Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ashford Town (Middlesex) Ladies 2 FK Viking Stavanger Ladies 1

Swifty

Firstly, what a pleasure to watch a game played to old-fashioned values. No games(wo)manship, no histrionics, no cynical fouls, no dissent, no taking ages to get up when hardly touched, and no haranguing the ref (the last one was my domain! Where do we get them from? :lol: ). Simple, effective and refreshing.

Viking were the better side and deserved at least a draw (they woke the neighbours up with two efforts clanging against the goal frame in the first half), but they’ve probably played several times already as a unit, plus we had no subs as opposed to a number used by our visitors and, taking that into account, the ladies showed great stickability, tenacity and stamina. Thanks to Viking for lending us a keeper when ours couldn’t make it – she had an excellent game.

A couple of well taken goals by spearhead striker Ashley, guiding home a lovely ball threaded though the defence on the half hour and then a finish to be proud of following our best free kick of the night on the hour. Viking pulled a goal back with 20 to go, and we hung on determinedly while still giving it our best efforts going forward. Well done, ladies! Best of luck for the future to both teams. 

Good to see Beano brushing up on his best “Eurovision” before and after the game, and thanks to Ian Burse for making a round trip six miles out of his way to give me a lift there and back. Much appreciated.

He'll hate me for this, but I found it funny that, with 22 ladies on the pitch, one of the 'linos' was wearing gloves!!

“Man of the match” for me was Viking’s number 46 - she played quite well too!    :D 

I agree Ed!

A really good game which was played in an excellent spirit by Both teams.

Looking forward to watching some of our girls games next season.

Good night all round showing our club in a very professional manor.

Champions of Europe, we know what we are!

Well done all!

A very enjoyable evening.

The only thing wrong was trying to stifle a laugh when watching the referee attempting to run, it reminded me of Bambi on Ice!

I echo all the previous comments, and all 35 spectators (more than some CCL Teams) had a real treat on a windswept 'free admission' evening, meaning all the carefully emptied bins prior to the game will need to be retrieved before Wednesday's U18's game!

A credit to our Team's coach Will Boye and respect to Viking for the loan of Viking's reserve keeper. She played very well and probably was the difference between a victory and a defeat. A great way to start the newly formed Ashford Ladies Team.

Another reason to go to football on Sunday afternoons, alongside our successful Sunday (Mens) Team. And with Easter upon us, something eggstra to get eggcited about.

Generally speaking, woman/girls play far more sporting football than their male counterparts.

It was a pleasure to read your reort, Swifty.

Archived