Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Crook Town chairman and manager both step down

FF News

Crook Town chairman Ian Hirst has announced that he is going to quit the recently relegated EBAC Northern League First Division club.

Hirst announced his decision last weekend following a stormy meeting with the Crook committee. He took on the chairman’s position last summer, and he has also been carrying out the roles of secretary and treasurer as well.

“The club is stuck in a time warp,” he said. “I fear for the future of the club. I can’t physically drag the club into the present.

“There is a lack of support from the committee, some of whom even criticise our players loudly when they’re on the field. Surely the players should be receiving support? I am unhappy with some of the things that have developed over the last few months.

“The vast majority of people in the town don’t seem to be interested, and don’t seem to support the club. The fanbase of the team seems to be an ever-decreasing number of people. Our gates are steadily going down.

“Plus doing all three roles is an impossible task, I’ve taken jobs on as people have left the club.”

Hirst’s resignation will take effect after the club holds its annual music festival over the Bank Holiday weekend.

Manager Peter Mulcaster will also walk away from the club after their game at Whitley Bay this afternoon.

Mulcaster took over before Christmas with the club adrift at the bottom of the table, but he knew the scope and extent of the task that he was taking on.

“I’m resigning in support of the chairman,” he said. “He was the main reason why I came to Crook last year.

“He has had little or no help from the people behind the scenes. Ian had plans to re-organise the club on and off the field, and we were all looking forward to next season.

“But because of certain people, he has resigned, so I’m doing likewise in support of him. I really enjoyed working with him, and he was allowing me to plan for next season. We had some good players lined up as well whom we thought would help us win promotion from the second division.

“Usually when I resign from a job, I feel as if I’ve done

Source: www.thenorthernecho.co.uk

Source

Archived