Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Playing for 2nd place?

kevchenko

So with Hartey Wintney in seemingly unstoppable form what is the promotion format this season?

Is it just the winners that go up again?

I believe so, unless the winners haven't applied for promotion or they do not have the required ground grading. In which case there is the possibility that the runners up could be promoted, depending on application and ground grading.

Of course I could be wrong.

I don't think Ben and the lads will be too impressed at what looks like throwing in the towel in some quarters. Still 80 per cent of the season to go, and anything's possible.

Having said that, hats off to Hartley Wintney for a blistering start to the season, especially the knocking out of three Southern League teams in their FA Cup run, Merthyr away being the jewel in the crown. Eastbourne Borough should take The Row lightly at their peril in the next round.

Yes, as things stand, only one club can be promoted from each Step 5 League, including the CCL.

The runners-up can be promoted if the champions either don't wish to be promoted or cannot get their ground up to Grade E by 31 March.  This also applies to the 3rd placed club if the top two can't or don't want to go up..

The FA has not yet sent anything out about promotion as it is too early but clubs are likely to have to apply by 30 November.

As it looks at the moment, but as swifty states 80% of the season is left, it seems HW are the best team in C C but things change. I've only read reports of their games but it does seem if they maintain their form they might be playing in the Southern League SOUTH WEST next season.

We know what long travel is from our old Southern League days.

• 1 month later...

Are they ever going to lose a game  :(

Wow only 2 points behind now and only 1 game in hand, it's on again  :boxing:

There seems to be some doubt whether HW's facilities are up to the standard for promotion and therefore 2nd place may be good enough.

cant see players leaving Cove who didn't want promotion and go to H W if thing weren't in place to go up.

I don't know if the ground needs any tweaking to get the grading but I'm sure they will get the standard. If they don't, there could be a few very good players looking for another new club

• 2 months later...

And all of a sudden back to back defeats leaves us in a right old mess.... Level points but HW now have 4 games in hand....

• 2 weeks later...

A win in our local derby at Hanworth Villa and The Row losing 4-2 at Farnham means that we are three points behind and Hartley have "only" two games in hand.

You would have to say that Hartley are still in the box seat, with Camberley also a major threat, but every team has at least one "wobble" during the season. We've had a couple; depending on how the League leaders respond to their result today, this may or may not be the start of theirs. 

There's a lot of football to play and our club has the security of a 'C' ground grading, which means we can play two levels higher without working on the ground. We cannot be certain what the situation is with the League leaders' ground, but we do know that if we keep winning then the pressure on others to do likewise intensifies.

Let's just win as many games as we can, see if we can win one of the Cups we are still in and let everything else take care of itself.  We CAN still go up but, if we don't, it wouldn't be a disaster. As far as I can tell from the frozen North, things are moving in the right direction both on and off the park. Let's enjoy it and see what happens/

Indeed looks like we are "back in the ball game" :icon21:

• 1 month later...

It seems Hartley Wintney announced their ground will not be ready for promotion this season.

Second place will earn promotion.

To me it seems Ashford, Camberley or Epsom are favourites for second place, I've been wrong before many times

Football is a funny old game. Jimmy Grieves

The debacle at Horley at the weekend doesn't do us any favours  :(

Archived