Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Step 6

lazarus

You might like to know that the Football Association has now decided that clubs playing at Step 6 (Division One) will not now be relegated at the end of the season but that instead the whole matter will be reviewed in three season's time.  The three mostly at risk in the CCL were, of course, Farleigh Rovers, Sheerwater and Worcester Park.

One interesting part of their statement was that the decision was partly influenced by the fact that there are no less than 13 Step 6 leagues/divisions that have clubs that do not meet the grading.

i'll add that I feel sorry for those who put the effort and expense in to get the grading to maintain their status only to be kicked between the legs by the FA, however they will be in a better position should promotion be a possibility.

Great News,however this being the case,a new League rule should be imposed,regarding promotion from Step 6.It was mentioned  if when Step 4 Reserve teams,may be introduced to keep numbers up,that they would not block Teams from promotion,that have Step 5 facilities,this should be the case,in respect of teams currently in the CCL Div 1,who do not have the grading.Will the FA allow teams at Step 7 with decent grounds similar to the 3 above mentioned clubs,but no lights to join the CCL?

Ooh reserve teams in proper competitive leagues whose presence might block the progress of real teams...some people might well have opinions on that. ( For what it's worth, I don't think there's a place for it at this level. Mind you, having spent a few years watching football in Germany, few topics were as guaranteed to spark a lively debate than the presence of teams' under 23 sides in the third tier of football there.)

Will the FA allow teams at Step 7 with decent grounds similar to the 3 above mentioned clubs,but no lights to join the CCL?

They already do. At the moment clubs can get promoted from step 7 without lights but they must have planning permission etc. and the lights have to be up by September 30th to avoid a league fine (at the league's discretion). If the lights still aren't up by March 31st following promotion then the team is to be relegated again.

I haven't seen the full email from the FA but part of it was posted on NLM. It says:

· Clubs that fail to meet the required grading requirements as at 31 March 2015 will retain their position at Step 6 going forward.

· Leagues with failed clubs must pass a resolution at their next and subsequent AGMs confirming the agreement of their member clubs to accept clubs without the appropriate grading into the constitution.

· Clubs without floodlights must achieve the other Step 6 requirements by 31 March 2016.

· When a league achieves full membership (number to be agreed) clubs that fail to meet the required grading criteria will then become subject to relegation.

· The criteria for promotion from Step 7 to Step 6 remains as at present.

· That clubs without the appropriate Step 6 grading will not be permitted to enter FA competitions.

· That clubs without the appropriate Step 6 grading will not be permitted to gain promotion to Step 5.

· That clubs without the appropriate Step 6 grading will not be permitted to seek a lateral Step 6 movement to another competition.

Members also agreed that this situation will be monitored and be subject to review in 3 years- time (March 2018).

Yes, sensible decision, although the FA said about 5 years ago that it would be happening, so it does seem harsh on those who have done the work when they needn't have bothered.

However, haven't we just pushed the problem back three years, as there's no way Farleigh in particular and almost certainly Worcester Park will have lights by then?

New login but not first post, this is an area that our club has been actively interested and involved in for the last 6/7 years having developed our own ground from Step 7 to 5 within that time.

This certainly is great news for all, whilst it may appear that those clubs similar to ourselves who have spent considerable amounts on ground improvements didn't need to as somebody said in a previous post these clubs will be more prepared for any kind of step up in the future.

If the FA get this right & I believe they will in time they should completely overhaul requirements at both Step 6 and Step 7, it is clear that these steps are not only losing clubs galore across the system but also the enthusiasm of hard working football people whom face uphill tasks in most scenarios when planning restrictions, money or both create almost impossible progression.

My opinion is that the grading requirements at Steps 6 & 7 should largely be built around areas that the clubs can generally control and with items that won't break the bank. General planning consents should be considered massively in the FA documents, there are many items that would NOT require planning consent in most cases that could be requested by the FA within the grading requirements where-by the objective of having a 'better' more 'professional' set up could still be achieved.

Enclosing the ground (even if just for match days)

Pitch side barriers

Programmes

Hot and cold refreshments.

These are obviously just a few things.

Lowering the entry level at 7 into 6 with well considered new grading requirements would create a new enthusiasm for so many clubs at that level and best of all promotion and relegation would generally happen.

I also think the FA (if they don't already) should engage with more football 'enthusiasts' (there are some excellent examples on here) with regards to league structures and suggestions. The type of people that spend a lifetime studying the league systems etc.

DWFC Marc - Good post and lots of common sense.

This is what the FA should be about. Encouraging clubs to improve facilities without putting too much pressure on.

By the way, good luck with your ongoing ground improvements with regarding to promotion this season.

I am happy that this decision has been reached and I hope Sheerwater especially can sort out their troubles and move forward.

However I think the FA need to look at the requirement for steps 5 -7, make them realistic and then enforce them strictly.

If this happens it will be fair to all clubs and maybe reduce the pressure to spend money on unrealistic requirements

I think that it has been the opinion of many that the requirement for 50/100/150 seats at this level is just silly when the majority of attendances are much lower than this and it would appear that most people prefer to stand at non-league games anyway.

A lot of the tin-can off the shelf stands are just white elephants as many clubs have just put them in where they can fit which tends to be the far side and the furthest walk from the club house.

Whilst the stands are an issue I feel that the real issue is floodlighting. That is certainly the main reason why Farleigh and Worcester Park have struggled. I can't speak for Sheerwater, having not been there yet.

Should floodlights be required at Step Six at all? The FA have clearly decided that they are I suppose.

However, why can't all Step Six matches kick off at 1 or 2pm with outstanding league matches being played midweek in April / May as used to be the case for almost everyone? They don't need lights.

However, why can't all Step Six matches kick off at 1 or 2pm with outstanding league matches being played midweek in April / May as used to be the case for almost everyone? They don't need lights.

PRECISELY !!

I know I keep banging out about the present financial climate, but floodlights DON'T COME CHEAP !!

Edited by Big J R