffering the same problem,this means no revenue at all.On the other hand Whyteleafe had 6 games played over the weekend,meaning a busy Clubhouse,and plenty of support for their junior sides,that could be fans of the future.

I prefer grass pitches but for Non - League Football clubs 3g pitches are the way forward as our weather is only going to get more extreme as the years go by and the refs get even more fussy ;)

Starting the season a week or two earlier could help also playing some of the County/League cups in pre - season may also help but its been talked about before loads of times its up to the big wigs.

The problem with attempting any kind of debate on the topic is that people tend to have strong opinions and see no reason to change them. I dislike the tippy tap that synthetic pitches serves up with a passion, whilst others will refuse to accept any criticism of them whatsoever.

I watched a game on an artificial surface on Sunday. It wasn't real football to me, but I saw a game instead of not doing so. Hopefully. should another debate ensue, it can be done without name calling, and remembering that just because someone disagrees with your point of view, they are as entitled to their point of view as you are.

Edited by thevoiceofreason

I play on a 3g at Cove every week and can promise you it is not tippy tappy,i for one can't believe anyone would argue against them,perfect bounce,never have to worry if the game is gonna be on,fallen over quite a few times and have minor abrasions (real men don't really notice) which are feck all really.As i have said before we will leave an old pitch for all the old school to play on and we will all have 3G pitches,it will be like an old dinosaur and all the kids will laugh when they see the old guys running in mud with their long studded boots and the ref calls the game off at half time cos you can't see the lines for mud lol  :giveup:    

Only for training GF as it is approx 1/3 of the normal size. It is excellent though and being able to train all year has proved massively beneficial.

I now only really play 5 a side on 3/4g and if I was restricted to playing on concrete, a floodlight grass patch or sand astro I probably wouldn't bother (I was always a primadona anyway). As duncs said playing and not having to worry about a bad bounce, a huge divert or puddle makes a huge difference to my personal enjoyment factor. I'm all for rolling up your sleeves and having a battle (and anyone who has seen Cove this year might agree there is a fair element of that on show) but in terms of kids development there can only be one winner - I watched a kids game the other Sunday and couldn't help but think, what real skill is a kid learning when having to dig a ball out of a mud bath of a pitch (one that is also shared as a dog toilet).

I was at a club where the chairman paid 8-12k at the end if every season to get the pitch right for the next season

Played only 2 pre season friendlies on it had to train away from the ground no revenue for the club on training nights for the whole season and not much revenue pre season

You then get cancellations on a sat against big opponents and the crowd for the rearranged fixture on a weeknight was usually half

The amount of work done on the pitch during the season was 3-5k and only the first team and fa youth cup matches were allowed on it

Other teams had to play elsewhere loosing potential revenue streams

We did not rent the pitch out for fear of ruining it

A 3/4G changes all of the above and is a revenue generator

I love a perfect grass pitch (who doesn't) but there ain't a lot of difference and unless you are a pro club with all the revenue streams that goes along with that status then 3/4G is the way forward

Only my opinion

The problem with attempting any kind of debate on the topic is that people tend to have strong opinions and see no reason to change them. I dislike the tippy tap that synthetic pitches serves up with a passion, whilst others will refuse to accept any criticism of them whatsoever.

I watched a game on an artificial surface on Sunday. It wasn't real football to me, but I saw a game instead of not doing so. Hopefully. should another debate ensue, it can be done without name calling, and remembering that just because someone disagrees with your point of view, they are as entitled to their point of view as you are.

Indeed and goes for both sides.

I wonder if this amazing 3G/4G pitch can handle the snow and sub zero conditions we've had recently?? 

Not sure it can with snow however fairly certain it can deal with frost.

How did Whyteleafe raise the funds, Smudge? 

Not really sure Trevor,but it did happen after the Chairman bought out the Members,as it used to be a Members Club. A money spinner for sure in my opinion,already been used by Brighton and Hove Albion as a base for scouting games,an Academy,Surrey FA.

But the important part to me is that Whyteleafes Junior Clubs play on  it,sometimes 3 games on a Sunday,which rarely happened when the grass was in place.Young Children/Youths are the future if any Club wants to progress,and if run rightly can increase a Clubs revenue stream no end,plus the added advantage of increased gates.

Im quite sure we've exhausted this topic on many previous occasions.

Opinions are divided on who prefers what surface.

But we are all agreed getting the funding for every single non league club is never ever going to happen. So who are the lucky ones that should get the grants from the council??

And what happens when the surface needs relaying in 10 years time but the council wont fund it again and the football club havent saved up the funds to do it?? Its not like it can just be turned back into grass is it??

It just wont happen fellas!

In my opinion,  spend any available money on good drainage, get pitches up to a good standard, try and keep them there.

...and you can have the best pitch in the world, but if the safety bod with the clipboard thinks areas of the ground are unsafe because of ice/snow, that won't matter.

Mr.Negative,when was the last time you saw a Safety Bod at a CCL game? With the amount of supporters attending most games,it would not be a massive task to clear an area to the 100 SEATER Stands that are required at this level surely.

But we are all agreed getting the funding for every single non league club is never ever going to happen. So who are the lucky ones that should get the grants from the council??

Dorking hopefully in 18 months time! Be quite ironic one day when all CCL games are off due to the weather, except at Meadowbank :)