Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The defence

michael

Yes-its a personal bugbear of mine ,but it really does getting me pulling my thinning hair out .

what does it take to make it better ?

Is it simply players who can obey management instructions and do the basics ?

to be fair-it was ok yesterday-and the best games that i have seen both wilson and green play-green defended well as well as attacked well-back to psf form for him-and wilson looks fit at last,and showed he really cared.

Its in the centre of defence that constantly bugs me.

I was pleased to see Johnson back,as i think he is the most consistent and less error prone of our three central defenders ;and whilst i thought he was very complacent in the first half-CW had a very good second half, when he stopped pretending to be Beckenbaur (for those who remember )

I don't expect pefection ,and understand mistakes will occur-but surely we can eradicate some of the mistakes.

3 tims in first half-CW was last line of defence and opted to 'play football' as opposed to hoof-particularly on a bumpy pitch - and three times he made a bit of a hash-albeit on each occasions recovered/got away with it.

as i say-in second half he resorted to basics and looked like the good player he is-but why take any risks?

why when attacking set pieces do we usually have just two defenders marking two attackers -especially when we are not blessed with pace .

indeed-on one occasion at,all bar one player went upfield tfor a corner and on the half way line oxford had 3 attackers ready for the clearance against one defender.Surely thats a basic which is sorted before players go on the pitch-what gets into their heads ?

WE still give too many unnecessary free kicks awaY-WERE UNDER PRESSURE AT END OF MATCH, AN OXFORD ATTACKER HAD BALL ON EDGE OF BOX-HE WAS Surrounded by 3 margate players-was going nowhere-but on of our bright sparks decides to foul him on the edge of the box-we got away with it-but why do it in first instance -madness.

yes-when you are playing-you can get carried away a bit-but the mental side is part of it.

just drives me nuts and we just don't improve at it .

Archived