Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

3 point deduction

Well, after all that hard work the play-offs (which seemed a pretty good bet) now seem to be off the table due to Aryan Tajbakhsh's ineligibility earlier in the season. It is disappointing in the extreme that this can still happen in this day and age. One might think that the FA would see sense in all the circumstances, but I very much doubt that will be the case.

Absolutely gutted for Brad and the lads. 

BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS
(Do not read unless you want to feel ill)

Enfield Town Football Club Statement 
The Club and its player Aryan Tajbakhsh have been charged by the FA for playing 2 games whilst ineligible through suspension. The charges arise from games initially played by Aryan on his joining the Club.
The Club through its own due diligence identified that Aryan’s former Clubs had not correctly reported his personal details when informing the FA of bookings incurred. The Club immediately informed the FA in January 2015 of the discrepancies, were told to not play the player in the next two matches, and followed that advice. The Club were also informed that no further action would be taken against it. This was also notified by the FA to the Ryman League on 17 February 2015.
It was therefore disappointing to hear on Monday that the Club had been summoned to a hearing on Wednesday concerning the offence of playing the player whilst ineligible. Despite the late notice, officers of the Club attended the hearing.
Despite the FA recognising:
The Club (its officials and manager), had acted properly in carrying out the necessary checks;
It had identified and highlighted the issue to the FA immediately;
That the FA's own inadequate record system had led to this situation arising;
The decision of the Panel was to find both Club and Player guilty. There was no other penalty or costs awarded against the Club. The ramifications of this decision are yet to be decided. However, it is likely under the Ryman League rules we will be deducted 3 points for a game when Aryan should according to the FA have been suspended.
We await the written reasons for the decision and the Club will, given the
circumstances, be likely to appeal. We are bewildered at the decision given that it is accepted that the Club did nothing wrong and it was impossible to know of the incorrect records made by other Clubs. We believe the stance of the FA on this matter has far reaching consequences for football and may encourage others not to report discrepancies in the future. We will of course keep you up to date with events.
We are sorry for the uncertainty this issue will cause to our many supporters
that make this Club unique. We urge that you all get behind Brad and the lads
on Saturday.

COYTOWNERS

Surely any appeal MUST succeed?

Either that, or the Ryman League do not impose a points deduction in light of the FA finding?

As much as the football governing bodies are a law unto themselves, even they cannot completely disregard commonsense on this occasion.

My concern is the impact this news may have on the team on Saturday. Also, can any appeal and/or further legal challenge be resolved before the play-offs (IF Town win on saturday)?

There is ALWAYS some farce going on involving the FA in one league or another. Just our luck that its our turn this year. This is enough to put me off going to non-league football.

Given the facts and timing, it would, to say the least, be a gross miscarriage of justice if the Ryman League decided, at this late stage in the season, to punish the club by deducting three points, and all but destroy our chances of making the play-offs. Hard to understand why this has suddenly reared its head at this point of time. Surely, if the Ryman League management decide, for whatever reason, that further action / punishment is necessary, a fine would suffice.

In these uncertain situations, hope for the best and fear the worst.

On my reading of the Isthmian Rules, the league have the following options:

1) Under r6.9 where an ineligible player is fielded [the FA having determined TA was ineligible,] then any points accrued during those matches should be deducted - ie 3pts off.

2) Alternatively, the league can direct that the matches be replayed. This would probably be the most just outcome given the circumstances, however time is against us.

3) The League Board have complete discretion when it comes to implementation of the league rules. Despite the FA finding that ETFC fielded an ineligible player, there's nothing to stop the Isthmian League from recognising the technical and inadvertent nature of the breach and therefore taking no action.

Isthmian League, it's over to you....

I posted the Club's statement on the Non-League Matters forum (formerly run by the late another) - http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi

The responses so far have almost unanimously supportive of ETFC. One poster pointed out that the player has 3 separate records on the F.A's governance database. He supposedly picked up 9 yellows during his time at Cheshunt and 2 at VCD, which would warrant a 2 game suspension but the records may have been on different databases. 

In my humble opinion, given that the F.A. acknowledged the problem at their end, told the club not to play the player for 2 games (in effect the suspension) and also notified the Isthmian League, any appeal should be successful, but I do not know what it would cost to launch such an appeal.

I just feel for the Board, coaching staff and players after such a good season.

I can't see how we are going to get away with this one unless our people on the inside with the Ryman League can do some kind of deal.

It's such a shame that the season looks like it has been a waste of time after so much promise. Can't see Brad sticking around in this league next season and can't blame him. We need a full investigation and someone to be held accountable.

I'm not going to bother with saturday now but hope to be back if and when we are confirmed in the play offs. We are by far the best team in this league and would have no problems going up either. Can't really blame the fa for this one.

Cheers

Papa

My concern is the impact this news may have on the team on Saturday.

On the contrary, this is likely to galvanise the players and result in a larger crowd, as we turn up to give our support at this very challenging time for the club. I still remember what happened when Enfield FC played Slough under similar circumstances.

COYT!

Still nothing on the Ryman League website. You'd think they might have managed to at least let everyone know when they'll be making  a decision.

Surely that's a bit more important than Met Police's press release about Saturday's game.

I can't see how we are going to get away with this one unless our people on the inside with the Ryman League can do some kind of deal.

It's such a shame that the season looks like it has been a waste of time after so much promise. Can't see Brad sticking around in this league next season and can't blame him. We need a full investigation and someone to be held accountable.

I'm not going to bother with saturday now but hope to be back if and when we are confirmed in the play offs. We are by far the best team in this league and would have no problems going up either. Can't really blame the fa for this one.

Cheers

Papa

no one at the club is accountable for this and the club acted as soon as it was discovered so a investigation would be a waste of time and only show what you already know.

2) Alternatively, the league can direct that the matches be replayed. This would probably be the most just outcome given the circumstances, however time is against us.

The club statement suggests the FA instructed ETFC not play the player for two games following disclosure of the discrepancy..Missing the player for those two games could have cost us points.So if he was eligable in those two games and the FA wrongly instructed us to not play him,do we have to play those two games as well? Its farcical to charge us at this stage of the season.Lets hope common sense previals..We need to win this game on saturday even more now,to put pressure on the FA/Ryman league..If we don't make the play-offs then the heat goes off them regarding this decision.

Are the clubs that sent in incorrect paperwork being investigated and punished?