Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Hard Luck Guys

can any one enlighten me ? what was the foul given for which lead to the free kick- which lead to the corner forn there first goal my oppinion is that the ref made a bbig mistake which changed the game i have watched the video several times and can still not see a foul by shearer which he (the ref) gave as for the penalty it did hit the players hand so yes it should have been given and also if the ref had given the first foul on gibbs there would have been no retaliation so i,m sorry but the ref c**ked it up

As Alan rightly implies, us Terriers are a good barometer when considering the difference between each league. Mind, in this particular department of football fan experience I wish I were a novice.

Any how - In my view, the gulf between the leagues goes some thing like this.

Premier League (which we are all familiar with on TV) - A huge leap if teams expect to finish in the top ten positions and not so great when compared to the bottom half of the Prem.

The 1st Division - A very good standard particularly in the defensive positions, (compared to the leagues below and not the Prem) with the better teams having at least 6/8 very skillful and accomplished footballers. Midfield play also strong!

The 2nd Division - A huge drop in defending particularly! Each team has 3/4 (maybe 5) good/skillful players. The ball seems to see a lot of 'air' compared with the league above.

The 3rd Division - Seems very similar to the 2nd. A bit more physical perhaps but certainly the closest of differences I've seen.

The Conference - Even more physical and lacking in genuine pace. But generally close to the 3rd. I would expect teams that get the ball 'down' to do well. Certainly what I've seen of Fleet and their opponents they could hold their own if they spread their play more. Consistancy would be a big issue! At Huddersfield this season Carlisle were clueless. Most Conference teams would be able to raise their game enough to beat or at least compeat equally with a 3rd/2nd Division team.

OK lesson over!

I was able to convince half a dozen or so mates to watch the Notts game in the 'local' and they got some other lads 'at it' too. When we scored the place erupted. which left several L**ds fans, just back from their game with Chelsea, somewhat bemused! All Good Stuff!

Come On Youuuuuuuuuu Reeeeeeeeeeds

BB

The foul that led to the free kick for their first goal also appeared harsh to me - the guy was knocked slightly off balance but wouldnt have got the ball anyway in my view. But I could understand the free kick being given, as there was some contact - many a time it wouldnt, but still our fault at the corner anyway - penalty area too crowded and we let their guy slip between Strouts (what was he doing in the central defensive position anyway) and Perkins.

Well as George Borg (i think) was saying in an interview it seems that the crucial decisions go the way of the League clubs.

In our case:

maybe we could have had a penalty

maybe that freekcik was harsh

maybe gibbs would have stayued if the ref had spotted the first foul.

we will just have to accept the decisions and prepare ourselves for a tough away game to Burton who are doing well this season

Quote:
Alan W (GNFC) said:Felt sorry for Alex O'Reilly - excellent save 1st touch and we then defend the corner like that and he had no real chance with the winner either. Otherwise he had nothing to do in his spell on the pitch.

Quite right Alan - it would be easy to blame the defeat on Wilko's injury, given that it was 1-0 when he went off and 2-1 by the end. However, as you say, O'Reilly had little chance with the two goals.
Nonetheless, Wilko has proved to be by far and away our number one goalkeeper - so let's just hope that, as Andy Ford is quoted as saying in the NLP today, it was just cramp.

What really cost us was undoubtedly the red card. Having watched it again on MOTD last night, it was a borderline decision which some referees may have interpreted as a yellow, but that doesn't excuse Gibbs' attempts at retaliation. As has been said elsewhere, he really should have known better.

Despite our hard luck in the end (we should have known - we always seem to exit the FA Cup by a 2-1 scoreline), it was a strong performance. We admittedly looked a little lightweight in attack, and although Haworth has hardly been on top form recently, his omission was a surprise. Nonetheless, a fine effort, with Moore, Perkins and McKimm particularly impressive in my view.

As has been mentioned countless times on this forum, we've just got to repeat these excellent cup performances in the league.

Hello all

Haven't had a chance to post since the game. Agree with some opinions, disagree with others.But hey, thats democracy. Firstly I thought Saturday was magnificent. The club proved that we can stage a big live game, so come back soon Sky. The players gave it everything they could and deserved at least a draw and as for the fans the support couldn't have been better. At the time and with a limited view I thought the sending off was harsh but having watched it several times I think the ref got it right. You could tell from Gibbs body language that having not been given the free kick he intended to have a bit of 'afters'.IMO the ref had no choice. I agree that if we had kept 11 players on the pitch and hadn't lost Wilko the outcome could have been different. But if Gibbs hadn't cleared off the line we might have been buried long before he got sent off. The attendance didn't suprise me. Given the general apathy that the club has always faced, the fact that people could stay at home and watch it meant we were never going to sell out. Finally, although cup memories are always nice ( and we can watch this one time and again on video) we are out now and it's the league that matters. We've earned a few quid from our cup run giving Andy a chance to strenthen the squad and we might get a few of the part time fans back for the Woking game (doubt it ) but thats it, over for another season. Oh and if anyone watches the video closely I'm the sad looking bloke in the Father Christmas hat who looks about to cry at the end - not far from the truth.Well done to everyone, a priceless night at Stonebridge Road. Onward and upward.

COME ON YOU REDS

Completely agree with you Ronnie. Now I've had time to think about it, all the things we have been moaning about recently came together on Saturday to dump us out of the cup.

1. Crap referee. Yes, he probably was right to send Gibby off, but Question : "Why didn't he give the foul against Gibbs first" Answer "Football league bias!!"

2 Lack of fire power up front. All of out recent goals seem to have come from midfielders, although Pinnock, Walshe and Drury terrified Notts with their pace, our goal came from a midfielder, and our best other chances came from McKimm, Shearer and Moore.

3. Discipline. This is fast becoming embarrassing. We have almost spent as much time playing with 10 as with 11. At least we are getting used to playing a 4-4-1 formation. Before it is too late, Andy and co must SHIP OUT our persistent offenders, they are doing the club no favours, and we have money to buy better, more intelligent players.

4 Defending at corners/set pieces. Andy Ford- defender. Ade Pennock- Defender, Ron Hillyard - keeper. Wilkerson - big & strong, Lee Shearer - big & strong. Chris Moore - Big & strong, Francis Duku - big & strong. This group have got to SORT IT OUT !!! Plenty of height, strength and experience. What is missing is some proper organisation when defending.

Having had my rant, those that played performed wonderfully well, and with the exception of the first goal we conceded, we looked the better team !!!

I talked in the pub after to some guy who was there for the first time on Sat. He was well impressed - he usually goes up to Chelsea 3 -4 times a season, and he says he will definately bringing his sons down to Stonebridge Rd - especially as he doesnt get much change out of £150 going to Stamford Bridge. A few more like that please!

I can only reiterate what other people have said. We have 4 vital games coming up, including the opportunity to take six points off our main rivals and the team one point above us in the league. Half of me is almost glad that we lost as a trip to Middlesbrough might have been too much of a distraction. We can hold our heads up for the way that the team played and the organisation at the ground, and I think we should all be grateful for that.