Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Unbelievable Jeff...Cobham FC HT pep talk

wowzer1

Crazy scenes at HT of the Cobham vs. Sheerwater match today...(Sheers 1-0 up at the time)

Hardly 'rallying the troops'! 

Not nice for the players, or spectators. His rant hardly had the desired effect. Match finished 0-2. 

"You will never see a weaker defense than this!"....disagree.

"FACT" that you will finish in the bottom three. Again, disagree. Well done Sheerwater. 

Cobham, take a look a look at yourselves. Promoting yourselves as a community club, gaining backing, support and sponsorship from local people...however, jeopardising it all with people like this involved! 

Edited by wowzer1

He must have been watching the "Sir Alex Ferguson"  coaching video !!

:bolt:

Personally, I consider berating players on the pitch IN FRONT of paying spectators is totally un-professional.

Having had time to digest the weekends events, first of all the behaviour shown in the video obviously is not good and I hope that lessons were learnt.

However, that incident is not typical of Cobham - the club has (believe it or not) made strides with regards to coaching young players of the future and anybody who visits the Leg O Mutton can see the aesthetic improvements that have been made to the ground.

I see that the 'Great Touch' people on Twitter have done a Guardian-type report on Cobham as being evil - well I do hope that they can take the blinkers off and realise that whilst things happened with regards to Pete Ruggles and his team last season both Cobham and Sheerwater have moved on and there is no bad blood nor resentment on Cobham's part towards them or indeed any persons or clubs.  We are not a pariah club and though we are no angels neither are most clubs in football. 

If these Great Touch people want to report on Cobham, I do hope they take time to hear things from our perspective and can focus on the good things we have done - maybe even feature our young fans Jack and Harry, both of whom are big fans of the club and our charity partners at the Guy Mascolo Charity which runs a crime prevention scheme in conjunction with Wandsworth Council giving young people the chance to live a positive lifestyle - I do hope that Great Touch can give them a plug as well, you know in the way of a tolerant and fair balance?  

Lastly, some people have bemoaned the loss of Ken Reed from the club - well as an ex player at Cobham (my surname is Palmer) I can say that Ken was the person responsible for the club's demise.   The club had slipped back and any manager who showed sign of promise was sacked (check the managerial records as proof).  

That was then, this is now - good luck to Sheerwater and well done on your win.  We'll look forward to the rematch in January, and will hope to win that one.

Edited by CobhamChris

CobhamChris you sound like more than just an ex player you seem to know the ins and outs. Let me just say my point on all this. Please don't think myself or my players (the ones that used to play for Cobham) have a chip on our shoulder just because we got pushed aside when the takeover happened. Myself and some of my players where at Cobham 8 years ago fighting it out to keep Cobham alive in the prem for 2 years until we finally slipped to relegation in the 2nd year. The place back then had life to it and a good feeling within the club, it was a unit in terms of players and regular people coming to watch us scrap for points each week (not to say that this is not now under this new chapter for Cobham) Some of my players now and ex players back then ended up with a soft spot for that club in the years we where there. Many of us stayed in touch through out the years. It's football we ended up feeling a passion for the club, we got asked by Ken last season to help come back and help it out which we we're more than happy to. Then after 3 games the takeover happened. Some players weren't happy with what they sore happening to the club and nor where some of the new faces we bought in with our 2nd stint at the club. I can't help the fact that my players had a passion and feeling for a club where they had a roller coaster of a ride trying to help a club avoid the drop for 2 years all them years ago. then to get the opportunity many years on to have the chance to play for them again only for it to be short lived. I'm not going into any details but my players have an opinion on the topic and they chose to dislike what's happening to some of what they used to think was a club they had feelings for, that's up to them, that's football a game of opinions, we used there feelings of what they think of the club now to go out and beat Cobham Saturday and that's exactly what they done. As for 'Great Touch' it's just a harmless bit of fun for them and there followers, there not out to please football clubs and be all nice nice that would be boring. they are there to entertain whoever follows them, have a laugh, try to get more followers, have fun, there free to post what they like in good nature, it's no more than to what you would find on soccer am! Nothing bad has been said between the clubs and like you said the game was played in good nature. It's obvious the video doesn't cover yourselves in glory but it's not just because your Cobham, if this had of happened to any other club the same type of public reaction to it will be exactly the same.

Some of our players (including myself) where extra determined to win because of what they believe in. Simple as that. Doesn't really matter what there opinion is, whether it's right or wrong because it's each to their own. Not all opinions are the same. That's football, without the passion it would be boring, myself and mark have got a very passionate group of players which was there to see Saturday. And as for that video it shows no respect whatsoever for Sheerwater FC or my players so you can understand why there opinions have not changed after Saturday. I'm now done on this matter. I will end on a note of that Cobham is looking a lot better shape this season as in the paintwork and road leading into the club etc. good luck for the rest of the season.

Hi there Pete,

Great to hear your thoughts on the issue, and I am a little 'in the know' but don't know everything about what is happening there.

I will say sorry for the way you were treated by one of the staff - what happened is totally wrong and I am sure that lessons will be learnt.  Nothing can excuse poor behaviour like that and as all can see we did not cover ourselves in much glory on Saturday on or off the pitch, but I hope that it can be put to bed - it happened, it's done, let's all move on.  

i can also appreciate and sympathise with the way you felt for Cobham and it's great to know there is no resentment on your part - that shows your maturity and maybe a bit of our (Cobham's) immaturity.  

I'm not upset with Great Touch, and it's good to see these young people taking an interest in non-league which is what is needed. Just a few things - the gentleman featured is not the chairman (David Tippets is the chairman) and as for the player recruitment thing that is always on the club's Twitter feed as they are looking for players to play for the new reserve side in the hope they may be able to step up to the first team.  In fact, we have a game v Molesey's Reserves tomorrow night which will double as a try-out for some new faces which the club feels have potential to play for the first team (and there are three positions up for grabs - guess which ones!) so at least the players know that there is competition for their positions and that they cannot take their place in the starting line-up for granted.

Best wishes to Sheerwater and I have to say your players looked great - especially Tom, Ross and Shane.  I would not be surprised if bigger clubs came in for them.

BJR.

It's Probably the only time he gets to wear the trousers or should I say track suit

Edited by Weeble

BJR.

It's Probably the only time he gets to wear the trousers or should I say track suit

Quite possibly Weebs.

I've just watched the clip again, and I STILL don't believe his arrogance !

I'm glad to report that he wasn't present at the Reserve game tonight, though apparently he has put the kai-bosh on a striker signing for Cobham due to more bad behaviour...

To cut a long story short (as a certain new Romantic group would have said) a young lad called Luke showed up tonight at the Leg O Mutton and asked about trials and training with Cobham.  He had a Football CV with him detailing previous clubs (Chelsea, Southend and Thamesmead) and the Reserve Manager called up the gentleman featured about him.  

Cue a big row over the phone and the young lad skulking away thinking 'I don't want to play for this lot.'

Not a good few days for Cobham FC...

I'm glad to report that he wasn't present at the Reserve game tonight, though apparently he has put the kai-bosh on a striker signing for Cobham due to more bad behaviour...

To cut a long story short (as a certain new Romantic group would have said) a young lad called Luke showed up tonight at the Leg O Mutton and asked about trials and training with Cobham.  He had a Football CV with him detailing previous clubs (Chelsea, Southend and Thamesmead) and the Reserve Manager called up the gentleman featured about him.  

Cue a big row over the phone and the young lad skulking away thinking 'I don't want to play for this lot.'

Not a good few days for Cobham FC...

Having watched the clip twice, like I said previously, I can't say I'm surprised.

The word 'arrogance' springs rapidly to mind.

Some Leopards never change their spots comes to mind,has UKFFC written all over it,Cobham won the sportsman award last year I beleive,even after the disgraceful way they took over the Club.This award was offered to them by the CCL Committee,that says it all.

Sutton Common Rovers initial opening game at Sutton Utd,only had Mr Murrell in attendance,thats how much they watch games to get any idea what goes on in their League.

On a side note,is there any Club that would charge an ex Chairman an ENTRY FEE in the CCL?

Some Leopards never change their spots comes to mind,has UKFFC written all over it,Cobham won the sportsman award last year I beleive,even after the disgraceful way they took over the Club.This award was offered to them by the CCL Committee,that says it all.

Sutton Common Rovers initial opening game at Sutton Utd,only had Mr Murrell in attendance,thats how much they watch games to get any idea what goes on in their League.

On a side note,is there any Club that would charge an ex Chairman an ENTRY FEE in the CCL?

I wouldn't have thought so Peter, unless said Chairman left under a very dark cloud, but then again, I doubt  said Chairman would be likely to attend matches.

I have coached for many years and different levels and I read this forum every week and go to many CCL Premier and Div 1 games. The behaviour of this, and I will say this in inverted commers, coach is absolutely disgusting. A coach I was always taught was someone who could nurture encourage and produce the best from players under his/ their guidance ... this guy might like to call himself a coach but the true fact is he is just and out and out bully and not needed in the grass roots game.

Surely UKFF under the guise of Cobham should take a good hard look at this and realise that to move forward there will need to be casualties and this man must be high on their list, it is totally unacceptable and even worse it was carried out in front of spectators.

Sorry for rant but it made me so annoyed after all the hard work that coaches throughout the leagues put in that it made me make my first post.. Mr Chairman a spot of re-education for your coaches I feel and perhaps one looking to apply for a new job? as this is an advert which I think any league can do without !!

It'll be interesting to see how he behaves when Cobham play at Peckham Town on Saturday - if lightning strikes twice then maybe he should think hard about his position at the club and what it entails.

On a more positive note, Cobham's Reserves did well against Molesey Reserves last night earning a 1-1 draw.  Loads of new faces and a well taken goal by us after Molesey had gone ahead.