Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Veteran defender Coles departs Forest Green

FF News

Forest Green Rovers can confirm that Danny Coles time at The New Lawn has come to an end, with the defenders contract having been cancelled by mutual consent.

Signed from Exeter City in August 2014, the 33-year-old made 34 appearances in all competitions for the club last season, scoring once in our 1-0 away win over Bristol Rovers.

He signed a contract extension in January after an impressive first six months in a FGR shirt, however following an injury picked up shortly afterwards, he struggled to force his way back into a side that reached the end of season play-offs.

During this time, the former Bristol Rovers and Hull City man enjoyed a stint in a player-coach role following the departure of Dave Kevan to Notts County.

Commenting on his exit, Coles said: “I’m moving onto other interests but staying within football. I’ve got no real plans to play anymore.It has been good to get things sorted really.

“I thoroughly enjoyed every minute I’ve been at the club.It’s a fantastic little club with big ambitions. To help the club up into the highest position its ever finished is something I’m proud of.

“It’s just a shame we couldn’t get promoted, but we just came up short unfortunately against Bristol Rovers.”

Coles last appearance for the club came in the second leg of the play-off semi-finals against Bristol Rovers – one of his former clubs for whom he appeared over one hundred times.

In total, Coles has made 465 career appearances, played 417 league games including almost 400 in the Football League and scored 20 goals.

Source: Forest Green Rovers FC

Source

Archived