Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Redhill

SMR

I can remember hearing the "Redhill" cry back in the late fifties when my dad started taking me to see Guildford City play at Joseph's Road. I can remember asking him why people were shouting this out whenever the ball was booted over the stands when we weren't even playing them and getting the explanation that Carthorse has given above.

I seem to also remember there was something in the Daily Mirror about this in the sixties. I think there was something like "Ask the Old Codgers" when you could put odd questions to them and they would come up with the answer. I'm pretty sure the "Redhill" question came up there.

The following may help clear this matter up, extract taken from 'Up the Reds' A History of Redhill FC by the late Brian Thomas, a former Secretary of Redhill FC

'The Reds' gained acceptance to the Athenian League, where they established a name as one of the most highly respected clubs in the south of England. They were crowned league champions in 1924-25 after finishing runners up the previous season. Redhill went on from their success to reach the semi final of the FA Amateur Cup, before losing 7-1 to Northern Nomads at Highbury in front of 17,000 fans. The team were severely hampered after their keeper was injured early on and they were reduced to ten men. The team tried to stem the tide and on several occasions they kicked the ball out of the ground, to cries of "Redhill" from both sets of supporters. This tradition is still carried on at some grounds when a clearance leaves the ground.

For someone who openly detests Redhill, you sure know a lot about them Carthorse.

Secretly in love with them...

Dave the good thing about Carthorse,he tells it how he sees it,Redhill are not my cup of tea either,so BBB for a tiny Club.

With all this chat about Redhill, it looks like this forum to be quite interesting now they've joinrd us.

I'm sure Carthorse will come up with some gems !

He moves about quite a lot

Wonder if he will go the whole season without a move??

He moves about quite a lot

Wonder if he will go the whole season without a move??

Perhaps young Smudger might like to open a 'book'  !

Perry Gough is an excellent coach and person in my opinion,He is not a quitter, so yes he will be their the whole season for sure.

Must remember to 'get of my backside and do something positive',is my new motto John.

Perry Gough is an excellent coach and person in my opinion,He is not a quitter, so yes he will be their the whole season for sure.

Must remember to 'get of my backside and do something positive',is my new motto John.

So we'll have to wait aand see then, won't we Peter !!

Didnt he quit Chertsey Smudge??

Hampton reserves after 2 weeks??

Woking??

Chertsey??

Any more last year ??

Perhaps he should be known as 'Tiger Woods'  !

:bolt:

Peter just a post that again you seem to jump on and resort to a personal dig.

Thought better of you.

Ah well

Edited by Weeble

Thought better of you. I have been involved in a management team for the last 2 years at a club the equivalent to the blue square south / north

Ah well

Amazed at the above comments by Weeble and Johnno,you would not want a reference from them for sure.Hows your Managerial careers going by the way?

In its early stages Smudge but thanks for asking. Wouldnt call it a career, more of a hobby!

Hows the menstrual cycle going Smudge?? 

In its early stages Smudge but thanks for asking. Wouldnt call it a career, more of a hobby!

PMS  -  Pre menstrual smudge

Thought better of you.

Ah well

So now the boot is on the other foot,how do you think Perry Gough feels about your earlier comments,OVER THE MOON?

Johnno, Club Management should be taken seriously surely, not treated as a hobby,else you fail even I know that.Still at least you learn from your mistakes.

Andy,was your post not a dig at Perry Gough,but that was okay?