Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

HORNCHUCH 0 ROMFORD 1 - report

Dagger03

Tuesday 27-October-2015

HORNCHURCH 0  ROMFORD 1

HFC – Mott – Bentley – Luke – Styles © - Cooper – May – Thompson (Poku 59) – Collis (D0ve 85) – Knight (Baker 73) – Purcell – Joseph

Subs – Witherspoon – Chafer

RFC – Gough – Boswell – Woodward – Cossington – Frew – Goldstone – Giddings – Norris – Marfo – McKenzie – Burgess (Scott 80)

Subs – Barry – Potter – Reynolds – Weemes

Officials – Rob Smith with Mark Simmons and Doug Steele

Scorer – Woodward 45

Bookings – Styles 44 (H) – Marfo 84 (RFC)

Weather – 16 degrees, damp

Attendance 226

HORNCHURCH 0  ROMFORD 1

The weather was damp and depressing and so was the football – what is it about Tuesday nights?

In a one sided match, when Hornchurch had 80 percent of the territorial play, they did not manage a single shot on target. Romford themselves only managed one shot on target, and it went into the net for the only goal of the game.

It started promisingly, with Hornchurch coming forward, and with the visitors conceding a succession of free kicks. David Knight hit the first free kick wide of the post, and when Jake Giddings was penalised about ten yards outside the area, the scene was set for a George Purcell special. Purcell drove the ball over the wall, but it was a fraction too high and went over the bar. And that was the closest Hornchurch came to scoring until the half hour mark, when Nathan Cooper headed a Joey May corner against the bar.

Earlier, Purcell out a shot wide after good work by Abs Thompson, Knight fired wide from an Alex Bentley centre, and Junior Luke went close, again from a Bentley centre.

Romford did not threaten until three minutes from the interval, when Akwasi Marfo dragged a half chance wide of the post.

But as the first half entered stoppage time, Elliot Styles was booked for a foul, and George Woodward took the free kick, which seemed to surprise Sam Mott, who could not prevent the ball entering the net for the only goal of the game.

Hornchurch came out strongly in the second half, with Tobi Joseph making two good runs along the left, but on both occasions the cross was met by a massed defence. As the match progressed, there were numerous stoppages, all for injuries to visiting players, and Hornchurch grew increasingly desperate, with a succession of high balls being headed away with monotonous regularity.

Romford threatened just once, on the hour mark, when Bentley made an excellent tackle to prevent a possible scoring chance after a mix-up in defence.

The closest Hornchurch came was when Joseph headed wide from a May free kick, the only other chance coming when the visiting defence sliced a long throw by Junior Luke narrowly past the post for a corner.

We expected several minutes of stoppage time, after the many injuries and blatant time wasting, but only four minutes were added on at the end, and Romford became the first team to achieve the double over Hornchurch this season.

Tuesday 27-October-2015

HORNCHURCH 0  ROMFORD 1

HFC – Mott – Bentley – Luke – Styles © - Cooper – May – Thompson (Poku 59) – Collis (D0ve 85) – Knight (Baker 73) – Purcell – Joseph

Subs – Witherspoon – Chafer

RFC – Gough – Boswell – Woodward – Cossington – Frew – Goldstone – Giddings – Norris – Marfo – McKenzie – Burgess (Scott 80)

Subs – Barry – Potter – Reynolds – Weemes

Officials – Rob Smith with Mark Simmons and Doug Steele

Scorer – Woodward 45

Bookings – Styles 44 (H) – Marfo 84 (RFC)

Weather – 16 degrees, damp

Attendance 226

HORNCHURCH 0  ROMFORD 1

The weather was damp and depressing and so was the football – what is it about Tuesday nights?

In a one sided match, when Hornchurch had 80 percent of the territorial play, they did not manage a single shot on target. Romford themselves only managed one shot on target, and it went into the net for the only goal of the game.

It started promisingly, with Hornchurch coming forward, and with the visitors conceding a succession of free kicks. David Knight hit the first free kick wide of the post, and when Jake Giddings was penalised about ten yards outside the area, the scene was set for a George Purcell special. Purcell drove the ball over the wall, but it was a fraction too high and went over the bar. And that was the closest Hornchurch came to scoring until the half hour mark, when Nathan Cooper headed a Joey May corner against the bar.

Earlier, Purcell out a shot wide after good work by Abs Thompson, Knight fired wide from an Alex Bentley centre, and Junior Luke went close, again from a Bentley centre.

Romford did not threaten until three minutes from the interval, when Akwasi Marfo dragged a half chance wide of the post.

But as the first half entered stoppage time, Elliot Styles was booked for a foul, and George Woodward took the free kick, which seemed to surprise Sam Mott, who could not prevent the ball entering the net for the only goal of the game.

Hornchurch came out strongly in the second half, with Tobi Joseph making two good runs along the left, but on both occasions the cross was met by a massed defence. As the match progressed, there were numerous stoppages, all for injuries to visiting players, and Hornchurch grew increasingly desperate, with a succession of high balls being headed away with monotonous regularity.

Romford threatened just once, on the hour mark, when Bentley made an excellent tackle to prevent a possible scoring chance after a mix-up in defence.

The closest Hornchurch came was when Joseph headed wide from a May free kick, the only other chance coming when the visiting defence sliced a long throw by Junior Luke narrowly past the post for a corner.

We expected several minutes of stoppage time, after the many injuries and blatant time wasting, but only four minutes were added on at the end, and Romford became the first team to achieve the double over Hornchurch this season.

Blatant time wasting??????

What did you expect, romford boy? Objectivity?

No not really.

I suppose the logical thing to do if Hornchurch object to our physio attending our injured players is for their guys to stop fouling them. Rather frustratingly for us sometimes, Romford just dont do time wasting.

If the referee (who I thought had a good game) allowed play to continue until midnight its unlikely Hornchurch would have scored, so blowing up slightly earlier than expected probably saved their fans even more misery.

Just want to get this correct Alan - at no point did any of your players dive , play-act or time waste throughout the entire game? I'm sure the officials at Hornchurch will watch the recording with eager anticipation with the only football team in history other than Nottingham forest to do that - At no point did a Romford fan shout out loudly on the half way line about Havering council in clear earshot of the Hornchurch fans either? there might be a possibility of the match recording picking that up as well. Seriously Alan , if you did have any credibility on this forum left, you haven't now. As for the game, it had 0 0 written all over it and you had a huge slice of luck. Enjoy your cup final wins and Romford can go back to mid-table obscurity for the rest of the season.

Just want to get this correct Alan - at no point did any of your players dive , play-act or time waste throughout the entire game? I'm sure the officials at Hornchurch will watch the recording with eager anticipation with the only football team in history other than Nottingham forest to do that - At no point did a Romford fan shout out loudly on the half way line about Havering council in clear earshot of the Hornchurch fans either? there might be a possibility of the match recording picking that up as well. Seriously Alan , if you did have any credibility on this forum left, you haven't now. As for the game, it had 0 0 written all over it and you had a huge slice of luck. Enjoy your cup final wins and Romford can go back to mid-table obscurity for the rest of the season.

I would hardly describe six relatively easy points against a p1ss poor side as "cup final wins",lol, and quite frankly we have played much better than we did in the two games against Hornchurch, and lost. 

Nice example of sour grapes, there, cup of tea....

I think Simon (cup of tea) is trying to wind us up Pete, and is not being serious, although as Hornchurch have so much to be humble about, a little humility would have been more appropriate.

Edited by romford boy

I think Simon (cup of tea) is trying to wind us up Pete, and is not being serious, although as Hornchurch have so much to be humble about, a little humility would have been more appropriate.

I am clearly a bad loser no doubt about it and I have lashed out here but there needs to be a recognition of all the hard work and effort that the current board has put into this club. They inherited 100,000 pounds of debt and have paid back every penny, the club has contributed to charities, bought a whole range of youth sides into the club, thereby putting back into the community. If they've needed funding then there's been a lot of volunteers giving their time up for free making that happen. Unfortunately that side of the club doesn't get reported on, instead our past history is continually being dragged up and that's a shame. That's what I really get annoyed about.

I am hoping that Havering council will recognise the current status of the football club and not what has gone on previously that the current setup had absolutely no control over.

Simon, that lot from Romford are pretty level headed they have a chip on both shoulders. Ask them why they sold their own ground all those years ago, was it to wander in the wilderness they find themselves in now .................

I am clearly a bad loser no doubt about it and I have lashed out here but there needs to be a recognition of all the hard work and effort that the current board has put into this club. They inherited 100,000 pounds of debt and have paid back every penny, the club has contributed to charities, bought a whole range of youth sides into the club, thereby putting back into the community. If they've needed funding then there's been a lot of volunteers giving their time up for free making that happen. Unfortunately that side of the club doesn't get reported on, instead our past history is continually being dragged up and that's a shame. That's what I really get annoyed about.

I am hoping that Havering council will recognise the current status of the football club and not what has gone on previously that the current setup had absolutely no control over.

Agree absolutely with the first paragraph, but don't have a clue why you keep talking about Havering Council.

I'm not a bad loser and most of us aren't,well done to romford for finding a way to beat us when their resources are obviously less than ours and to do it twice shows it wasn't a fluke first time,but as I've said,to do it against your biggest rivals,and dress that term down as much as you want Alan,but we all know it's true for the majority,proves to me how they are cheating themselves and their fans as why they can't get results like that more frequently is something you should ask yourselves.

I'm not a bad loser and most of us aren't,well done to romford for finding a way to beat us when their resources are obviously less than ours and to do it twice shows it wasn't a fluke first time,but as I've said,to do it against your biggest rivals,and dress that term down as much as you want Alan,but we all know it's true for the majority,proves to me how they are cheating themselves and their fans as why they can't get results like that more frequently is something you should ask yourselves.

We ask ourselves that question all the time Rob. To be fair to our players we have played far better than we did against Hornchurch, and lost. We won both games because we got our tactics absolutely spot on, I would imagine other managers have noted our tactics and you can expect more of the same for the rest of the season.

Lovely as it was doing the double over our noisy neighbours nothing will ever be better than beating Chelmsford, although as long as you lot see us as rivals, and it puts bums on seats long may it last.

Edited by romford boy

Beating Chelmsford? You've got a long memory, Romford boy...."

I remember a certain Romford striker, named Chandler, scoring a  hat-trick in a big win at New Writtle street  ( a proper football ground) back in the early seventies, a few years after they won the Southern League Title. Mind you, I also remember Brentwood beating The Clarets ha ha . 

Sadly, local non league football "aint what it used to be". The decent grounds have gone, along with the decent crowds. Most of the time these days, it is a matter of surviving off scraps financially.

Enjoyed reading this banter - good luck in your respective leagues.

Edited by blue pilgrim