Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tonbridge 4 Hx 0

cup of tea

Wasn't sure whether to post or not to be honest.

The worrying thing for me is that Tonbridge didn't look a particularly good side. I thought Harrow looked much better last week. We had a spell at the start of the second half where we looked like we might score but couldn't convert any chances or get the final ball correctly in. Tonbridge did know where the back of the net was however and carved up enough chances to get it there (and hit the woodwork as well).

We have a potential 15 points left available to us, we're 7 points behind safety and it's starting to look less likely that a reprieve is on the cards for 4th from bottom. No matter what happens on Monday, we can't be relegated so that's a small comfort. You should never give up until it's mathematically impossible to stay up but we need to look at the table and realise that it's now starting to look a bit ominous at the moment.

didn't go today but looking at our last 3 away games Enfield,Hendon and the met we need to get at least something out of our last 2 home games but what will be will be

I can't beleive that anybody thinks that this side has any chance of staying up they are the worst hornchurch side for many a year.

The club is in a dire position both on and off the pitch.

A lack of leadership has been evident from August but the club have taken no action

A sad situation which could have been avoivded easily.

Onwards and upward for 2015-2016 season

We will hopefully all keep going but change must happen.

If we do go down, it will give us the chance to re-group and re-build. Could be a good thing. Like I said before, I don't know what's gone on behind the scenes or the difficulties the club have faced.

I think after watching regularly this season it's time for a change in management. I have watched the u21 team on a couple of occasions this season and they have impressed me each time. The manager Alan Dickens is an ex west ham and Chelsea player and I think we could do a lot worse than to see him have a run with the first team. The u21 team are a young and hungry team who look like they may win their league this season and have been overlooked by the management in the first team this season whilst the first team have under performed week upon week. We are a club that should be challenging to get around play-offs and now it looks like we will be playing Ryman North football next season after another embarrassing result against tonbridge angels. Without change I cannot see us progressing and competing at the level that we should be.

I disagree that we "should" be challenging for the play offs.

I think we need a reality check as to the size of this club.

Yes,we are a relatively well known non league club,but ask any non league fan why we are well known and the answer is usually negative.

I believe that events from the early 2000s had catapulted us into the bigger names of non league,whereas 5 years previous,we were no bigger than the likes of Witham town or brentwood,that's the harsh reality.

We have been lucky in the last few years to have won play offs,league titles,Essex cups and have played some big cup ties,these have helped us keep our name as a decent sized club but let's not kid ourselves,we are no Maidstone,Margate or Chelmsford,we have had 2 seasons playing in the conference south and both were courted with controversy.

We have never won the Ryman Premier,FA Vase or FA Trophy like a few local clubs around us.

At our height,the average crowds were around 6-700 in the conference South in 2004 but they were false crowds as were the riches being thrown about,we had players who demanded top wages but again that was false.

We got demoted 3 leagues and started again,under the same owners and got ourselves back to a ryman play off semi but then the crowds started to dwindle when our latest owners took over,we continued to punch above our weight,as a top ryman club while those in charge of the club worked tirelessly to get us debt free again,and while remaining competitive on the pitch.

We then gained promotion to the conference South and again for the most part we remained competitive until we were again in the limelight and relegated.

Again this club due to those supporting it,working behind the scenes and playing for it,exceeded expectations last season by getting to the play off final,only for some petty stuff before the final to pretty much put pay to our play off hopes.

This season we have seen crowds dwindle to their lowest for around 15-16 seasons and the reality is that we are possibly heading back to the position we were before the original take over all that time ago.

Back then we was lucky to get 100 for a game,more than often it was 60-70 and now we are at times struggling around the 180 mark.

This was always going to happen at some point,I'm not saying we should go down or deserve to go down but the bubble burst a long while back and as I say,due to the owners and management have continued to see us play at a much higher level than I believed possible in 2005 when we reformed.

Be careful what you wish for,yes it's obvious that this season has had an effect on crowds,no one likes losing but at the same time,be thankful of the people we have working in and around the club who would quite literally die for this club and back them again as they've spent the last 5-6 years keeping us ahead of the game and one bad season isn't the worst thing in the world.

We are at a level as a club where we should be,we can go higher again,we can go lower but this time it will be done without accruing large amounts of debt and taking the clubs name from us fans,instead hopefully by hard work and taking the hits on the chin and getting back up again.

There do seem to be problems on and off the pitch. I'm not sure which I am more concerned about to be honest.

"On" the pitch its clear we have no momentum, caused mostly by a lack of goals, which has happened through not being able to score another when we have scored a vast majority of the time, and this has put added pressure on the team where individuals have made key errors and they've lead to goals conceded.

"Off" the pitch I only know its difficult. Perhaps we will know more in the next meeting we have. Finances must be tight when we are finding it hard to attract fans and beginning to get crowds of around 100 or even less.

I think that the football club is run a lot more efficiently than it used to be, there's a better setup of football for all ages here with all the youth teams, there's been more interest generated because of ESC successes etc. - Are these signs of a football club that is going to end up with 60-70 fans in the Ryman D1 North for the foreseeable future? I don't think so.

Chances are that we'll go down, if that happens then I except the management to review the situation and look to get us back up again while making sure the club is run in a sustainable fashion.

Archived