Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Laws of Association Football 2014-2015

It's a cracking good read !!

(cough - cough !)

It's a cracking good read !!

(cough - cough !)

It is up to a point!

Whilst serving in Afghanistan, each member of my Platoon carried a book to read and then to swap with each other thereafter. This helped alleviate the boredom (very relatively speaking) of being in one place for longer than anticipated (which was often the case). My book was volume 2 of Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom but I also brought with me the Laws of the Game for 2007-08 to 'educate' the blokes (and took a photo to prove it.) Oddly enough, I don't think it had many takers even after first-choice and alternate books were read! The moral of the story - you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink!

.....   and at the end of the day, the Laws are there but are interpreted by each individual referee to suit himself.

• 4 months later...

Can anyone help?

I don't get the argument Redknapp and Henry gave of "last man" and "clear goal scoring opportunity" last night - I.e. Why they thought it wasn't a red card.

When a DEFENDER makes a challenge if the attacker would have had a clear run on goal with just the 'keeper to beat, it is considered a clear goal scoring opportunity = red card to the defender.

Yesterday, the 'KEEPER Courtois brought him down when the striker would have been clear through with just a defender to beat, (who of course could not use his hands so a far clearer goal scoring opportunity than if it was just the keeper to beat... )

So surely if the former is red, the latter HAS to be as well.

I dunno, either I or the combined intellects of Redknapp and Henry don't understand the rules of the game properly.

There's few pundits or commentators who know the laws and their application (either or both) so it's probably them. There's no 'last man' in the LOTG nor a 'clear goal scoring opportunity' - there is though an 'obvious ...'

In the example you use, Courtois denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity (DOGSO) - if you take out the culprit, if the attacker is left with a 1 on 1 it's a good indication that it could be a DOGSO offence and a direct FK or penalty. In the relevant section in the application of the LOTG there are some factors to consider in a potential DOGSO situation - awareness of these can help a viewer understand on what basis a decision has been based.

Archived