Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ashton United striker Pilkington motivated for play-off derby

FF News

With Ashton United striker Martin Pilkington just two goals away from breaking the 20 goal barrier for consecutive seasons, many would think the forward is goal hungry going into tomorrow night’s huge Play-off semi-final, against fierce rivals Curzon Ashton.

The 26 year old’s efforts haven’t gone un-noticed either and 41 goals from 96 appearances for the club is a healthy return and one many are envious of.

Eyebrows were raised when the Mancunian wasn’t considered for the Evo-Stik team of the season, but as we’ve seen Pilkington isn’t interested in personal praise and instead wants his side to go all the way and gain promotion to the Conference North for the first time since 2004/05.

This time last season, the former Abbey Hey man may have admitted goals were his be all and end all, however he has matured during his second season in the seventh tier of English football and is now fully focused on helping his side reach promotion by giving 110% to the cause.

“I'm ready for tomorrow, I don’t think you need any more motivation than being in a playoff semi-final at home, the pressure is added as it’s over one leg but we are ready.”

Pilkington continued by saying; “I don't think it matters what team we pick either because the result against Rushall won't affect our belief that we can win the game on Tuesday. Equally it doesn't matter to me whether I reach the 20 goal tally or not.

If I can do it and we win brilliant, if we just win then that's just as good for me. I'm not going to be looking to just shoot from anywhere if my team mates are in better positions, I will try my best to pick them out.”

The Robins have already played the Nash twice in the league this season, with just one point coming from a possible six. The side were unlucky to come away from the Tameside Stadium without at least a point back in August and only individual mistakes cost Paul Phillips and Steve Halford’s men from obtaining three points in the reverse fixture on New Year’s Day.

Pilkington believes things are now different though and in a play-off situation, last season’s heart-break will spur on the side to a famous semi-final victory, in the process scooping bragging rights in the town for the first time in 2015.

“It's a massive game and a local derby with everything to play for. Bragging rights are important too so we don't need motivating for games like these.

Last year has gone now, we got beat in a penalty shootout and we saw that both play-off games were tight affairs, and it will be the same this year. We will have taken a lot from the defeat last year against AFC Fylde but it has only made us more determined to make amends on Tuesday.”

Source: www.pitchero.com/clubs/ashtonunited

Source

Archived