Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Heed lose coach to Black Cats academy

FF News

Vanarama National League club Gateshead`s under-19 coach Paul Bryson is to leave the International Stadium next month after accepting a vacancy at Sunderland’s Academy of Light.

Having already been head coach at Gateshead College’s football development centre since 2002, Bryson joined his home-town club in 2010, overseeing the Heed’s reserve side.

A fruitful link-up between the club and the college has followed since, with Bryson guiding the Tynesiders’ under-19 team to wave after wave of success in recent years.

Last season, the Heed’s young guns cruised to a fourth-straight Youth Alliance North Division title, while they were beaten finalists in both the Youth Alliance League Cup, as well as the Durham Challenge Cup.

Following a job offer earlier this month, Bryson will begin life as a lead phase coach on Wearside at the beginning of August.

But the former Spennymoor Town and Dunston UTS midfielder admits that he will step down from his current role with a heavy heart.

He said: “It was a massively difficult decision, but in the end, I just felt that I needed a new challenge.

“I have some fantastic memories from the last thirteen years – beginning with our victories in the Champions Cup as a college, before the link-up with the club.

“And then the FA Youth Cup run we had a couple of years ago – beating the likes of Preston North End and Doncaster Rovers – was a real highlight.

“We’ve now won the Youth Alliance four years on the bounce, and we’ve produced some really good players, too.

“It’s just a shame that I couldn’t have signed off with the League Cup back in May!

“But it wasn't to be. In any case, it has been a pleasure to work with the young players over the years.

“I have been working part-time at the Academy anyway. I understand the systems, the club and the players – so it will not all be completely new to me.

“I am looking forward to it – I am ready for it, and it’s a great chance to work at a Premier League club day-in, day-out.”

Source: www.footballconference.co.uk

Source

Archived