Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Collared Doves

Following on from the previous post 'Herons and Crows', I witnessed another strange incident in our back garden a couple of days ago.

Following the loss of a pet feral cat that terrorized the local bird population, Jan and I were left with one fat lazy male neuter who seems to tolerate the birds feeding in our garden. We have, therefore, placed several bird feeding stations outside which attract many species.

Wood pidgeons, coal tits, blue tits, robins, balckbirds and thrushes and the dreaded 'mafia' flocks of starlings.

On this occasion the starlings were in competition with a pair of magpies for the fresh food just suppled.

A pair of collared doves appeared on the fence, (one of two pairs who visit us).

They immediately mobbed first the starling, and then went hell for leather getting rid of the magpies, which we all know are fearless predators.

I always thought collared doves were meek and mild birds, but they saw off every bird in the garden so they could feed in peace.

Archived