Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Promotion from Step 7

Tel

Whilst Bookham may have owed some money by the end, they shared Meadowbank for a few years, which tells you that either Bookham must have paid some money, or DFC were incredibly gullible at the time!

Good point E&E. But in the footballing community that non league thrives within . Look out for each other and the likes. Do you demand all monies up front ? Which may be reasonable but possibly slightly overbearing or trust that any deal agreed pre season that necessitates part payment within will be honoured. As a supporter of a club that has ground shared for many a year are you aware on what basis your own club have taken this option and if any host clubs have agreed to split payments is it appropriate to class them as gullible if knocked. I have no idea if that was the case here but a possibility nonetheless.

As far as I am aware we pay at the start of the season, although it's possible that we may pay (or may have done in the past) in two halves. One for our treasurer to answer! We would never consider defaulting as it's all about respect and we continue to remain very grateful to Chipstead, and Merstham before them, for their offer of ground sharing.

My point really is that if a club receives no payment or delays in receiving payment, that is unfortunate as in most cases something like that is unforeseeable and could happen to anyone. For DFC to then repeat the process and have the same thing happen again the following season, that is either gullible or mismanagement and in a way highlights a lot of why DFC ended up plummeting down the divisions.

Yes Bookham owed money, but DFC just love to blame everyone else, don't they!

As far as I am aware we pay at the start of the season, although it's possible that we may pay (or may have done in the past) in two halves. One for our treasurer to answer! We would never consider defaulting as it's all about respect and we continue to remain very grateful to Chipstead, and Merstham before them, for their offer of ground sharing.

My point really is that if a club receives no payment or delays in receiving payment, that is unfortunate as in most cases something like that is unforeseeable and could happen to anyone. For DFC to then repeat the process and have the same thing happen again the following season, that is either gullible or mismanagement and in a way highlights a lot of why DFC ended up plummeting down the divisions.You would have thought ONCE BITTEN.

My point really is that if a club receives no payment or delays in receiving payment, that is unfortunate as in most cases something like that is unforeseeable and could happen to anyone. For DFC to then repeat the process and have the same thing happen again the following season, that is either gullible or mismanagement and in a way highlights a lot of why DFC ended up plummeting down the divisions.

Noone blaming anyone here E+E, I was just commenting! I don't know the details, other posters seem to know more than I do.

E&E . As posted above where anywhere on this thread has anyone apportioned blame ? Strange to make such a comment really especially when the thread can be re read to check for its accuracy. It seems as if Dorking FC in some way has got under your skin . Is this a recent thing centred around ground issues generally which would be understandable given their imminent return to a redeveloped Meadowbank and your own teams continued nomadic existence or is it deeper than that ?

Well I DO know the circumstances and the facts behind them as I was part of the old DFC set-up.

It was during a past regime at DFC, and therefore I don't think it is worthy of my putting dirty washing out in public that can be confirmed or denied.

Lets just let it rest there, OK ??

Edited by Big J R

I have no issue with DFC except that I work in the town and live in the council tax area so when I see a club that has been badly run down over the last twenty years then getting given money from the council, I like to take an interest.

I did come across the mismanagement myself though as I used to run a pool league there over a decade ago for six years which they then lost. It pulled in £48 per evening for the scheduled league matches alone, plus extras and bar revenue from 16 people plus friends (pool players drink a lot) on a Wednesday night throughout the entire year and would be empty otherwise, save for the occasional youth game. All we got was a small amount of £15 per week back. Their only other costs were a small bit of table maintenance. They probably made £150 every Wednesday for six years until the chap who owned the clubhouse franchise Alec Hastings moved to Spain and the club took it over, then deciding not to honour their end of the bargain. Dense really didn't sum it up.

This is why I was particularly interested in the discussions over the lease for Meadowbank and how it was that a club with a poor reputation in the past, decided that their very first public course of action upon the news they would be getting the ground back would be to stamp their feet and moan about having to share it with their near neighbours from Mickleham. My concern as a local was that the club hadn't learned from its mistakes earlier and that view has been enhanced by the statements that DFC have released in recent months.

No one has appointed blame on this particular thread but over the years many people have commented on DFC who don't come out well from these matters. With respect to BJR's comments, I'll leave the finer details there.

However, what I will say is that I have a view on most matters, not just this one. However, you appear to just have a view on matters pertaining to DFC so I can't help wondering whether your mask of anonymity is slipping.....

Just a fan I'm afraid and a poor one at that. As I say local football fan periodically in the area that's adopted a local team for no reason in particular. Don't post on other matters because I know even less about those than I do about this which as you can see is not much really. Sorry to disappoint but no conspiracy theory or drama here. Sorry about your pool team , that must have been a shocker. I get now why you have an issue with Dorking Football Club. Intrinsically linked !

I repeat, I have no issue with Dorking FC. My story was just advising how disorganised they were and probably why the club went downhill. It wasn't just my pool team, it was an entire league! 

The people concerned have now gone and hopefully the new people there have learned from the past, but I am not convinced yet. History is useful in that you hope to avoid the same mistakes in the future. We'll see!

I'll reserve my judgement on the conspiracy theory for now.

I repeat, I have no issue with Dorking FC. My story was just advising how disorganised they were and probably why the club went downhill. It wasn't just my pool team, it was an entire league! 

The people concerned have now gone and hopefully the new people there have learned from the past, but I am not convinced yet. History is useful in that you hope to avoid the same mistakes in the future. We'll see!

I'll reserve my judgement on the conspiracy theory for now.

Quite so.  I've found that a good conspiracy theory always makes life far more interesting.