Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Thomson keen to take Spartans chance

FF News

New Blyth Spartans keeper Nick Thomson is keen to make the most of the opportunity handed to him by an injury to first choice keeper Peter Jeffries.

The young keeper was signed by Tom Wade at the start of February for fellow custodian Peter Jeffries as Spartans look forward to a hectic schedule between now and the end of the season.

However, an unfortunate injury to Jeffries handed Thomson his chance in between the sticks for Spartans and the former Darlington keeper admitted that although his chance has come earlier than expected, he would look to make the most of it.

“I didn’t expect to get a chance this early. I signed and thought I would be on the bench but challenging Peter Jeffries for the number one spot. You hope to get a chance and hope something goes your way but I never thought it would come in the first week. Obviously in the circumstances I am gutted for Peter but I am determined to take my chance here”

Thomson made his debut in testing circumstances at Rushall Olympic, a game where the former Boston University student more than played his part in an impressive win for Tom Wade’s side. However, he did so on a testing pitch against one of the most physical sides in the league. Thomson admitted that he was expecting a tough test but was given confidence by the attitudes of his team mates before the game.

“I wasn’t really nervous, I just thought it was going to be tough on that pitch. I was confident, the lads had been great in the dressing room and in the warm up so going into the game they gave me that confidence”

It’s been a positive start to Thomson’s Spartans career with the keeper playing his part in three consecutive wins inside a week. The latest of those was Saturday’s 4-1 win over Stamford and the run of results left Thomson to admire his side’s style of play.

“It’s been a positive week and if we can keep winning then I will be happy. The lads here are a great group and it’s a good dressing room to be part of. I stand there behind the lads and watch them attacking and think every time we go forward we will score, they have been excellent. I think we will win more than we will lost between now and the end of the season”

The young stopper is keeping his feet on the ground though. He acknowledged that as some point Jeffries - who he describes as “as top keeper” - would come back into contention and that he faces a real challenge for the number one spot, however he is ready for “a good battle” with his fellow keeper.

“I know I am playing for the shirt and I just want to enjoy playing. When Peter comes back it will be a good battle and I was excited to get my chance but I know he is a top keeper and there are some real challenges ahead for me”

Source: www.blythspartansafc.co.uk

Source

Archived